SPF GT40 Genesis

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Edit: remove political reference lest the masses get all worked up.

You bought the Cayman for the wife right? Ragtop? Nice little cars...

Michael,

My garage currently has P2264 and a Cayman, care to elaborate

Jim; I think he was only kidding.

Regarding paint, my car certainly has orange peel and there are a few spots where panels rub (e.g. front of passenger door). I bought mine used so there are a things I don't like (e.g. license plate mount installed directly at the back of the car) so I plan to take mine to a body shop anyway.

I have been told a good wet sand will address many of the peel issues and bring out a depth to the paint. I am not sure I want this, I like the "rough" nature of the paint as it really makes it look more 60's.

The part of the paint that bothers me the most is how easily chipped the chassis is. Fortunately I have some of the materials others on the forum used and I simply paint over the chips as they come. 10 more years and I bet I have repainted most of the chassis :)

Kevin

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting. I noticed on mine the paint on the chassis was flaking off up inside the front wheel wells. I figured I'd address this winter when I have thing up off the ground. Not to beat a dead horse but how is that quality? My car has been stored indoors in the dry Colorado climate since it's inception and had less than 5o miles on it when I noticed it, and doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere. Things don't rust here in Colorado to begin with. Just poor paint prep I'm sure. More to work on this winter and make right so no worries but let's not fool ourselves. The build quality on these cars is pretty marginal out of the box.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Michael,

I don't get the paint comments. I have an early car (P2125) and although Olthoff and later I fixed/upgraded a number of the early teething issues (non paint) and a lot of upgrade personalization has been done the paint is VERY good. I should know as I painted cars in my dad's body shop while going through school (lots of Vetts).

I did order a special color combo and stripes (paid extra for it) so maybe more attention because of that but, my MK111 SPF Cobra (all black) built in 2001 had a great paint job out of SA too.

Why didn't SPF cover/fix the imperfections. My experience is that they want to make things right

BTW I too have 2 layers of metal (a laminate) on the original shock towers (now beefed up further cuz I wanted to) with the Pathfinder plate on front and Olthoff stiffener plate on the rears.

Not a SPF advertisement but, I think the cars and dealer/headquarter support is a lot better than many.

Steve P2125

PS: As relates to Alan's comments regarding an FE (eg 600 TQ) in the SPF ;to satisfy myself I had a custom top/mounting cover foundered/machined for the RBT transaxle that has larger dog mounting ears and puts the ears up against the upper hoop. Also installed the Olthoff rear transaxle to frame mount and poly engine mounts ect. Did I need all this...no but I wanted to do it. Just like the teams did in the 60's I feel we have a great platform to start with and those of us that want to tinker and improve can and will.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
You need to go to a Rod show to see the crap that is passed off as "show quality.".

Excuse me, but I've been to quite a few Rod shows. Someone's misusing a word doesn't change its definition.

BTW the paint and panel fit on P2160 is great. And to be fair back 2-3 years ago when Lance & co. used the phrase the cars they had in the shop reasonably well measured up. But as they say in the software business, "that was the demo version."

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan I took a look at my car's rear "damper" mounts....absolutely two layers of metal, welded at the edge. Forgot to measure the thickness, though.

Steve and Ron -- as said above, you don't get to count the washer they brazed over the shock hole. That's not relevant. I'm talking about the entire inverted u-shaped shell the shock sits in. It you think yours is different take a picture of yours from the same perspective as mine of P2160, and then we'll talk.

Hey, maybe if we all clap loud enough our SPFs will suddenly be free of non-original design f--kups. Don't look too close at your parking brake though until you've clapped really hard.

Last edited:
Also,

I'm pretty sure that there are two layers of metal in the shock mount area on my car, welded or brazed at the edge. I'll chack again tonight, and post a picture.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Michael,

I don't get the paint comments. I have an early car (P2125) and although Olthoff and later I fixed/upgraded a number of the early teething issues (non paint) and a lot of upgrade personalization has been done the paint is VERY good. I should know as I painted cars in my dad's body shop while going through school (lots of Vetts).

