SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
A Laugh A Minute

Mhhhm

a Hall effect valve regulating the engine vacuum, creating an musical whistle ( may be playing "STARS AND STRIPES").
Sorry for that, but i had such good laugh.
TOM

Tom, when you're happy, I'm happy.

Thanks for the reference link of the hall effect, and thanks too for the tips on SP wiring and new plugs.

All good things, Robert :thumbsup:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
New Dual Sync Distributor Installed

Late Friday afternoon, the new replacement dual sync FAST distributor arrived. The car was rendered inoperable for nearly two weeks due to previous distributor mishap. Once the new distributor was installed, the engine and engine tune returned to normal, and that was truly a wonderful event. There was a longer than normal delay due to wait for special distributor cam gear: a special type of steel gear made to work with a steel billet solid roller cam gear such as mine, rather than brass or composite. Here's a well written article on this interesting subject: Selecting The Correct Distributor Gear – It’s All About The Details - StangTV.com

We will be working a great deal this week to prepare for the Fabulous Fords Forever car show next Sunday at the huge Knox Berry Farm facility in Buena Park, California. A record number of cars have registered this year: over 2,000. We will attempt to video the event. Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Large Car Show California, p2285 was there . . .

Fabulous Fords Forever Car Show At Knox Berry Farm, Buena Park, California

SAME MOVIE - Choice Of Two Formats

Mp4 HD - Play with Quick Time Player

FLASH HD - Will play on both Apple and Windos and has its own player

Movies have high quality images and sound, and file sizes are accordingly large.

Click Here For mp4 Movie

Click Here For Flash Movie

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice video Robert.. Only the MP4 would play on my iPad. Great editing..

Your car was a show stopper! Very nice indeed!!!

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
What It Be Like Bein' Me . . . .

Robert,
Beautiful car and nice video. I always thought it was "Knotts" Berry Farm?
Bill

Bill, Busted again!

I've expended much energy attempting to conceal the extent of my ignorance. I should have stayed and finished school, but school was not kind to me. Toward the end, and only on rare occasions, I scored a good grade on a test. I said to my teacher: see, I'm not as dumb as I look. She fired back with: no worry, you could never be that dumb.

Only a month passed after opening my first checking account. I received several notices that I had bounced checks! I went to the branch immediately, and said to the teller with strong conviction: I couldn't be out of money, I still had blank checks left in my checkbook. They tried to explain it to me, but I left with no resolution. Worse, I heard muffled laughter as I left the building.

I took immediate refuge with my few friends behind the green door. Thanks to them, I'm now the person I think I am.

Life isn't fair sometimes, huh. Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Good Tidings To You Sir

Nice video Robert.. Only the MP4 would play on my iPad. Great editing..

Your car was a show stopper! Very nice indeed!!!

Thanks Randy. It's always a joy hearing from you. Guess you struggled with what to say about the Knox thing . . .

It Happens.

Blessings, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Eye Candy

This may interest many 351w fans. I purchased this over a year ago with plans to use it on my p2285. It's a long story, but I ended up not using it. I held on to it though hoping someday to use it. I consider it high grade eye candy.

Also, back when I purchased it the maker was not then a forum advertiser, but they are now. I left this manifold at my mechanic's shop, since he loves to share it with his customers. He phoned me today, and said that they placed it temporarily on another newly received 351w crate engine. They snapped a couple of picts of this awesome 8-stack sequential EFI manifold, and just sent them to me. The design is magnificent and all the linkage, injectors, and wiring is well hidden from view.

Feast your peepers:

side-draft1.jpg side-draft2.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
p2285 Loose On The Boulevard . . .

During recent Fabulous Fords Forever show, three separate attendees came to our location and said they had seen p2285 in their city. Much to our surprise one individual pulled out his cell phone and played us a short video.

We requested a copy and he just sent it to us. The movie is short, was not edited, but the images and sound are good considering he was taking the video while shifting his manual transmission and attempting to keep his truck on the road.

p2285 cruising the highway

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Updates Upgrades

Last week p2285's engine was removed and transported to a west coast performance engine builder. If you followed this build thread, you may remember that the initial 351w/427 engine build was based around a new unused twin turbo block and internals designed for a 1200 h.p. result. However, the original customer from across the planet cancelled the order, and I inherited that engine for a very reasonable price. Changes were made to the cam and compression was raised from 8.5 to 10.5 to suite our intended use. Upon completion of the engine build, a dyno revealed the engine made 690 h.p. and 647 tq. However, the engine build was originally targeted at 750 h.p.

