Votes: 42 87.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jack,

If this gas attack can be confirmed, I'm afraid that we must act on it.

With the proliferation of gas and nuclear weapons, there is no doubt that in time they will become available to folks who would think of using them.

In the end our ONLY defence is mutually assured retribution. You use WMDs you die!

Parsing words.......Saying maybe, but only if they hurt us or our friends is a fools game.

Folks, think big picture here, the World must act, it's one of the most important things in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Right now, if we send bombers, and or cruise missiles, it will not change the amount of gas that Syria has, we can destroy delivery systems, but not the gas. Nukes don't come into the picture. This will be a wrist slap.

I would just send humanitarian aid.
Never did anything until it was too late about the 'Gas' in World War Two? Even when it was outlawed in 1922.
Allan

ABC poll has it 50% No, 42% yes. That seems a bit high and wishful thinking on the yes side. I don't see Americans wanting anything to do with this. The gym I belong to is predominately left leaning, I've asked about 40 people the question, only two were somewhat but not totally OK with an attack.

Steve

Supporter
Too bad our illustrious President laid down a "red line". Now he looks like a real pussy if he does nothing. Pretty bush league move to paint yourself into a corner where you look weak by not acting. It's never wise to give an ultimatum to a despot with nothing to lose.

Agree with Al's thread #17. Any military action is going to piss of someone, accomplish little, and give the region yet another reason to blame us for everything. Neither the opposition nor Assad are likeable people we want to support. While tragic, the use of gas doesn't mean we should get involved in an internal civil war. It is reasonable to support the local governments (Turkey, Saudi Arabia etc) in their efforts. This is their problem. Times have changed since Iraq. Besides, we can't afford it. We're in debt up to our eyeballs. It's bad enough NObama has taxed the shit out of me this year but I'll be damned if he's going to use it to pay for his bruised ego.

If, for some strange ass reason, something absolutely had to be done, a bombing campaign/cruise missile attack accomplishes nothing and will just generate more hatred of us in the region and drive a deeper wedge between us and Russia. If you're going to do something, you'd better bomb the air force and take it out, then go in and get the WMD (they know exactly where it is) and remove it. At least then you can be sure it won't fall into Hezbollah/Iran/Al Qaeda hands. No that would be at least looking out for our interests.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Luckily our President it a smart big picture guy, rest assured he along with the Joint Chiefs and other thinking leaders will not listen to polls, will not listen to focus groups and they will not listen to Republicans who would do exactly the same thing if they were in charge. Our leaders, they will do the right thing, the only thing possible.

No slap in the wrist, the people responsible are going to be dead or in jail before the end of the year.

Yes someone is painted into a corner, but it's not our president.

Last edited:
Luckily our President it a smart big picture guy, rest assured he along with the Joint Chiefs and other thinking leaders will not listen to polls, will not listen to focus groups and they will not listen to Republicans who would do exactly the same thing if they were in charge. Our leaders, they will do the right thing, the only thing possible.

No slap in the wrist, the people responsible are going to be dead or in jail before the end of the year.

The Will of The People, did I miss something there? He works for Us! We need a clear plan with a sure outcome, not lob a few missiles and hope for a good outcome in the bid dick contest! No one will go to jail, we'll be lucky not to start a shooting war with Israel in the middle. Obama is going into a place where he's never even dreamt about before, and for all our sakes I hope you are right.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You really do not understand, this is a very big deal!

After WW1, gas was outlawed, in WW2 the US, Germany, Japan and several other countries had nerve gas weapons, yet outside of a small event in China that may or may not have happened, no one used it.

Since WW2, there was a small cult driven serin attack in Japan and Sadam Husane's use of gas in the Iran War (he should have been taken down then and there) and later a gas attack on the Kurds (he should have been taken down then as well), no one else has used wheapons grade gas..............NO ONE!

We all can see what effect a slap on the wrist has on Sadam, that should and will never happen again!

