Superformance GT40 registration Qs for Iowa

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Started to research the subject SPF registration. I live in Iowa and not sure if anyone else out there has registered an spf car here.

First, I notice the SPF states they are not a kit but Turn Key Minus (TKM) Rolling chassis. Is this marketing lingo or do DMVs recognize this distinction? I could not find such a reference at the Iowa DMV site.

I took a look at the IA regs on custom built vehicles and saw a few disturbing requirements most of which can be overcome but the one that was a bit of a problem:

Bumpers required at front and rear and the spec them. Funny, all the farm tractors I'm constantly dodging don't seem to have them.:lol:
Safety glass for windshield with ANSI designation visible? Side glass is not required but if it is present, it must also be laminated safety glass. Hmmmm. Not sure about SPF windshield or sideglass?

On the bright side, Iowa law as of 2008 allows replica cars to be registered as the year of the car orifginal car. This is good news because Iowa, like many states tags and registration fees are based on value unless >25 years old, then it is dirt cheap ~$25 or so.

Any Iowa guys that have been the route or any other helpful input would be appreciated. Just thought I'd ask the board before I go to the DMV.

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Iowa SPF GT 40 registration from MSO

Anyone done this deed in Iowa? Illinois regs may be pretty close.

Have done some initial research at DMV website but looking for the voice of experience.

All help welcome.

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
SPF GT40 Registration in Iowa

Anyone done this deed for SPF GT40 straight from MSO in Iowa? Illinois regs may be close. I have done the prelimary I DMV research but thought I'd ask the voice of experience before I engaged DMV on the specifics. All advice welcome.

Kelly

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Superformance GT40 registration Qs

Hi Kelly,

I've combined your three posts into the registration section of the forum. Have a bit of patience and I imagine someone will answer some specifics for Iowa.

In general you'll register just like any other kit. The DMVs across the nation don't care what the various GT40 companies state - if the car isn't produced by a recognized automobile manufacturer, meaning it doesn't jump through all the government hoops with ABS, crash standards, air bags, and so on then it is a kit car.

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Superformance GT40 registration Qs

Apologies Ron, When I looked in the SPF section I didin't see my post so I thought I didn't submit it before I logged out. Checked again and saw it wasn't there and almost posted again (#3) not realizing you had moved it! Thanks, Kelly

Ron Earp

Admin
We may not have a GT40 replica owner in Iowa. I can't recall one in Iowa to be honest. You might be the first!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The SPF GT has front and rear DOT approved ANSI safety glass, the side windows are composite (i.e. "Plex") but if you unscrew them, you have "no side glass".

The distinction to most DMV between a "kit" and a "TKM" is non-existant. You will present the chassis MSO and receipt as well as receipts for the powertrain items, engine, transaxle etc. The usual need for these receiots to prove the components are not stolen and to assure the state that they collect sales tax!

As Iowa has adopted the SEMA specialty registration model, i.e. "regestered as year/model the replica represents, the bumper issue may not be a problem, show them pictures of a 65 GT40 and have them look hard for the bumpers! Plus is some states the quick jacks may be represented as bumpers to further solve the problem.

As around with the street rod guys as most "32 Fords" registered have never seen the insdie of a Ford factory!

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for that Rick. Interestingly enough on the SEMA comment, I checked with Iowa DOT this morning and even though the Street Rod and Replica Vehicle Bill was signed into Law in Iowa May 2008 (allows vehicle to be titled as the vehicle it resembles), it is not administeratively able to be enacted until Jan 1, 2010. This has major bearing since it's the difference between me being able to register it as a 1966 GT40 or a 2009 "something". Besides being nice to be registered as a 1966 GT40, being a 1966 means annual fees for registration and tags are $50 instead of being based on value. The DOT guy said it would be an even money bet if I could get the inspector to designate as a 66 before Jan 1, 2010, but possible. If not I would likely wait because it would be forever registered as a 2009 and mean that I would pay advalorum fees $thousands every year, forever more for tags and registration. I must say that SEMA did us a favor for their part in pushing this.

Thanks for the reply.

Kelly

Back