Street Tail Hinge Stop Ideas?

I have been trying to come up with some kind of a stop for the hinged street tail. I don't like having to put something on the ground to protect it from scratching it every time I open it. Anyone solve this issue yet? Have any ideas for a simple/effective way to limit the travel of the hinge?

Thanks

I don't know if your street clip is like the traditional rear, but you could glass strut mounts into it and bolt into the transaxle cage

rearclip2.jpg

You can vary the distance it tilts back (and thus when it stops) by changing the angle the struts are at.

You might want to consider using hydraulic lifts. They both help with the lifting of the clip and hold it in place as a stop as well. All you need to know is the weight being lifted and the lenght of the COMPRESSED and EXTENDED lift measured from mounting tab to mounting tab. When installing them(one on each side), it is a geometry puzzle as to where to mount them. One piece of advice is to mount them so that when in the compressed mode(closed clip), that they push toward the cabin. If you mount them facing rear ward the panels will never line up as you are pushing away from the cabin. The 40s rear secttion is much heavier so the extra help of the lift comes in handy. It also makes the clip less flexible in that it doesn't flex as you try to lift one side. If you want to get real fancy, you can use the motorized lifts like the ones in the headlights of the Lotus Esprit etc. Those you just have to set the motor stop where you want it. Much like a garage door opener.

Bill

Alex,

What is the length of the struts you used?

I like the idea of a electrical lift, one for the coolness factor and two to keep the tail from flexing. I really don't like lifting it by one side, seems to really twist the tail and I am worried what will happen once the lexan is screwed in. I assume you can synchronize two of the electric powered struts and have it lift without any flex?

Thanks

Peter,
If you want to go to electric units, you might want to go to the sites that sell things like lambo door kits or some of the "Ricer" sites. They like that sort of stuff. Or just Google a few of the terms(electric tilt front ends, electric trunk kits etc.) and see what comes up.

Bill

I think electric might be a bit onerous to get working though?

I spent quite some time figuring out the mounting position on both clip and chassis to ensure the rear clip pivot'd back evenly and, at the end of the range of motion was symmetrical. But even though it's even, I have all sorts of weird stuff I can't explain - for example, on the passenger side, when the clip is latched down the strut is fully extended outwards (such when it opens the strut goes in, then comes back out). On the driver side it's partially retracted in. But the mounting of them is even. not much of a problem w/ manual struts, but I think that would be a huge issue for me if I were using electric.

Weiiiiiiird - I don't think I got my geometry perfectly right with it.

I think I will go back to a simple and forget any kind of a powered lift. For the number of times I will need to open the rear clip, I don't think it is worth the complexity.

Alex,
The problem of the strut compressing as you lift the clip is a misalignmrnt problem. The arc of the strut goes outside of the arc of the body hinge(at that attachment point), resulting in compression when you lift the clip. I ran into this problem when I found out I had my struts facing the wrong way. When I reversed it I couldn't find a point where It didn't do like yours. The solution is to drop the pivot point of the strut DOWN from the point you now have, and keep its arc inside that of the body hinge. If your struts are at the same point on the clip, raise the clip to the point you want it to stop. Suspend the strut from the clip. Somwhere on that arc is the point that the strut will stop compressing as the clip is lifted. The point that you have chosen on the passenger side is essentially higher than the one for the drivers side. This can happen if the height of the clip is different for the two sides, or the frame members are at different levels. You want the two points on both sides to be the same. The angle that they present from the clip has to be the same also. If the strut is angled in toward the middle, that angle has to be the same also. Otherwise you will get a torqueing(sp?) action.
I hope this explanation helps. If not, PM me and we can talk it over.

Bill

I get what you're getting at Bill - but my theory is everything's drilled/glassed in, it's worked well for a year with no problems, so I'm going to be lazy and just leave it :D

Thanks for the explanation though :D

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
FWIW, using simple limiting straps or cables adds to the GT40 experience. Interestingly enough I usually have onlookers, kids, friends, bystanders help open the front and rear clips. It kind of engages people into the car allowing them to "touch and feel". You see the smiles as they help open the cover to look into the engine bay, like a treasure chest. Maybe it's just my wild imagination cuz that's what goes through my mind when I do it, still :thumbsup:

I have been trying to come up with some kind of a stop for the hinged street tail. I don't like having to put something on the ground to protect it from scratching it every time I open it. Anyone solve this issue yet? Have any ideas for a simple/effective way to limit the travel of the hinge?

Thanks
I advocate the exceedingly expensive, complicated way that the Ford Motor company held up the rear shells of their GT40 race cars.

PJV,

Just like you do today, back in the 1960's the Ford Motor Company had millions of dollars at their disposal to blow on whatever fancied them. Out of their riches came this incredibly costly, yet elegant, solution.

Ford-GT-Roadster_23.jpg

Ford-GT-Roadster_24.jpg

(photograph c and courtesy of Wouter Melissen, www.ultimatecarpage.com)

Two red metal prop rods. :)

Most helpfully yours,

Bassanio et Portia :)

Inspired by Cam's suggestion, I went out in the back yard and cut off some nice tree branches - works great.

Bassanio et Portia - I would like to know who leaked the news I am working with a multi-milllion dollar build budget?!?!?!? :drunk:

On a serious note, in the picture it looks like it is something like a vinyl covered red cable versus a rod?

I have seen a couple of cars with cables which were held out of the way by shock cords when the clip was closed.

FWIW, using simple limiting straps or cables adds to the GT40 experience. Interestingly enough I usually have onlookers, kids, friends, bystanders help open the front and rear clips. It kind of engages people into the car allowing them to "touch and feel". You see the smiles as they help open the cover to look into the engine bay, like a treasure chest. Maybe it's just my wild imagination cuz that's what goes through my mind when I do it, still :thumbsup:

I've always wondered about cables/straps - when the clip is lowered they will go slack ..... what stops the slackened cable from hanging around the axle and possibly getting caught by it?

Inspired by Cam's suggestion, I went out in the back yard and cut off some nice tree branches - works great.

Bassanio et Portia - I would like to know who leaked the news I am working with a multi-milllion dollar build budget?!?!?!?
:drunk:
Oh, forgive me, Peter, for letting it slip that the Sultan of Brunei is insanely jealous of you for being ever so much richer than . . .

I'll fix it.

Hear Ye! Hear ye!

Let it be known by these presents that Peter, AKA PJV, is not, and never has been, revealed as a man richer than a sultan, living in sybaritic luxury far beyond the imagination of ordinary wage-earning schmucks like myself.

Peter, AKA PJV, is an average, ordinary Joe, no different than the Count of--(no, that's no right), the King of--(no, that's not it either), the Queen of--(no! she's too old!) Donald--(that won't do at all!), uh, um,. er, ---the rest of us yutzes schlepping to and from our boring jobs in our anonymous urbopods.

Truthfully yours,

Bassanio et Portia :)

Back