trivia....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
OK...Who knows what the tail lamps on a GT 40 MK IV are from?

J6, you are excluded from this question.

This a general knowledge question for ant GT 40 motorhead......hint, hint.

Rick

cool.gif
cool.gif
cool.gif

G

Mine are from a Fiat, I am not sure what the originals were from.

G

The MKIV tail lights look very like the units on a MKII, in which case they are '63 Chev Corvair units (I know - blasphemy!! Henry must have spun in his grave). The MKI units used in most replicas are now Fiat 850 sourced but the originals were apparently from the French Simca 1000. Chris Melia - did you ever find out where the overriders (bumperettes) on the MKIII were from?
wink.gif

[ June 05, 2002: Message edited by: Brian Stewart ]

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ding, Ding, Dind....we have a wiener!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes,

the original Mk IV tail lights lenses are from the 60-63 Chevy Corvair!!!!!!

Ralph Nader Racing inc.

How and why Kar Kraft used these is lost to time. At least the "J" car used 1964 Thunderbird tailights (Ford P/N C4SZ-13450-A)as a "tie" to Ford production cars and a styling cue, but where the Corvair parts came from is a mystery.

BTW, some of the Mk IV's used a broquade (sp?) cloth material for the seats, while some used a waffle pattern vinyl. For bonus point, where did the cloth come from. Hint: it was from a FORD, not a "Chivvy"

Rick
rolleyes.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
J6,

Is the cloth patterned or plain? I had picture of one of the cars from '67 and it had a cloth material that I am familiar with from another Ford car. I know most of the cars had the waffle vinyl but I imagine that the cloth was cooler as the seats were not ventilated as on the MK I/MK II cars...
Rick

I knew the Chaparral used Corvair tail lights. First I've heard that GT-40's did. interesting
wink.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
j6,

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I assume your Mk IV is one of the ones that used cloth upholstery from, get ready for this.................................................................................................a 1967 Ford THUNDERBIRD! the cloth was a nylon broquade used on T-Birds. This cloth has a pattern that is somewhat of a "paisley" print. I will try to post a sample in the future for you to verify.

Gives new meaning to the term "Luxury performance"!

Rick
shocked.gif

G

I suppose the MKII and MKIV's having Chevvy taillights is not too much of a heresy when one considers that the very first Cadillac was built by Henry Ford... Funny old world, isn't it.

Back