Rest assured that President Romney would be doing exactly the same thing and I would have supported him in this as well.

Last edited:

Steve

Supporter

:lol:

Now that's the most delusional thing I've heard since my psych rotation as a med student. Not quite as entertaining though.....

Oh yeah, "We're from the government, and we're here to help". or, "Trust us, we know what we are doing", and even "You don't know what we do so you cannot possibly understand". How about “We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of controversy.” comes to mind.

I can't keep up with the Czars appointed, nor the extrordinary number of executive orders to bypass the Congress. Trust ANY big government, my lilly white ass!

Okay, sports fans, more to consider. Just found this and it is very interesting:

This article is a collaboration between Dale Gavlak reporting for Mint Press News and Yahya Ababneh.
Ghouta, Syria — As the machinery for a U.S.-led military intervention in Syria gathers pace following last week’s chemical weapons attack, the U.S. and its allies may be targeting the wrong culprit.
Interviews with people in Damascus and Ghouta, a suburb of the Syrian capital, where the humanitarian agency Doctors Without Borders said at least 355 people had died last week from what it believed to be a neurotoxic agent, appear to indicate as much.
The U.S., Britain, and France as well as the Arab League have accused the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad for carrying out the chemical weapons attack, which mainly targeted civilians. U.S. warships are stationed in the Mediterranean Sea to launch military strikes against Syria in punishment for carrying out a massive chemical weapons attack. The U.S. and others are not interested in examining any contrary evidence, with U.S Secretary of State John Kerry saying Monday that Assad’s guilt was “a judgment … already clear to the world.”
However, from numerous interviews with doctors, Ghouta residents, rebel fighters and their families, a different picture emerges. Many believe that certain rebels received chemical weapons via the Saudi intelligence chief, Prince Bandar bin Sultan, and were responsible for carrying out the dealing gas attack.
“My son came to me two weeks ago asking what I thought the weapons were that he had been asked to carry,” said Abu Abdel-Moneim, the father of a rebel fighting to unseat Assad, who lives in Ghouta.
Abdel-Moneim said his son and 12 other rebels were killed inside of a tunnel used to store weapons provided by a Saudi militant, known as Abu Ayesha, who was leading a fighting battalion. The father described the weapons as having a “tube-like structure” while others were like a “huge gas bottle.”
Ghouta townspeople said the rebels were using mosques and private houses to sleep while storing their weapons in tunnels.
Abdel-Moneim said his son and the others died during the chemical weapons attack. That same day, the militant group Jabhat al-Nusra, which is linked to al-Qaida, announced that it would similarly attack civilians in the Assad regime’s heartland of Latakia on Syria’s western coast, in purported retaliation.
“They didn’t tell us what these arms were or how to use them,” complained a female fighter named ‘K.’ “We didn’t know they were chemical weapons. We never imagined they were chemical weapons.”
“When Saudi Prince Bandar gives such weapons to people, he must give them to those who know how to handle and use them,” she warned. She, like other Syrians, do not want to use their full names for fear of retribution.
A well-known rebel leader in Ghouta named ‘J’ agreed. “Jabhat al-Nusra militants do not cooperate with other rebels, except with fighting on the ground. They do not share secret information. They merely used some ordinary rebels to carry and operate this material,” he said.
“We were very curious about these arms. And unfortunately, some of the fighters handled the weapons improperly and set off the explosions,” ‘J’ said.
Doctors who treated the chemical weapons attack victims cautioned interviewers to be careful about asking questions regarding who, exactly, was responsible for the deadly assault.
The humanitarian group Doctors Without Borders added that health workers aiding 3,600 patients also reported experiencing similar symptoms, including frothing at the mouth, respiratory distress, convulsions and blurry vision. The group has not been able to independently verify the information.
More than a dozen rebels interviewed reported that their salaries came from the Saudi government.

