Toms RCR 40 Trackracer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Tom, excellent craftsmanship as always. Your ability to pull form from nothing is impressive / admirable. I really like how the side profile view shows the rear arches cover the tops of the tires. Nice touch! That sexy "half lidded" look. Kinda like that sexy hottie you met in the bar that one night way back when.....:lipsrsealed: Regarding the height of them, that is personal taste. A bit too high for me, but so long as you like em...you're golden!

Simon, as a fellow RCR owner, I must admit...I am a bit disappointed in the comment "close to CAV tolerences" in the evaluation of the body fit of Tom's car. I have seen some ugly CAV body work out there....with thick filler to level mating panels and unimpressive gaps. I really "honestly" believe the RCRs that have been assembled in the past 12 months have set a new standard for the "others" to be measured to. Not to sound like a dick, but I have looked over many 40s, and this is just how I feel. To be clear, I am not discounting the fit/finish of many cars of fellow members (Pete, Dimi....etc, etc) all have beautiful cars with exceptional fit/finish. Just don't believe CAV stands out in my mind as the benchmark.

Simon, as a fellow RCR owner, I must admit...I am a bit disappointed in the comment "close to CAV tolerences" in the evaluation of the body fit of Tom's car. I have seen some ugly CAV body work out there....with thick filler to level mating panels and unimpressive gaps. I really "honestly" believe the RCRs that have been assembled in the past 12 months have set a new standard for the "others" to be measured to. Not to sound like a dick, but I have looked over many 40s, and this is just how I feel. To be clear, I am not discounting the fit/finish of many cars of fellow members (Pete, Dimi....etc, etc) all have beautiful cars with exceptional fit/finish. Just don't believe CAV stands out in my mind as the benchmark.

Rob agree to that and would like to add as an additional comment, that up to now i have not added a single gramm of glass or filler ( except the flares) to that body. I even have not done any gap sanding to that body. The only thing i did was spending close to 50 h in aligning the body, going forth and back to scope with the multidimensional effects of each and every adjustment you do. Finally i made it and i can say that this car is more symetrical and nice fitting than a lot of other sportscars out there ) compare a P......9.. or the older F-cars, don´t even talk about L....... or the new GT).

TOM

Tom, Rob - i based my comment on a picture of a CAV i have currently as my wallpaper. It's a show car so it's probably had special treatment, but he shutlines are very close. I guess i'm showing my inexperience of the different 40's out there
Tom, the quality of your work is an inspiration. Appologies for any offence.

Attachments

• imagefetch2.jpg
    imagefetch2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 784

Ron McCall

Supporter
Tom, Rob - i based my comment on a picture of a CAV i have currently as my wallpaper. It's a show car so it's probably had special treatment, but he shutlines are very close. I guess i'm showing my inexperience of the different 40's out there
Tom, the quality of your work is an inspiration. Appologies for any offence.

That car is a SUperformance......

Thanks Ron, my mistake.
I only ever intended my comment to be taken as a compliment. Now that the correct manufacturer has been identified i hope it will be.

Hey, Tom.

Great work buddy. Inspirational. Tell me, do you have any more pics or info on the red/white #26 '40 in reply #67 above? That is Exactly the look that I want to replicate (plan: sell the house, my first-born, both testicles and buy an RCRMk deluxe with all the trimmings. Yes, Fran, I am still lurking with intent!).

Gary.

Simon;
No offence done, as mentioned before you are very welcome to comment and ask wahtever you want.

Yesterday i covered the flares with a thin layer of glass. Watch the correct working cloths.
PICT2422.jpg

Today i finished shaping the small sill extensions and covered them with glass as well
PICT2435.jpg

PICT2436.jpg

Gary,

yes i have; send me a PM with your email adress

TOM

awh: 150 h

Color sceme

What do you think about that ?
Color would be the orange of the new GT3 RS.
Wheels would be black as well. OVerall by doing so the car would just have 3 colors: orange , black and silver.

tomsfordgt40_6.gif

Chuck

Supporter
Tom:

I like it. First, it is a clean and uncluttered scheme. Second, the use of orange as the primary color is not common, so it will be somewhat unique. The black and silver will contrast nicely.

Ryan and I spent a couple of hours driving around car lots looking for just the right color. Thought we had decided, but then . . . . oh well.

The one thing we are sure of is initially it will be monochromotic with not stripe other than the "FORD" stripe on the rocker panels. May add a stripe later.

Chuck

Tom, I hope you go with those colors! That was exactly how I was planning on painting mine and then went back to my original plan at the last minute. I love my paint, but that scheme will look really sharp.

By the way, how will you finish the aluminum panels? They could introduce a fourth color. I painted the one on the top and polished the two in the rear to complement the exhaust:

GT-40134.jpg

By the way, how will you finish the aluminum panels? They could introduce a fourth color. I painted the one on the top and polished the two in the rear to complement the exhaust:

Mark,

Have not decided yet, but i´m thinking about black anodizing. I´m also not clear if do the stripes and wheels in hogh gloss or in semi gloss.
Anyway there will be still at least 6-9 month to go, because painting will be one of the last things to do on the car. Right now i will finish it till the primer and than let it sit until all the mechanical stuff is done.

TOM

Nice Tom, unfussy and high contrast - looks good and it'll certainly have presense.
Do your skills extend to spraying the colour yourself ?
Simon

Ah, choosing paint color...
I love the orange! I don't like it so much with a mustach or with a blue stripe (ie reversing the Gulf) but the GT3RS scheme would look fantastic.

Mark,

Have not decided yet, but I´m thinking about black anodizing. I´m also not clear if do the stripes and wheels in high gloss or in semi gloss.
Anyway there will be still at least 6-9 month to go, because painting will be one of the last things to do on the car. Right now I will finish it till the primer and than let it sit until all the mechanical stuff is done.

TOM

Tom, that was my plan, semi-gloss black with the panels and wheels powdercoated black. It will be stunning!

Finishing the body filler, priming it, and then letting it sit for 6 months is a great plan. Solvent outgassing will be complete and you will know if there are any voids or issues. I finished my body work and paint so quickly that the body was not completely cured. After Carlisle, we pushed it out in the hot sun for a couple of hours and found two voids or blisters (areas where there was an air bubble between the gel coat and fiberglass). They appeared as two areas about 10mm wide by 30 to 50mm long on top of the spider roof on the left hand side. Ron ground them out, filled them, and repainted. The upside is that I ended up with show quality paint on the car (three coats of clear, color sanded, three more coats of clear, color sanded and polished).

Do your skills extend to spraying the colour yourself ?
Simon
Although i painted some of my everyday cars in my youth, i will not do that one. I will finish and spray it inside to the final coat and outside to the primer level. Will give the car than sanded to a pro. Just too much curves and sharp edges in combination on a GT40. Nevertheless i will be present in the paint booth to help masking and so on.

TOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back