SLC 36 Cam's Build

My sons favorite part of the build so far, 3" SS J bends. I better cut these up soon or they'll disappear. I picked up a z-06 Vette exhaust, cheap on ebay right now. These cata are huge. I think i fit it but worried about weld shrinkage on 304 ss to 409 ss. So i'm making one weld, carting it back to the SLc and tacking up the 2nd one.

Does anyone see a problem with this cat getting anything too hot. Anyone? anyone? Bueller?

Good progress, Cam!

I'm planning to build heat shields around the cats and some of the exhaust to protect the transmission, the shifter cables, and the clutch hydraulics. I see you still have the original FGT foil insulation around the clutch flex line, which is a start. I will cover mine with one of the Aeroquip or similar hose covers.

I expect to run a trans cooler, and use minimal shielding for the exhaust, which I hope will be adequate to keep the transaxle cool. We don't get as hot, or as hot for as long, as you do in Texas, but I think a cooler for these transaxles is a good idea.

-Will

, but I think a cooler for these transaxles is a good idea.

-Will

Are you planning on tracking your car?

I'm 50/50 on using a cooler - I have 0 plans to track it, but I would like to make certain it lasts until the end of time (mechanically)

Are you planning on tracking your car?

I'm 50/50 on using a cooler - I have 0 plans to track it, but I would like to make certain it lasts until the end of time (mechanically)

The FGT folks have found that a trans cooler is a Good Thing, even for stock cars. So it seems like a reasonable add-on for our cars, especially as it already comes with fittings and an internal pump.

I probably will run a few track days, but that's not the intended purpose for the car. The track days will be used mostly to dial the car in, and fine tune the suspension and brakes. Any fun will be strictly a side-effect :evil:

Cam and all,
For those that have an LS7 (or any LS if the dimensions are the same) engine in thier car - if you still have the manifold in a forward facing (stock) position. Can you tell me how much room there is between the throttle body mount surface and the firewall?

Or if that's not possible could you tell me where the TB mount surface is in relation to a nearby engine surface? For example "two inches forward of the left cylinder head" or "one inch forward of the water pump mount surface".

thanks Guys

The FGT folks have found that a trans cooler is a Good Thing, even for stock cars. So it seems like a reasonable add-on for our cars, especially as it already comes with fittings and an internal pump.

I probably will run a few track days, but that's not the intended purpose for the car. The track days will be used mostly to dial the car in, and fine tune the suspension and brakes. Any fun will be strictly a side-effect :evil:

Oh goodie, another thing i have to figure out where to put :laugh:

Cam and all,
For those that have an LS7 (or any LS if the dimensions are the same) engine in thier car - if you still have the manifold in a forward facing (stock) position. Can you tell me how much room there is between the throttle body mount surface and the firewall?

Or if that's not possible could you tell me where the TB mount surface is in relation to a nearby engine surface? For example "two inches forward of the left cylinder head" or "one inch forward of the water pump mount surface".

thanks Guys
Mesa, i've flipped my induction on the ls376 and get the following measurements.
Drivers side cylinder head to firewall 5.5"
Passenger side clyinder head ot firewall 6.5"
Induction to firewall at the closest point around 5.5"
Not alot of room for front dress. I've got around 3/8" from water pump return after cutting and rewelding.

I hadn't though about sheilding the cats. I was most concerned with melting the Rubber CV boots. Good idea. what do you guys think about header wrap for insulating the exhaust ?
HSP301050 - Exhaust Heat Wrap - 1" Wide X 1/16" Thick X 50' Long - Premium Grade - HSP301050

Heatshield products claimed it will increase horsepower, blah blah blah. Might look a little nast as i start to melt tire/road debris on it, but oh well. I'd love ceramic lined headers but it's not in the cards for this build.

Originally i was thinking a street car with a day or two of track per year. Due to impending court dates for speeding tickets, i might have to plan on more track days! Those recardo oil cooling lines are so easy to tap into, it might be the best idea. I've been trying to keep focus on the driveline to get the SLC on the road then go back for things like interior, ac, oil cooling, windows, etc. Might have to change my plans!

Worked til 2am on the drivers side exhaust. The other side went deceivingly well. Mhis Z06 down tube smacks firmly into the frame. Booo! Probably my biggest setback so far. I've gotta do major welding sugury or go back to LS3 2.5" exhaust.

Huh, now that the tail is back, i find out it makes a great workspace/table. It doubles as a dinette some nites...

Attachments

• P1181403.jpg
    P1181403.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 847
I think they weree right on the type of stainless. The LS7 exhaust seemed to be 309 hydroformed SS and welded up nicely to the 304 mandrel bends. I'll start from the front and piece by piece, weld them to the mufflers...

Attachments

• P1201393.jpg
    P1201393.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 498
Thanks Cam,
You are haulin' the mail over there! I have not posted much in my own build log lately since its a pain to post pics. Currently making a fiberglass part which will serve as ducting for the roof scoop. Either ducting cool air to the cabin or to the engine or both.

I think they weree right on the type of stainless. The LS7 exhaust seemed to be 309 hydroformed SS and welded up nicely to the 304 mandrel bends. I'll start from the front and piece by piece, weld them to the mufflers...

Mufflers?? We don't need no stinkin' mufflers!

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Cam,
You are haulin' the mail over there! I have not posted much in my own build log lately since its a pain to post pics. Currently making a fiberglass part which will serve as ducting for the roof scoop. Either ducting cool air to the cabin or to the engine or both.

Cam - You are making tremendous progress!

Rob - I'd love to see what you are up to on this. I've been debating whether I should duct to the engine or interior - I'd love to see an "either/or" option! By the way, I'm FINALLY starting to work on my SLC!

Dave L

Thanks. Chopping that Stainless downtube and reconnecting was some work. The cut left behind 3/8" gaps that were tricky to weld/hammer closed. I drove the piece 2.5 hour east to a guy who used to weld on nuclear power plants, I trust his welding.
I realize i've been working past midnight the last 7 days in a row, the wife is real happy!

Got the final welds finished on the LS7 exhaust and they fit up perfect to the LS376. If anyone in Tx needs some tricky Tig SS or Al welds, i'd highly recommend Meeks Custom Welding, LLC

Now i've gotta figure out a way to x-pipe these. i think i see a way...

Attachments

• P1241406.jpg
    P1241406.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 552
  • P1281411.JPG
    P1281411.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 619
Does anyone see a problem with this cat getting anything too hot. Anyone? anyone? Bueller?

I have a dislike for cats now. They don't just get hot, they get really hot. Personally, I would not want that thing near those CV boots which will crack from the heat, and I would not be thrilled with it so near the damper either, but I have no experience there. I might try to gut it if you can. And I would make heat shields if you cannot.

Nice work though!

Back