SLC Aftermarket Seat Option

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Wayne - Very nicely done! I'd love to see any in-process photos you have if you don't mind sharing them. What are your plans for the new seats - will you be upholstering them?

Dave L

This is what I did to settle my seat options. I cut up the existing RCR seat and reshaped and added sections. Another owner did something very similar. The new version shown is an unfinished plug, which is the reason for the large flange around perimeter.
I have some additional pics of the work in progress.

I made a template of the shape I wanted so I could duplicate both sides.
In image "seat1", I removed about an inch of gelcoat on both sides and glued urethane foam strips around perimeter. I the glassed over the 1" raw edge and the foam, then chipped out the foam and reinforced the back side for strength. Formed the headrest area the same way and rounded the top corners. I tried various shapes of belt cut outs and decided on these. I'll make three individual cushion for each seat like the B5's. So far I'm very pleased with the shape and the fitment. The hump between the the legs adds a lot to the seat. I need to wet sand with some finer paper, polish it, then make the mold. I will make my first attempt of making the end product in cf. Even though it's the same seat it is more comfortable and roomy.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_0225.JPG
    IMG_0225.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 474
  • Seat1.JPG
    Seat1.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 484
  • Seat3.JPG
    Seat3.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 445
you can see that this only has the mounting pocket mounted on one side of the mock up currently but it will actually be on both sides..

Having a visualization problem. . .

Is this a mockup of the seat, or a mockup of the mold? I'm trying to imagine what the production edges will look like.

I think I may have stumbled upon a seat that will fit the SL-C looks good, is comfortable and is sporty. It comes not from a car but a ATV
the 2013 John Deere Gator RSX850i
I was looking this thing over thinking this is pretty cool when it hit me these seats maybe the perfect fit, bottom seat 20" wide 17" deep 36" tall only problem its a fixed back but they have small tubes attaching the back rest and could be bent to the angle that suits the driver quite easily, just waiting to hear back on a price they are made in Ohio and are sold seperately. In the pic shown the sides look white but are more like a brushed alum silver.

Attachments

• 2013_john-deere_gator-rsx850i_close-up_seats_.jpg
    2013_john-deere_gator-rsx850i_close-up_seats_.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 452
  • John_Deere_Gator_RSX850i_-.jpg
    John_Deere_Gator_RSX850i_-.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 374
Grant, I don't have the car here to measure but 36" tall may be too tall. I am using the FFR GTM II seats and I believe they are 34" or so in height. Allan had GTM seats in his car at one point and his picture is clearer than mine when showing the seat height.-- Shark

Attachments

• IMGP1575.jpg
    IMGP1575.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 462
Grrrrr you maybe right I thought my seats were 36" tall but they are 35" and they just fit. Crap !! back to the drawing board. Looks like I am going to be building them from scratch any one wanna trade some seats for an industral sewing machine ;).
Cheers,
Grant

The cipher ones are the ones people use now in the SLc. I have a pair for my future build already. I think it was already posted on the first pages.

It took a while to find the seats on the Cipher site I clicked on Cipher models button and instead of seats it came up with Tracey Nova and Jen S and then I forgot why I was on there LOL.
Has any one seen the CPA 1026 seats with the strips? If so, how do look? and could some one the size of Dwayne Johnson sit in them comfortably?
Thanks
Grant

Missed them then, II know they are pretty popular with the Pro-Touring builds. Which is where I saw them. As we are working on a build with a friend that is using a pair of them.

could some one the size of Dwayne Johnson sit in them comfortably?

Maybe not. I sat in them at SEMA. I'm 6ft and 170lbs. Apparently if you are over 5' 9" your head will hit the ceiling as the bottoms have too much cushioning. Also, if I added approx. 90 lbs I don't think I'd be very comfortable in them, and/or I'd completely overwhelm the shape of the seat.

I have my set sitting in my media room and use them there. They are ok. I wish we had a Recaro or sparco high end seat option. I got mine for $329 shipped for the pair.

GTM II - seats installed: I'm 6' - 185lbs - they feel comfortable & don't crush my ribs/back/shoulders. I wish they had harness cut-outs but they do not. Until somebody finds a seat that is more comfortable, fits me and the car and doesn't cost a wheel barrow of gold coins I'm sticking with these.

Attachments

• IMGP2230-GTM Seat.jpg
    IMGP2230-GTM Seat.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 488
  • IMGP2231-GTM Seat.jpg
    IMGP2231-GTM Seat.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 361
  • IMGP2233-GTM Seats.jpg
    IMGP2233-GTM Seats.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 476
Thanks for the pic's Mike, I know now that they won't work for me. The bolsters are to high for my hip's. I like the way the head rests are canted forward, the Proseats I bought don't do this but they have lower bolsters. What I need is the back half of yours and the bottom half of mine and we'd be close.

Hi Gents,
Refer back to post #79 on this thread. Wayne and I are about ready to complete the mold for ours. Gain a lot of hip room from the standard seats on which this is based.
Just sayin!

Jack - that modified seat does look good, but besides fixing my damaged surfboard back in 1976, I have no fiberglass skills.... :bigcry:

Back