Solo round the world challenge

Anyone else following Ellen Macarthur's attempt to beat the fastest time around the world (sailing that is!).

If you are not aware of this the information is fascinating.
Look at http://www.teamellen.com

This woman has real guts.

Dave,
I am a sailor too and was the one who convinced the boss on being the sponsor of Belgacom trimaran at the time.
Ellen is simply someone appart in this world,but really amazing...I have as much as Jacky Ickx admiration for such people.
Fred

Ellen is currently smoking along at about 28 knots (bursts up to 36 apparently) south of the Australian bight, halfway between Melbourne and Antartica! She is estimated to be 2 days ahead of the record - terrific graphics of the progress.

Having a fair amount of dingy sailing (Fireball) on the Solent, being in the Southern Ocean would frighten me to death!!

Fantastic. She's done it. The record is hers. The French will probably claim it is for men only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Regards

And of course she did it in an Australian built boat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Regards

Keith

Oh dear, not that old chestnut again. OK, designed by an Englishman and engineered here in the New Forest, but most importantly sailed by a Brit and a woman at that. Who cares? It's an achievment in any language. Next? Your daddy bigger than mine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just pointing out that OZ had a part in this great achievement. Not trying to stir the pot when it comes to sport. I'll save that up until we beat the Poms at Darts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Regards

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
I'd like to borrow the dvd when you've finished with it Pete /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And she's set another record as the youngest woman to receive the title of "Dame". (Book makers had the odds at 4/1 she'd get it by the end of the year)

Being Belgian I have the freedom to make this remark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif:
English need a woman to beat the French...
I assume I lost my last English friend by now;)

Fred /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith

You had a FRIEND, an English friend????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Back