Saudi involvement

In a recent article for Business Insider, reporter Geoffrey Ingersoll highlighted Saudi Prince Bandar’s role in the two-and-a-half year Syrian civil war. Many observers believe Bandar, with his close ties to Washington, has been at the very heart of the push for war by the U.S. against Assad.

You really do not understand, this is a very big deal!

After WW1, gas was outlawed, in WW2 the US, Germany, Japan and several other countries had nerve gas weapons, yet outside of a small event in China that may or may not have happened, no one used it.

Since WW2, there was a small cult driven serin attack in Japan and Sadam Husane's use of gas in the Iran War (he should have been taken down then and there) and later a gas attack on the Kurds (he should have been taken down then as well), no one else has used wheapons grade gas..............NO ONE!

We all can see what effect a slap on the wrist has on Sadam, that should and will never happen again!

Rest assured that President Romney would be doing exactly the same thing and I would have supported him in this as well.

Jim, You're right, this is a huge deal that needs serious thought for a desirable outcome. Neither Assad or the Al Qaeda sponsored rebels are a desirable outcome. It would be like having Hitler and Japan fighting each other in WWll, who would you pick to win? If Romney were President we would be having the same discussion if an attack was planned with no major ally support with no foreseeable desired outcome for the US and our Allies. If the thought of gas is scary, then the idea of Iran with a nuclear weapon should tighten your pucker string! Iran is the case of a few radical assholes terrorizing a lot of good Iranian people.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
When it comes to a desirable outcome.....

I'm afraid that other than setting a strong example of what happens to those who use WMDs, we will be lucky to have Syria only a little more screwed up than it is now.

That's true, and will we be better off? Frankly it pisses me off every time I go to the airport for the BS I go through because of a few assholes.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
OK Pete,

I answered your question.......

So if this was North Korea or Indonesia, using gas on its people would you still feel that the World should do nothing?

What if they used nukes?

If it was a civil war and both sides hated my guts, I'd say have at it. I'd happily let them destroy themselves . As long as they did not threaten Oz.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What if it really wasn't Assad who ordered the gas attack?

Reports: Saudi Prince using U.S. to topple Assad to consolidate own power | Ben Swann

Jus' sayin', people.

'Hard to argue with Al's post #52.

(Edit: And will someone please explain to me what the difference is in 'the degree of dead' between someone killed by gas and someone killed by bullets or bombs? No one has really been pushing for U.S. military action over the latter.)

Last edited:

Keith

If I was a terrorist looking to suck the 'Great Satan' into another no-win conflict, I would definitely use chemical weapons.

I might have missed this - but is there any actual PROOF that Assad used this stuff?

I smell manipulation with a capital M.

Once again, I feel like a passenger on a runaway train operating to someone else's timetable.

I call for calm and mature reflection.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I might have missed this - but is there any actual PROOF that Assad used this stuff?

Supposedly - SUPPOSEDLY - there was a monitored communication 'twinxt 'this-and-that' Assad official wherein "A" questioned "B" regarding the use of gas after the fact...if one wishes to call that "proof".

'Pretty lame.

Keith

Supposedly - SUPPOSEDLY - there was a monitored communication 'twinxt 'this-and-that' Assad official wherein "A" questioned "B" regarding the use of gas after the fact...if one wishes to call that "proof".

'Pretty lame.

This whole thing stinks.

Assad would be a fool to use chemical weapons at this stage. Why would he need to? It just doesn't make any sense.

It might be as well to remember that the CIA have had their dirty hands in Syria for many years. They brought about regime change following WWII, and have been active in the region ever since.

I am wondering why Israel had been so quiet about chemical weapons, with them being neighbours and all... perhaps they know it's a ploy?

Stinks...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! (I drew special attention to those words in bold).

Jim, REALLY?

I have some very special golden cow shit that when mixed into your garden soil, promotes the growth of Magical Angel Trees, that protect everyone on Earth, by creating a heavenly shade of loving spirit and peace perfume.

I can let you have two for your garden for only $1M, please send payment to me via paypal. Your satisfaction is guaranteed.

Back