Status of Spyder (Roadster) Conversions?

There has been some discussion in the past regarding several replica manufacturers building a Spyder (Roadster) version GT40.

I know the history of the few early CAV cars and I know Fran Hall (RCR) has built a few in the past.

Is there anything new to report? I think if existing molds could be modified for a more open car, I think a lot of guys like me---non-racers---but lovers of the GT40 would be interested.

As a 6 ft.2 guy, I simply do not want a car with a Gurney bubble, fixed side windows, and the necessity of a removeable steering wheel. Too claustrophobic!

ERA has a prototype, but Peter will not even quote a price; which seems rather self-defeating.

I figured I would go the 2005/06 Ford GT route to find a better "fitting" car but their prices are ever moving upwards.

I'm afraid I will have to move to the "dark side", a 63 Corvette GrandSport replica to provide the room and more importantly, the enjoyment of the car.

Any thoughts?

DandyDon

Don,

I myself have been contemplating a GT40 replica, I'm 6ft.1 and was afraid that i would struggle to fit inside one. While the idea of a "spyder" version sound great have you actually sat in one??

I say this as i went to the RF factory to inquire about this very same problem. I spent nearly two hours there talking to Paul, he had told me that they move the pedals further down for tall guys, At the time i thought to myself "yeah sure". We went into the workshop and I sat in a few of the car they had there and no problems at all. I'm not sure weather this is just in a RF car but i had plenty of room I could put a helmet on no problems.

I'm not interested in racing and would use it for street use with the exception of a track day or two. The RF cars are offered with Air-con to provide a livable cockpit.

Hope my impressions and experience may help you.

Tristan.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
6' 3", average build, RCR40. Not an issue.

Check around. You can pretty much fit the car to your physique. I can shut the door without ducking. You may end up putting in a custom seat or something but it's no reason to write off getting the roofed version.

Chris

DRB also do a modified cabin in their car with the footwell moved forward and lowered floors, several owners of these cars are well over 6ft tall.

Darrell DRB#46
LS1 G50

Cheaper option is to get a normal replica and cut the windows and roof cut outs of the doors off. You would then end up with something like a T-Top.

Kevin

I have an old version of the Spyder and I very much enjoy the open air aspect of it and prefer it to the coupe on both the track and street, but it is a fair weather car obviously.

The roll cage is from a coupe...

Attachments

• 002.jpgsmall.jpg
    002.jpgsmall.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 450
  • SVRA-6ZX3CW.jpg
    SVRA-6ZX3CW.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 587
  • DSCF0618.JPG
    DSCF0618.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 452
Very nice Johan. Do you know if the windshield is an original or is it sourced from something else?

Last edited:
The windshield is an original glass spyder piece but could be fabricated from lexan pretty simply I should imagine, and I know I should never make statements like that as they come back to haunt me..

For road use a windshield usually needs a DOT approval stamp which means laminated glass w/ plastic layer in middle. This is generally a good thing as it helps to keep objects out of your lap.!!

Thank you.. I remember the first time I laid eyes on it in the paddock at Road America in the early 1990s.
It was painted red and was the prettiest thing I had ever seen on 4 wheels. I remember the anticipation of its arrival being almost un-endurable, like a birthday party to a 5 year old.
When it finally arrived I had to park it on the lawn until I made room for it in the garage.
There was a path of dead grass circling the car from pacing around it for hours at a time.
I have considered selling it a few times as I don't drive it very much, but I always change my mind after
cleaning it up and taking it for a spin.

Thank you.. I remember the first time I laid eyes on it in the paddock at Road America in the early 1990s.
It was painted red and was the prettiest thing I had ever seen on 4 wheels. I remember the anticipation of its arrival being almost un-endurable, like a birthday party to a 5 year old.
When it finally arrived I had to park it on the lawn until I made room for it in the garage.
There was a path of dead grass circling the car from pacing around it for hours at a time.
I have considered selling it a few times as I don't drive it very much, but I always change my mind after
cleaning it up and taking it for a spin.

Johan,

I am willing to provide a free storage spot with routine "warming up" if you need to make room in the garage... I mean, it is the best color!

There are few cars that look that good

Kevin

Several people have commented on various threads over the years that they do not like the Spyders as well as the coupes because the windshield on the coupe is a characteristic of the car that they had in mind when craving one. They say the windshield looks taller, but in fact it is not taller. Just a different shape. The car looks very low when standing next to it in person. Maybe it looks taller in photos...
p.s. I have a bigger garage now but still no extra room. How does that happen ? I think a garage has an inherent vaccume that sucks automotive artifacts, as well as debris, into it.

Back