The upgrades and changes
We discovered the Brodix 225 heads were CNC'd but the intake ports on the heads on one of four sides were about 3/16" smaller than the EFI IR manifold ports. The heads will be properly ported to match. We shall raise the compression ratio from 10.5 to 11 by lessoning depth of dished pistons by replacing the Race Tec pistons with new set. We will likely keep the Billet cam, but will install it at 106 degrees instead of 102 degrees. The 102 install was intended to make idle more calm and low end more streetable. We are very interested to ultimately discover how these adjustments will perform during use.

The new 17" spinner wheels were fabricated in the west coast, widened in Michigan, and have now returned to Kalifornia for Gulf Lambo Orange paint and clear coat. We remain anxious to test drive p2285 with steel belted skins and compare with the current Avon bias ply race tires.

Onward, Robert

Last edited:
Robert, so sorry to hear about your accident! Were you hurt? I saw your car in the shop and it looks like major $ to repair.

Tom

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Robert, so sorry to hear about your accident! Were you hurt? I saw your car in the shop and it looks like major $ to repair.

Tom

What? I missed this somewhere along the line!!! I sure hope Robert is alright!!

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
cscott67 said:
Robert,
I saw a post about you having an accident and just wanted to check and see if you were ok. Sincerely, Scott

Greetings Scott, Thank you for your concern. My car was out of commission for 5 weeks instead of the 4 weeks that were originally estimated. The engine and trans were removed at the Fullerton shop, and the engine transported to a custom performance engine shop in Santa Fe Springs, California. Excellent family owned business.

They were amazingly good to work with. I discussed my desires for my engine, and they made them all happen.

The engine was completely disassembled, washed cleaned, each part inspected, etc. The same cam was reinstalled, but it was installed in a position that was 4 to 6 degrees different than how it was originally installed. I was told this would produce a more progressive result with both the sound and performance. It did accomplish both to my satisfaction.

Another larger accomplishment was to increase the engine compression ratio from its original 10.5:1 up to 11:1. This boosted h.p. too and enhanced the performance sounds of the engine. The boost was accomplished by installing new higher dished racing pistons and new rings. Nothing was mechanically wrong with the original pistons or rings. This performance shop also recommended a greater quench (area) distance and thus that was calculated into the new piston install.
Note: The quench area also runs cooler than the rest of the chamber/piston. These lower temperatures are where the "quench" comes from. When properly designed, the quench areas can have a tremendous effect on the quality of combustion, and allow higher compression ratios, and due to this they are considered "artificial octane" by scientific types. The bottom line is "properly designed, quench is good".

Upon inspection of the valve springs it was determined that there was some spring binding in progress. They recommended a spring upgrade and that was also accomplished.

A better high volume performance oil pump was installed and this allowed us to use the external oil cooler that was originally installed near the rear of the car, while maintaining proper oil pressure. Originally, we disconnected the external oil cooler and ran a filter in the more typical engine location to enable proper oil pressure. I learned in this process that there are high volume low pressure oil pumps and low pressure high volume oil pumps.

One of the most productive engine projects we were able to accomplish was to correctly port the intake manifold with the head intake. This added h.p., and eliminated a small very annoying noise caused by what I would describe as very tiny hardly audible ticking (miniture backfiring through the eight air cleaners) and only between 2000 and 2200 rpm. It never really caused engine problems but the fix for that eluded all of us for months (until now) including the ECU tuner.

I was unable to endure another flywheel dyno tune because the ECU and harness were both installed in my vehicle and unavailable, and the dyno company did not have the same ECU, or any ECU for my engine and 8-stack.

I do believe we met the original goal of 750 h.p., even though the first flywheel dyno result was 690 h.p. But, it really doesn't matter that much what it is. It is sporting a newer badder tude, and that's just fine with me.

All the other internal original engine parts were reused, and the engine runs really well.

During this time, I also had two hinges made and installed for the front clamshell hatch. They were slightly brushed billet aluminum and match the Talbot side mirrors and front canards.

The engine was installed and the car was running on Saturday, June 22. However, I was ill most all that week with flu and have not had time to take photos or videos of my car. I hope to accomplish that soon.

I'm fine. Still work full-time. Still old and ornery.

Thanks, Robert

Back