SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
So no crash and "only" an engine repair?

There is/are, and never was/were any places/areas on the visual areas of the surfaces of my car's body, not even 1/16" x 1/16" round, square, or odd shaped that has yet required either body work, or touch-up paint. Like most all of us, I do have scrapes and hairline cracks beneath the front nose area but those are not visible unless someone is on their knees looking up beneath the front.

I shall finish by adding that I cannot think of any possibility of how I could have been seriously injured and/or hospitalized.

I am working today but have plans to take my car out to attend the La Mirada Fireworks/4th celebration the city sponsors every year on 3 of July. I doubt if I'll have time to drag out the serious video equipment, but will take some dig picts as promised, and hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll take some more videos, because no doubt, and soon after I post the picts, some will suspect they are older shots or PhotoShopped. Robert

I shall finish by adding that I cannot think of any possibility of how I could have been seriously injured and/or hospitalized.

See here

It was reported that your car was in a bad wreck, and people have been asking if you were injured, but you never replied, so after a month of silence, most of us assumed the worst, i.e. you were in the hospital or something....

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
So no accident Robert? That is good news! Tell me you relented and put a back window in :)

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Second Try . . .

Let me know if it stops before the end, please.

Note: In the first simi circular video segment, the suspension lifts are in high position (I forgot to lower it before shooting). In the last segment shot on the lawn, the suspension lifts were in down position.

gt40 p2285 3 july

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
suits

Works fine for me Robert. I have to ask though, do you own any leisure suits :)

The only coordinated clothing I have is the orange jumpsuit the county is so generous to supply when I visit them on weekends. :drunk:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
So no accident Robert? That is good news! Tell me you relented and put a back window in :)

No, I haven't yet caught the urge to reinstall the back window, but did set it in the car frame to verify what I told you before - yea, it fits over my air cleaners with several inches to spare. Lance of SPF and other purists don't like the open look. I guess time will tell, but the window can be installed in minutes with black silicone. It would take longer to clean the glass on both sides than to install it. :laugh:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There's only one other gt40, and I use the term loosely, that I have seen without back glass. I wouldn't call those who prefer with purists Robert rather maybe those who don't, the inverse lol.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ce7WnKKmQI]Ford GT 40 - Revs, Wheelspin - YouTube[/ame]

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
GT40 p2285 Sports New Get-Alongs

We finally received and installed the long awaited new 17" rims and tires. You may remember the original set of 15" wheels with 15" Avon bias ply meats. The new set are 17" with Michelin steel belts. There were no problems with the original wheels and Avons, and for now I have them in storage.

The new rims and tires did address some of our perceived needs and desires. For one, the steel belts are no doubt safer to drive on freeways while heading to the mountains, desert, and other longer highway type adventures.

Another positive surprise aspect was the enhanced ease ability of steering at a standstill and during slow navigation parking speeds. The steering is exactly like it is powered now, but remains steady as a rock while traveling at all speeds.

There is slightly less tire wandering/tracking on uneven road surfaces. There is a noticeable increase in gas mileage because less surface area of each tire are in contact with the ground, and the tire pressure is higher making the tire surface harder, which then rolls with less friction.

The best positive surprises were the overall engineering, fabrication, quality, and appearance of the new 17" wheels. I hope I can remember all of the other individual positive aspects just now.

The finished aluminum polish is superior overall.

The wheels were fabricated in such a way that allowed the height of the spokes to remain about the same as those on the 15" wheels, so the change to 17" was not as visually adverse, or dramatic as I had worried they would be.

It is often the small things that make one happy. The numerous crotches of the wheels, where the spokes all meet together, were formed with a more gradual radius, which allows one to remove dirt in one easy move with rag-covered finger. Thus, there is no longer a need to use a soft brush to clean all the crotches of all the spokes. It was a very small change that is not visually perceivable, but saves so much work.

Another worry that did not materialize was a reduction in the nice deep setback of the polished back wheels. Even though the new 17" rear wheels are 12" wide, while the 15" wheels were 14" wide, they fabricated the rears to maintain the same deep 6" depth/recess. Masterful, to say the least.

The paint and clear coat application was very high quality, and the Gulf Orange Base color was enhanced with the same amount of gold pearl as the body was, so all matches perfectly.

The final worry we harbored was whether we could have the same wide rear tires as the 14" original wheels and Avon tires provided. The problem was not too easy to resolve initially, but ultimately the answer was yes! The Avons provided a 13.5" rear tread width, and the new steel belts have a 13.3" rear tread width. It all added up to an in-the-park home run.

Pictures to follow. Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
p2285 Wins Best Engine/Pict new wheels and tires

"Robert ( ) sits in his 1965 Ford GT40 at the second annual Yorba Linda Community Fair Chili Cook-Off and Car Show (5 October 20013)."

Car won trophy for Best Engine.

FRANK D'AMATO, FOR THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

ocr_pict_ylcarshow_2013.jpg

Photo of new tires and wheels below:

yl_car_show_2013.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Better Picts of new 17" wheels/tires

Photos provided by Photographer in attendance. Used with written permission.

gt40_1250_2.jpggt40_1250_3.jpggt40_1250-1.jpggt40_1250-4.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Where It Be

Where did you get the 17 in wheels, they look preettyy good on a 40 which is unusual.

Sean,

I purchased the wheels from a gentleman in San Diego. He was once a SPF Dealer and has been involved with the GT40 vehicles for decades. He may have even raced, but then I can't remember much anymore. :idea:

The fabrication was performed in Michigan, but the painting and polishing were accomplished in San Diego. It took a while but was worth the wait.

I THINK the forum rules forbid the mention of a company that is not a Forum Member. So, eMail me, if you desire the contact info., and I will be happy to send it. [email protected]

Thanks, Robert

Back