I did order a special color combo and stripes (paid extra for it) so maybe more attention because of that but, my MK111 SPF Cobra (all black) built in 2001 had a great paint job out of SA too.

Why didn't SPF cover/fix the imperfections. My experience is that they want to make things right
I'm not sure Steve. I want to be clear I am not here to talk down SPF. I am also very pleased with the work Dennis did on my car even if it seemed rushed. They did not charge me a ton of money nor did they make a killing on me. I would recommend their services.

I am not the original owner of the car and I have had no contact with SPF directly. I bought the car as a roller from a person local to me here in Denver who had bought it new and had stored it in his heated shop for a couple years. I'm not sure what SPF could do for me at this point. My only reason for posting in this thread was I felt strongly when I read how great the fit an finish was on SPF cars. As I begin to resolve those short comings with mine I will document and post pics of before and after. I'm not going to respray the car to correct the orange peel so that I will live with and not worry about. I do stand by my assertion that the fit and finish out of the box on my 2161 was well below what it could have been with just a little extra time spent by the factory when it was assembled and painted. The extra 30 mins to properly prepped the scoop openings and set the bonnet alignment dowels correctly would have made a huge difference by itself.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I bought my car as a roller, when I looked at the car I AGREED to the purchase price, if something I didn't like along the way I didn't talk like they were responsible for it, as I PURCHASED it as it was. Yes, there are many things I didn't like but did that make them (SPF) wrong? NO it didn't, it just gave me the opportunity to make it better. At this time in my life I want to be driving my dream and everyday I get that opportunity is one more for the books, so if the paint was bad then I bought it that way, if the shock towers are bad I bought it that way, at least I realize I am responsible for my actions.

Two cocktails down and I am responsible for that too.

PS.... I am very happy

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I do stand by my assertion that the fit and finish out of the box on my 2161 was well below what it could have been with just a little extra time spent by the factory when it was assembled and painted. The extra 30 mins to properly prepped the scoop openings and set the bonnet alignment dowels correctly would have made a huge difference by itself.

Hmmm. I have 2160 which is fine, you have 2161 which is rough. Could this be my fault?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I figured mine was built on Fri afternoon and they had started drinking some cheap S African swill... You do biatch a lot my brother for having one that is "fine" lol.

Here's an idea that I bet you guys never thought of. Why don't you use the money you saved by buying your cars at a deeply reduced price, in fact thousands less than dealer price, from a guy that needed sell them and fix the paint and whatever else needs attention. Complaining after you bought new cars cheap sounds pretty cheap in itself.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Tim from Oregon with one post, I'll assume by "you guys" you mean me since I'm the only one suggesting the paint quality is not as great as some others have suggested. How do you know what I paid for my car? Be specific please which I'm sure you won't be since like many, you probably feel like you can say whatever you like hiding behind a keyboard of anonymity. I did buy my roller at under current retail and have not once went back to the seller and complained once. In fact after completion I sent him photos thanking him and telling him what a wonderful car it is. I sent the car to Olthoff to do exactly as you suggest and had him fix or upgrade anything on the car that he thought prudent to do. We discussed a repaint but decided against it for several reasons. I'm nothing but pleased with the work they did and would recommend their services. As I stated above I simply wished to provide a counter point to those who suggested the modern SPF replica has great fit and finish. I would assert is is average at best. All that said I think you are way off base with your comments and I also have an idea you may not have thought of... mind your own business!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
The more I think about what Tim from Oregon said the more I feel that it was highly inappropriate. Tim you are either talking out your back side or you have knowledge of what was a private transaction between two parties neither of which are you. I ask that you remove that post and will contact the admin regarding this request. If you wish to counter my points specifically related to the quality of the SPF products, by all means share your position. To make snarky remarks sharing details of a private transaction is inappropriate. There are three people in the world that know the details of my purchase and I will be in contact with each regarding your post.

Back