Twin turbos anybody?

Just happen to catch the latest episode of Gearz(S6 Ep.11-4). They put the Twin turbos on the SLC. Done by none other than Jeff Schwartz. Jefff has won a bunch of SCCA races and championships. He builds chassis and suspension(s) and parts to almost anything out there to improve their performance. Mostly roadracing stuff. He now does turbo setups on a lot of different cars. In this episode he does his magic on the twin turbo package for the LS7 in the SLC. Check it out. Think it was on the 14th

Bill

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HltZrFGJ4U]Twin Turbo - SL-C LS7 [S6 Ep.11-4] - YouTube[/ame]

It always amazes me what you can do with fabrication skill ... wedge a twin turbo, intercoolers, and dry sump in there, whereas I was struggling just to fit the damn dry sump when I was going that route. One day maybe I'll learn more than how a drill and jig saw works, one day.

Fran has he sold his Ultima yet. He was the one that turned me on to the SL-C as I was originaly looking at ultima's. Man you have guys promoting you under the radar all over the place :thumbsup:

HOW ABOUT THAT?:lipsrsealed:

Attachments

• 22082010(001).jpg
    22082010(001).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 678
  • 31082011167.jpg
    31082011167.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 1,369
Funny thing is that Jeff gets something like 21mph out of his twin turbo 1001HP GTR. Then man knows his stuff and you better believe he charges for it. Last I heard that was over 20K worth of a build for the 1000hp. Others can do it for FAR less but his build quality is second to none and his motors sure are pretty.

I have a question about the CF plenium? Just how much boost are you going to run? I ask because I have yet to hear of anyone pushing over 1 bar that has not blown out the plenum where it meets the metal for the throttle body. This is the biggest reason ALL BIG PSI motors run aluminum intakes so I'm curious. Looks like a sick build none the less. care to share? If you figured something out I know a whole bunch of guys that would be knocking down your door although most own BMW's or custom builds. There are some silly cars around my way.

Last edited:
What usually goes in the body openings where they are putting the intercoolers? I'm assuming they will have to find an alternate way to cool whatever that is.

What usually goes in the body openings where they are putting the intercoolers? I'm assuming they will have to find an alternate way to cool whatever that is.
I have oil coolers on each side. One other builder has his radiators there. There are some who are also putting trans coolers there on one side and an oil cooler on the other. Fran had IC's in those openings on the turbo Lexus powered prototype car. Some don't have anything.

So to answer your question, "What usually goes there?"
The answer is anything you want.

Last edited:
On the show Stacy mentions that Schwartz Performance would make a turbo plumbing set up for the SL-C. Was he trying to say that Jeff was using his car to fab up such a system and then take those measurements so he could reproduce them as a catalog item? Or did he simply mean that Jeff could make you up a one off set of your own? If the former, does anyone have an idea what the system might run?

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Since his TT setup could produce some serious h.p., what is Stacey going to use for a transaxle? Did he find a Ricardo somewhere or...?

He is using the same transaxle we use in the 01 race car....a modified 997TT Porsche unit.
We have had no issues with 700hp and 600ftlb.....and the power delivery with turbos is much easier to control than with an NA engine

I spoke to Schwartz prior to me ordering my SLC. We discussed building a strong LS7cand twin turbos. The cost was about $40,000. My slightly built LS376 for $7500 and 563hp is just fine for me.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
He is using the same transaxle we use in the 01 race car....a modified 997TT Porsche unit.
We have had no issues with 700hp and 600ftlb.....and the power delivery with turbos is much easier to control than with an NA engine

Thanks, Fran...again! :thumbsup:

40K :laugh: his prices have more than doubled. Well if 1000hp is what you want there are tuners out there that have kits readily available for 75% less that are capable of going well over that. Include a full on built motor with a billet block and you still are at 1/2 the price ALL IN!!!! I said it before he prices his systems unrealistically (they few kits I know of and that have been track testes have been hard to keep in stock due pricing) but what he does turn out are works of art although one company as of late has stepped up and in my opinion is right on par with Jeff again for 75% less or 50% less with a billet block and forged internals. I always thought Jeff was a chasis guy but I suppose not.

40K :laugh: his prices have more than doubled. Well if 1000hp is what you want there are tuners out there that have kits readily available for 75% less that are capable of going well over that. Include a full on built motor with a billet block and you still are at 1/2 the price ALL IN!!!! I said it before he prices his systems unrealistically (they few kits I know of and that have been track testes have been hard to keep in stock due pricing) but what he does turn out are works of art although one company as of late has stepped up and in my opinion is right on par with Jeff again for 75% less or 50% less with a billet block and forged internals. I always thought Jeff was a chasis guy but I suppose not.

BS - you are not going to get a fully built 1000hp motor, with a billet block, that will stay together, for $20k. My built RHS 502 was going to come in around 26k-ish, and that didn't factor in the other necessities like a dry sump.

Just the block and heads alone were $11k.

Not to mention, turbos, ic's, exhaust fabrication etc all spec'd for the SL-C that Schwartz may have included in his 40k price. If you lack the ability to do these yourself, not a bad deal all things considered.

Not to mention, turbos, ic's, exhaust fabrication etc all spec'd for the SL-C that Schwartz may have included in his 40k price. If you lack the ability to do these yourself, not a bad deal all things considered.

To each their own - one of the reasons I decided to throw in the towel with my original engine was when i priced out the TRUE all-in cost there's no way I could enjoy it knowing that all it would take is a smidge of bad luck for a few seconds (bad guess, bad tune, etc...)and i'd have a $30k paperweight.

It always amazes me what you can do with fabrication skill ... wedge a twin turbo, intercoolers, and dry sump in there, whereas I was struggling just to fit the damn dry sump when I was going that route. One day maybe I'll learn more than how a drill and jig saw works, one day.
The price may well shock some, but that system looks exceptionally well designed and packaged. Everything so far looks to have been well thought-through. It'll be interesting to see how the intake is routed.

Back