• No

Votes: 42 87.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I remember years ago finding out that the Israelis sold Uzis and other weapons to countries/regimes/governments who were decidedly not democratic, and, as an American Jew, being very disappointed at that. (I was a kid, I was naive, of course) I asked my dad how they could do this. His reply, which I think is still valid and useful, was that nations overproduce weapons and ammunition with the intent of selling both of them and in this way they support their own militaries, as well as their own commercial industries. He cautioned me that nations do things which are in their national interest, chiefly financial, although they may give other reasons, and that it is naive to expect nations to behave in moral ways. They do things that are politically and financially/economically expedient for them.

The state of Israel should not be viewed as a Jewish state, really. First, many people who live there aren't Jews; there is a substantial population of Muslim and Christian individuals who are citizens of Israel. Second, although Judaism may be the religion of the state of Israel, that state will act in political and economic ways that serve its interests, not from religious convictions, although all states which have state religions will use those religions as a cover. The appearance of piety or righteousness may be useful, but it should not be confused with actual piety. Osama bin Laden, for example, professed piety, thereby giving both piety and Islam a bad name.

My point here, which I am probably not making very well, is that the actions of the Jewish state should not be seen as 1) representing the views of all Jews, even representing the views of all Israeli Jews, because they do not represent those views 2) they should not be viewed as actions that have much of anything to do with Judaism, because honestly they don't have much to do with it. What they have a great deal to do with is the state actions of a country determined to survive and prosper like all of them, and willing, like most of them, to step on others to do it. We are in the 21st century, and arguably in some ways better off as a species than we were in, say, the 15th century, but nations still pretty much make their own rules, and as you all can see, it takes a great deal to even bring on the censure of MOST of the world's nations, let alone all of them.

Thanks for listening.

My point here, which I am probably not making very well, is that the actions of the Jewish state should not be seen as 1) representing the views of all Jews, even representing the views of all Israeli Jews, because they do not represent those views 2) they should not be viewed as actions that have much of anything to do with Judaism, because honestly they don't have much to do with it. What they have a great deal to do with is the state actions of a country determined to survive and prosper like all of them, and willing, like most of them, to step on others to do it. We are in the 21st century, and arguably in some ways better off as a species than we were in, say, the 15th century, but nations still pretty much make their own rules, and as you all can see, it takes a great deal to even bring on the censure of MOST of the world's nations, let alone all of them.

Thanks for listening.

Very very very WELL SAID,,,,,THANKS:stunned:

Howard Jones

Supporter
So BOB s reading Gt40s.com.

It looks like I am the President of the United States and it's Sectary of State. See my posts on Sept 5th.

They are both saying Syria should give up their chemical weapons and we can get by this. To the Russians by the way. How much you want to bet the Russian's give them back later.

Now if BOB would listen to me on the economy then we might be getting somewhere.

Keith

I vote post Numbers 220 & 221 two of THE most educational and interesting posts in the history of the Internet and the Middle East Conundrum which ever came first . (The answer to that depends very much on your age)

Thanks guys.... :thumbsup:

Keith

What about sending the entire US Congress together with Britain's Upper and Lower House AND the entire fucking contents of the Brussels Bureaucracy on a break away arctic ICE FLOE to Syria?

See what I did there Larry?

Ron Earp

Admin
Maybe this will help a bit. 2012 was a record low in ice coverage in the region.

arcticseaice_aug2013.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Keith

'Jim' does get quite a bad press around here sometimes....

And Larry, come on mate you KNEW what would happen as soon as you pressed the SEND button and was slightly too late to stop....

But you're correct, it was a bit rude to reply on this thread something that's akin to a runaway train without brakes.

So, what are the options here? Drowning from elevated sea levels?

Being boiled alive by Global Warming when the last drop of ice has gone?

Succumbing to a lung searing chemical attack aimed from Syria?

Shafted by Paddock Graphs?

Or just plain bored to death by all the bullshit?

I thought this Syria thread was really enlightening for all 'sides' so, as Larry said, please do not fuck another decent thread up with this stuff. Be a man.

Start another another another one!

Back