Southern GT #48

Ed McClements

Supporter
It should be clear of any of the chassis parts, will take a snap or two!!
Yeah...I just meant it's sitting on the chassis at the moment, because the gearbox mounts are wrong. When I fix that issue, it'll raise the gearbox slightly, angling the engine down slightly. It's only five degrees or so. Are the engine mounts handed?

Ed McClements

Supporter
It might be worth mentioning that the the bolts for the Renault slave cylinder are an odd size 7mm.
I use Mick's AP clutch setup on my car. I have an adaptor plate to the Renault bell housing. After much trial and error I got to this setup. Chris Cole release bearing and upgraded carrier and sleeved down slave cylinder. I eventually settled on a 3/4" master cylinder connected by 1/4" pipe. Throw and pedal pressure acceptable. I removed the original riveted pin that holds the slave actuating rod to the clutch fork. I replaced the pin with an HT bolt and made up my own new rod of the correct length so I had a smallestl amount of backlash of a few thou. I believe Mick sells an adjustable rod for this purpose.
Cheers
Mike

7mm...how very continental! I took the 'box I bought from eBay to Chris Cole a couple of years ago, and he fitted a high 5th gear, 4-planet diff and supplied a flywheel, AP racing clutch & cover, overhauled the slave and provided these mounts. There's a new release bearing and a modified carrier, too.

Shaun

Supporter
Ok looked at mine, the gearbox does just touch the chassis rail so I will pack mine up slightly, its bang on level "ish" though as Mike says maybe a few degrees off but you can see from the level as us builders say "within the lines"
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
As Mike says bloody odd size I tapped mine to 8mm no way could I find 7mm bolts, it taps ok but as there is no through bolt its bot ideal
Have you got the brackets the right way up? Not sure if they can be swapped but worth a check :)

I'M NOT A MECHANIC. THAT BEING SAID, A FORD V8 MOUNTED IN THE FRONT (REAR WHEEL DRIVE) DOES NOT SIT LEVEL.. IT SLOPES DOWN IN THE REAR. SO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD MOUNTING SURFACE FOR THE CARB HAS TO BE MADE LEVEL BY MAKING IT HIGHER IN THE BACK . IT SLOPES DOWN IN THE FRONT. MY GT40 MOTOR IS LEVEL BUT MY CARB IS NOT ....IT SLOPES DOWN IN THE FRONT. THIS DOES NOT EFFECT PERFORMANCE. SOME CHOOSE TO USE A CARB WEDGE PLATE TO LEVEL THE CARB.
THIS IS ANOTHER GREAT BUILD...I ENJOY THE UPDATES.. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

Shaun

Supporter
Wish I had found those Mike !! I think the issue I had is that I was not 100% sure what the thread was!!

Ed McClements

Supporter
Ok looked at mine, the gearbox does just touch the chassis rail so I will pack mine up slightly, its bang on level "ish" though as Mike says maybe a few degrees off but you can see from the level as us builders say "within the lines"
View attachment 106060
View attachment 106061
View attachment 106062
View attachment 106063
As Mike says bloody odd size I tapped mine to 8mm no way could I find 7mm bolts, it taps ok but as there is no through bolt its bot ideal
Have you got the brackets the right way up? Not sure if they can be swapped but worth a check :)

Thanks again Shaun. I see in the first pic that your gearbox mounts don't locate on what I had assumed were the chassis mounts tabs about 100mm forward from the current position of your rubber bobbins.

Shaun

Supporter
Mine was an "odd" box so Mick made some brackets up, they actually work very well
Mick at SGT must have read our chat as he said you can Dremmel a small amount off the casing to get clearance!! I'll give it a go later today,

View attachment 106060
View attachment 106061
View attachment 106062
View attachment 106063
Nice choice of spirit level, if it helps here is a rough conversion to decimal
C54F7037-F441-4510-AEC7-7DBF44C8B3FD.jpeg

Calling fellow Southern GT builders...

So that I can route the clutch line and finish the gearshift linkage I needed to fit the 'box, which meant mounting the set-up block (a tatty old '72 Torino / Fairlane, I think).

49820673381_d19439b8fd_o.jpg

Please excuse the state of the workshop!

I have Mick's engine mounts, and Chris Cole's gearbox mounts (which are way off, and will need to be returned). Even so, it's clear that the engine is slightly nose-downwards in the chassis....is this normal in SGT builds?
Any chance you've got the SGT mounts upside down?
It's easily done :mad:
Single spare should be at the top I believe.

When I trial fitted bits on the bare chassis I got it wrong.
I also had to dremel away at one of the SGT gearbox mounts as it fouled on the casing slightly.
Can't remember which one it was or which box it's now in :oops:

Shaun

Supporter
Yes you do have to modify the bracket a little I remember doing that now Mark mentions it, mind you they were wrong for my box.
My brackets have the single leg at the top and worth checking for sire as the bolt holes are the same top and bottom so easily done

Still can't see what's wrong - here are my mounts:-

49867261122_b9f2be3b2a_o.jpg

49866415873_9ffc1abb3b_o.jpg

The gearbox is a UN1-013 from a Renault 21 Turbo, so same casing and mounts as most UN1's...right?
Now this might be an optical illusion caused by camera angles but it looks like the long engine mounting bolt centre is about halfway between the top and bottom of the bracket.
The brackets I've got have this pin very biased towards the top.
Overall bracket height of mine is 243mm and the engine mounting hole centre is 70mm from the top.

What do yours measure?

Is your set suited for use with the ZF gearbox which I'm sure I was told at some point is mounted lower in the SGT?

Ed McClements

Supporter
Now this might be an optical illusion caused by camera angles but it looks like the long engine mounting bolt centre is about halfway between the top and bottom of the bracket.
Overall bracket height of mine is 243mm and the engine mounting hole centre is 70mm from the top.

What do yours measure?

Is your set suited for use with the ZF gearbox which I'm sure I was told at some point is mounted lower in the SGT?

Good question...hang on a minute...

<runs off to garage....>

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hard to photograph, but...

49867064731_72c956c011_o.jpg

49867377272_dfb1a68bf2_o.jpg

The engine mounting bolt is just under 100mm from the top of the engine mount. Is this 30mm too low?

Ed McClements

Supporter

What do yours measure?

Ladies and gentlemen....we have a winner! ZF mounts and UN-1 'box. Mick will sort it out next week, after a well-earned 3-day weekend.

Back