THE ULTIMATE GT40 FOR 60K

Hi Everyone,

I have a budget of £60,000 to spend on a replica Turnkey GT40. Narrowed it down to either Tornado or GTD. I am only going to do this once so I want to get it right. I intend to use it on the track and road, 400bhp approx, uprated brakes etc. Question is who will build the better car and what are the best options to go for.

What would members on this board recommend ?

Thanking you all in advance,

Lou Adams.
wink.gif

Talk to the boys in the GTD Club. I do not know what the current offerings from GTD are since they have changed hands. What I would do if I lived in the UK would be to purchase a running car and have it rebuilt to my personal specification. RF may be a great offering, but I think the taxes to import one would force a huge premium to be added to the cost of the vehicle. Brian

G

If your budget is that high then you could have a GTD plus serious change on a good used car. If you want to track use the car then I would highly recommend GTD over Tornado as the GTD is more suited to track work in my humble opinion. As I have said before you don't see many Tornado's on track.

If you email privately I would be happy to get you my telephone number and we can talk more if you want to.

So you are aware, I am a GTD owner (is this what Marco meant by "bowner" on a previous thread? At first I thought he was just being rude!!!!!) and am the competition secretary to the owners club.

Our web site is www.gtd40club.co.uk

Malcolm

G

Gentlemen, I am confused about something: I thought the laws in the UK had changed recently and that MkI GT40s were now impossible to register there? The word we had was that with the configuration of the rear clip clamshelling, there were no lights shinning rewards in a breakdown situation. I am sure there were other issues, but this is the one most often cited.

MWGT40

Supporter
Lou

I agree with Malcolm. My budget was around the same as yours and I also wanted "the ultimate GT40". So after extensive research, I bought a good condition GTD40 and set about an upgrade programme to produce a great track car that is aslo driveable on the road.

You sound as though you might be like me with neither the time nor the technical know how to build a GT40 of your own. If so I can tell you that there are plenty of people in the UK who will be only too willing to assist (in either advice or the modifications) for the GTD. And there are some fantastic GTDs out there.

In fact I was going to post an MPEG of our Isle of Man trip last week but do not know how to. I will email to Chris Melia and see if he can post so that you can see the kind of GTD that you can get for your money.

Last but not least, there is a great club available, particularly if you want to partake in the club racing (which I am going to do).

Drop me a line if you want more info.

Regards, Martin

Brian Magee

Supporter
Lynn

Self built cars in the UK now have to go through an SVA ( single vehicle approval) before they can be registered. I don't know of a GT40 that has not got (gotten?) through eventually. I went with someone who's car failed on the reason you mention so on the re-test the stays for the rear clip were adjusted so that it didn't open so far. The examiner was not interested in whether or not you could work on the engine at this angle. Every problem can be solved with a bit of lateral thinking!.

Brian.

Back