SPF MKI, Bellhousings and all the other little stuff!

Anyone familar with Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R radials? Tread looks nice and they have a size comparable to 295's.
26x12x15 as well as 26x10x15 for fronts.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
A friend ran some BF Goodrich Drag radials on his CSX Cobra - street and open track. He liked them a lot so I put some on my CAV and must say that they work real well.

295/50, 295/60, 325/50 X15 rears.....235/50X15 fronts.

Cheap, too.

Yup, I'm real happy with my Nitto Drag Radals too. Thats what all the hot street Mustangs are running.

Mike

Interesting to hear about the drag radials. I thought a Nitto rep warned against track use (road race) for these. Probably OK for street use, just not extended track use if they overheat? Nitto makes a similar tire, different compound for road racing, but not in our sizes.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I haven't tried them on the track and doubt that I would....if I was going to track the car I would get the 17's .....

"Probably OK for street use, just not extended track use if they overheat?"

Exactly. I had them on a track last Sunday for about 20 minutes and they performed great, but I wouldn't want to run the 24 Hours of LeMans on them.

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the info. I do a lot of track days with 20-30 min. sessions and wonder if the Nittos will self destruct in that time on a GT40?

Ron has asked me to open a new thread for this question so please look/post to the new thread. Thanks. It has come to my attention that the brake pads in the SPF GT40's make great racing pads but leave something to be desired for the street. Can anyone tell me the model numbers of Wilwood calipers that come on the car?

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Richard et al,

You guys are assembling some good information, but you might want to start new threads to maintain the information instead of posting different questions to the same thread.

The brakes are a perfect example. Starting a new thread about the brake calipers will help out in the future when someone needs some SPF brake info.

Car arrived home for the first time at 5pm today thanks in great part to Lynn Miner. Thanks Lynn for all the help and the use of your truck and enclosed trailer. Now the real work begins. :pepper:

Last edited:
Sorry to ressurrect an old thread...but I outfitted my MKII with an RBT and 17" wheels. The wheel/tire diameter is now 25.7" instead of 28", so I've lost >1" of ground clearance. Richard, I know that you were considering a skid plate to protect the bellhousing. Were you able to fabricate one? I am considering that or if it's possible, adjusting the suspension. Can anyone suggest a possible solution to avoid damaging the transaxle? The memory of that sound still sends chills down my spine.

Thanks,

Michael

Does anybody have contact info that is current for Bob Wood?
The phone numbers posted last year are not good and there is no listing for Safir GT40 spares in Ohio.
I am interested in the bellhousing and clutch assembly for my SPF MKI.
Thanks, Dave

2214 is finally up and running, we drove it to Reno last week, round trip of 1200 miles.
I installed the Safir bell housing and flywheel/clutch combo and it works very well.
The clutch is very smooth and the lighter weight does not affect the launch of the car.
I highly recommend it.
Dave

David, good to hear your car is running well. I'm getting closer every day and I should be doing a trial engine install this weekend. Then of course there is the whole wiring and plumbing problems. The only reason this is a trial install is the fact after all this time it turns out they sent the wrong headers with my car 351 insted of 302. We figured this out last week when we started installing them, also after about $500 in O2 bungs and ceramic coating. The O2 bungs and coating was done before I got my engine. Very hard to tell the differance when you don't have an engine to try them on.

Superformance is getting a set sent out of S.A. but at this point I don’t have a ship date.

Last edited:
Richard, good luck on a quick replacement of the exhausts, it took about 6 months to get my 302 headers!
The factory was closed for a month in December and then they had to find a container to piggy back them to the US in.
But it was all worth it in the end, the car is awesome!
Dave

Yes I remember the problems you had. There was some talk of having mine shipped by air. I'm still hopeful at this point. Strange SPF doesn’t stock at least one set here in the states to cover issues like mine and yours.

My biggest issue will be if I can’t use my current collectors with the O2 bungs installed. I would think they would be the same but maybe you can answer that question as you have both sets.

By the way your clutch parts are working out great. However if I had to do it again I would go with an internal one. Along time ago you posted picture of your slave cylinder setup on your CAV but it doesn’t show any “return” springs and I was surprised that the slave cylinder has an internal one that pushes out. Well anyway if you have a picture handy that shows the springs I would appreciate seeing one.

Attachments

• IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 298
Hi Richard, your collectors should work.
A spring is not needed on the slave set up, when you adjust it push the piston all the way down into the slave, adjust the clevis so that you have about 1/8 inch of clearance off the clutch fingers.
The bearing that Mcleod supplies is a full run bearing, the clutch will push everything back and the bearing will sit against the fingers of clutch but that is ok.
Dave

David.

Really, how cool is that on the throughout bearing. Should make it easy.

SPF says their trying to get the headers air shipped soon. Had to order offset pins today because the trans flange was .030 offset.

I've also done some additional machining on the bellhousing to work with the SPF GT40. Engine should go in this weekend to start wiring and plumbing but without the headers.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_4453.JPG
    IMG_4453.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_4455.JPG
    IMG_4455.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 308
Last edited: