Truck Trailer combo - will it work?

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee (straight 6 - no trans cooler - no tow package). I was hoping to find a lightweight trailer so that it could pull the GT40 a few times a year . Oh, and by the way, I live in southern California and southern Oregon. I have the Siskiyou mountains and the Grapevine to deal with. I would take be taking the car to Thunderhill, Infineon, Laguna Seca and Willow Springs.

I see the serpent express trailer is pretty light. I am guessing any aluminum 16 footer double axle would work.

My questions is, will this combo work or am I looking at having to replace my Jeep down the road as I waste the drivetrain. The book says that the Jeep will tow 5,000 lbs.

Looking for opinions please. Thanks.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Add a trans coler and a brake controller (a GOOD one) and tow away. The Jeep will not pass anything on an incline, but with a 2500# car and a 1200# trailer you will be OK.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have no trouble towing my GT40 on a not so light trailer with the same towing capacity. A brake controller is a must.

Mark

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike come on, your going to tow a $100k+ car with a jeep? I think I would save my money and buy an old 3/4 ton Ford or Chev truck made for the job. Jeeps are not meant to pull anything but maybe a jet ski or 4 wheeler, the steering is to sensate and the wheel base to short.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mike come on, your going to tow a $100k+ car with a jeep? I think I would save my money and buy an old 3/4 ton Ford or Chev truck made for the job. Jeeps are not meant to pull anything but maybe a jet ski or 4 wheeler, the steering is to sensate and the wheel base to short.

A Cherokee, not the sh!tbox Wrangler/CJ turd. But a used pickup is a good idea.

Ron Earp

Admin
I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee (straight 6 - no trans cooler - no tow package). I was hoping to find a lightweight trailer so that it could pull the GT40 a few times a year .

My questions is, will this combo work or am I looking at having to replace my Jeep down the road as I waste the drivetrain. The book says that the Jeep will tow 5,000 lbs.

Looking for opinions please. Thanks.

My opinion is it'll be fine. If you get a light weight ally trailer, say around 1300lbs of weight (18ft is about this weight, 16ft is less weight) plus the car and you'll be under your "limit". I write "limit" as I'm well above the tow rating of my truck but with careful consideration to a number of things - hitch type, load leveling bars, trailer brakes, and possibly air bags, you can make a satisfactory tow rig. No, it'll never be a diesel tow truck, but if you want to work with what you have on hand you can get the job done.

If I were going to work with your boundary conditions I'd get a 16 ft ally trailer, used. Lots of places to look for those, Race, performance & street cars, engines, engine parts, trailers for sale, and so on. I'd get a load leveling hitch as well, and, make sure the hitch receiver on the truck is of good quality and design. Make sure your trailer brakes are in good order and work well as it'll take a lot of load off the SUV. Then hook it all up and give it a whirl.

Life is full of compromises and you have to make your choices. I choose not to get a more capable tow truck, but instead a truck that was far more focused on daily driving, comfort, and pleasure. Since I only tow maybe 5-6% of the total mileage I felt that buying the truck for towing would be too much of a compromise in the other areas. YMMV.

Chet Schwer

Lifetime Supporter
I use a 16 foot aluminum trailer to haul my GT-40 with a Tahoe. I will not use my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee because of the weight distribution of the mid engine GT-40. It tends to start fishtailing occasionlly because of the weight being in the rear and I can not back the GT-40 onto the trailer

Attachments

• TRAILER3 (Large).jpg
    TRAILER3 (Large).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Mike come on, your going to tow a $100k+ car with a jeep?

Jack, it is the Jeep Cherokee SUV, not the Jeep Jeep. My issue is I already have 8 cars , and I don't want to buy another one - especially one I will only use a few times a year. I am trying to use what I have.

Rick and Mark, you mentioned the need for a "good" brake controller; can you recommend one?

Ron, I agree with you on the compromises, and I am trying to find one. I just don't want to trash a perfectly fine Cherokee if it is not up to the task. This might work.

Tom, sounds to me like it could work with a little effort.

Chet, that is a nice trailer. I like it.

Frank3, you are nuts.

Last edited:
Prodigy is a good brake control. Although I agree with others that you probably need a larger tow vehicle, if your dead set on using the Jeep you might look into a hardsided trailer. The only reason for an enclosed is protection from weather and security IMO. The one you referred to may provide weather protection but not much in terms of security and for its price I think you can get a better option.

Rich.

You might be able to tow the 5000# with a Jeep, but not an enclosed trailer. Towing ratings do not take into consideration wind resistance. I had a F150 with a 5 liter V8 and couldn't tow an enclosed trailer with payload wt. of #5000 up mountain passes in Wyoming. Granted that was 7000 Ft. altitude, but Siskiyou Pass is 4300ft. That altitude alone drops your towing capacity from 5000# to 4350#. Throw in an enclosed trailer and you're asking for trouble.

Mike, I think that'll be white knuckle driving for part of the way, and very slow driving the rest. You'll arrive at the race spot drained, and behind schedule.

If you're even semi-serious about the racing then you'll have at least another 500lbs on board for extra wheels/tires, tools/jacks, batteries, water, oil, etc. along with your personal effects for a weekend's racing. You'll be right at the max of your vehicles capacity going uphill, and stopping that load on a 5-8% grade will be difficult at best, and dangerous at worst, even with trailer brakes.

No offense, but the Jeep has a short wheelbase, fairly high CG, and modest brakes. The engine is good and torquey but not up to the same level as a decent V8.

Here's an idea: how about an old ('82-'99) gas or diesel suburban? You can sleep in the back, they tow like nobody's business, and do OK on gas mileage. You personal junk can go in the back and you still have room to sleep (take out the second and third row seats and put a single mattress back there). You'll arrive at the race stop reasonably fresh and relaxed, on time, and have an OK sleep on the night before practice.

Good luck!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack, it is the Jeep Cherokee SUV, not the Jeep Jeep. My issue is I already have 8 cars , and I don't want to buy another one - especially one I will only use a few times a year. I am trying to use what I have.

QUOTE]

Ah my mistake, when ever I hear "JEEP" I think of Patton and those little buggers. And it was my first cup of coffee, but I still would be worried about pulling around a car worth as much or more than the average house with anything but a truck. Mike depending on what year your VW Van is you could have a truck and enclosed trailer! You seen the price on those older vans?

Mike depending on what year your VW Van is you could have a truck and enclosed trailer! You seen the price on those older vans?

The VW van is a 1971 - last of the upright motors sporting some 50+ horsepower. It barely makes the hills aourn the house.

Thanks for the input everyone! I am thinking of getting the trailer, installing a trans cooler on the Cherokee and trying it. If it doesn't feel right, then I go look for something more substantial and sell the Cherokee. The I am only out the cost of the trans cooler (less than $100).

Mike

The VW van is a 1971 - last of the upright motors sporting some 50+ horsepower. It barely makes the hills aourn the house.

Thanks for the input everyone! I am thinking of getting the trailer, installing a trans cooler on the Cherokee and trying it. If it doesn't feel right, then I go look for something more substantial and sell the Cherokee. The I am only out the cost of the trans cooler (less than $100).

Mike

A little bit of advice on the trans cooler you want a plate type not a tube and fin.

Something like this
HTC-677.jpg

NOT this
HTC-403.jpg

Tim, I was looking at the right type then - a B&M 70268. Thanks.

Thank you Howard...it gives me something to look for. The car can get up those ramps?

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
My trailer looks identical to Howard's. I need a few "step" planks under my ramp ends to get the 40 on the trailer without scraping the bottom but my car is set pretty low. My controller is a Draw-Tite and my V6 Pathfinder has no problems at all. No way I could pull a large enclosed trailer (unless it was empty). It would be nice to have one but I also don't want to pay a huge cost (fuel, size, depreciation) for the occasional benefit.

Mark

Back