Ultima Un build log !

Hi all,
If the moderator feels this thread is in the wrong place, please move it, I thought it may be of general interest to see under the skin of an Ultima.
It may not be in good taste being a GT40 site but whilst waiting for my SGT40 to be IVA tested and thereafter painted all in all about 8 weeks, I have decided to carry out a modification that was to be my next project anyway.
I have an Ultima can Am ( that's the convertable one ).
This I want to be made into the fixed head known as the GTR.
I believe from Ultima they know of no one who has ever done this before.. So it's a bit of a challenge. Luckily when I built this Can Am I ordered the GTR chassis which had extra chassis parts so converting it will now be to my advantage.
Basically the centre section needs to be removed, screen is the same on the Can Am as the GTR so that is re used. The centre section incorporates the roof section , pods that support locks and hinges and fuel fillers. It was better to remove this by cutting it out with a slit disc grinder, messy but effective.
8 x 6mm bolts and about 20 rivets to remove.
Disconnect all the dash switches and gauges and out it comes.
The worst part was behind the seats as this has an ally fire guard riveted in the engine bay which would mean removing the engine...No way am I doing this.
Here's some pictures so far this has taken 1 Day.

More info to follow

Attachments

• 0045 web.jpg
    0045 web.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 703
  • 0056 web.jpg
    0056 web.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 649
  • 0057 web.jpg
    0057 web.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 608
  • 0060 web.jpg
    0060 web.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 650
  • 0072 web.jpg
    0072 web.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 810
To make the 1st cut was difficult, no turning back.
I managed to get the body components cheap as they were defects.
The centre section was new but had been hit with piece of steel as was the passenger door. Easy repairs. The car will need a new rear canopy not cheap but again Ultima had a damaged one that they could not sell as new. In fact the fault was a gel coat slight defect at one corner. You have to look real hard to see it.
Yesterday I trial fitted the centre section and with a few trim ups it's on.
I do not need a new front Canopy as again the Can Am and GTR are the same as are the cills.
New door hinges will be needed and Can Am locks need to be modified.
I have got to say that the body panels on the Ultima are second to none, they are solid well made items that look as good in Gel coat as a painted car.
By the way the car has the following spec.
6.3 ltrs Chevy built by Peter Knight of Knight Racing.
Dry sump 640 H.P. 583 Lbs Torque.
BTB Stainless exhaust custom built to spec.
Porsche G50 LSD Turbo box, Ultima clutch.
Kinsler fuel Inection with M48 Motec control
AP 4 Pots all round
980 kg weight without me !
More pics when I have them.

Ultima's are an awesome car and one I would love to own myself one day. Keep the build thread going. :thumbsup:

Good to see a project where a guy is not afraid to dive in up to the elbows in fiberglass dust! Do you have a before and projected after photos?

--- Doug

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like this is going to be a very interesting thread. I really like the Ultimas as well and it was on my short list when I pulled the trigger on the Forty.

I know it's being greedy but here's a picture of both of my Ultimas the silver beast is now the cut up jobby the GTR was then my circuit car now repainted and road registered and the Can Am will eventually become a fixed head.

Attachments

• GTR web.jpg
    GTR web.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 3,334

Jackal

CURRENTLY BANNED
I know it's being greedy but here's a picture of both of my Ultimas the silver beast is now the cut up jobby the GTR was then my circuit car now repainted and road registered and the Can Am will eventually become a fixed head.

Man it's tough at the top! :laugh:

Awesome cars!

Cheers
Jackal

pictures of the new centre section just dropped on the body at the moment but at least it sits well.
Need to extend the engine bay ally fire wall up about 70mm both on the engine side and from inside the cabin.
This will eventually be panelled in real carbon fibre to match the lower section.
Seriously considering having the dash wrapped in 3m carbon, keeps it simple and effective.
The good thing is I have the other GTR as a reference car, dusty as it is.

Attachments

• 0087 web.jpg
    0087 web.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 546
  • 0090 web.jpg
    0090 web.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 576
  • 0089 web.jpg
    0089 web.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 536
Actually John the silver and yellow looks ok.
You should see the rear canopy it's bright orange.

Joseph and his multi coloured car comes to mind

I'd Like to drive that Radical John

The new Drivers door and top door hinges arrived today.
Cut the gauges and switch holes in the new centre section / dashboard
I have cut an extra hole in the dash for the Speedhut GPS speedo that I have ordered from the Yanks, should be here soon.
I think it's about 85mm dia, so hope the hole is not to big, too small's not an issure !

Trial fitted the body and all looks ok, drivers door is out of alignment a bit but it's adjustable.
Although the car will be painted or wrapped the colours look ... well different !

Attachments

• 0119 web.jpg
    0119 web.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 450
  • 0122 web.jpg
    0122 web.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 431
  • 0126 web.jpg
    0126 web.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 427
great build Kieth, another can-am saved for living without a roof :D

I have nothing with a can-am personally, but a GTR is nice.

and indeed a very nice colour scheme on this race GTR, top.

attachment.php

Stopped un building the Ultima now and starting the build.
Although I can't final fix until the new roll cage parts are here and welded in.
I trial fitted the rear canopy and fitted the lights, rear loom,locks, canopy telescopic struts and of course the carbon rear wing.
Although this wing is painted I will consider stripping it back to carbon and having in re polished. If not replace it for new... I'll see how it comes up.
When you consider how time consuming a gt40 body is to get right. I reckon you can easily fit a complete Ultima body and align it in a day.
I did have a bit of trouble getting the Ultima lights into that new rear canopy, I had to sand a portion of the light cowlings, took about 2 hours to do all six.

Attachments

• web 0148.jpg
    web 0148.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 391
  • web 0152.jpg
    web 0152.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 369
  • web 0162.jpg
    web 0162.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 415
  • web 0167.jpg
    web 0167.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 385
Hi Tom, Cage I believe is RAC approved as well as other type approvals.
But although the pictures are not great examples they show the 2 rear supports from the rear top of the cross member and the other picture shows the main hope following the screen area with 2 braces back to the main cross member.
This screen and braces bars are what I'm waiting for.
Ultima's website shows a better picture of the bare chassis where all is revealed.
Cheers

Attachments

• web cage 2.jpg
    web cage 2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 425
  • web cage.jpg
    web cage.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 410
Hi Tom, Cage I believe is RAC approved as well as other type approvals.
But although the pictures are not great examples they show the 2 rear supports from the rear top of the cross member and the other picture shows the main hope following the screen area with 2 braces back to the main cross member.
This screen and braces bars are what I'm waiting for.
Ultima's website shows a better picture of the bare chassis where all is revealed.
Cheers
Ok, in the early pics I just saw the hoop behind the driver, nice car.

Back