Sorry, Meat!Hi Meat,

Hi Meat,

Apologies for pointing out the incorrect spelling of Bob Bondurant’s name. I didn’t realise it was poor etiquette to point out an error.

I’ve been a freelance journalist for 37 years I suppose one tends to become nit-picky. Also there are of course many differences between English English and American English spelling and expressions. I would agree that for an English guy to find fault with American English would be unnecessary and unethical.

Furthermore my wife is editorial director of National Publishing (Pty) Ltd, a company that publishes a range of professional trade journals. Her particular baby in the stable is PACKAGING REVIEW, South Africa’s leading magazine in that field. Now you won’t find a greater nit-picker than my Virgo wife! She edits my articles and my book on the history of the original Kyalami circuit, that I’ve been writing for the past 19 years, with a mean microscope! So I have that to contend with as well!!

Another point that motivated my correction is that I did a Dale Carnegie course many moons ago. What stuck with me was one lecture where we told that that the sweetest sound to any person is his or her name and surname. We were told that it’s bad manners not to spell a person’s name correctly, for example in a letter or written invitation. The lecturer went on to say that you should phone someone to check on the name or look it up in the telephone book before putting pen to paper. Like if someone’s name is MacDonald don’t address him as McDonald.

Anyway, Meat, hope you accept my explanation. No offence meant!

Take it easy GT40 buddies!
Andre 40

Have to agree Andre. In very poor taste to incorrectly pronounce or misspell one's name, especially someone as revered as Bondurant. Time for some re-education.

J-car,
So what's your point? making an honest mistake is unexceptable as well. I would have prefered sending you an e-mail but it appears that your profile is sparse. Anonimity is a good thing for people who enjoy stirring the pot.
It was just that, an honest mistake. You my friend had to go out of your way to bring up a topic that had otherwise passed by a week ago. Thanks for being a contributer to this forum, NOT !..
If you have any further comments to me about this subject feel free send me an e-mail. It's in my profile.

Hersh
smile.gif

PS. I know Mr. Bondurant, He is gentleman that, in my opinion, would not be petty about such things.

I agree Hershle, This a car site not English 101. I'm sure Andrew would argee also.
Jon
wink.gif

Back