UN1 upgrade --question

I am about to blow $4,000 for a GTO UN1 upgrade kit. Anyone here have used this Kit ? Is there any issue in fitment and operation of this kit?
Is the kit stronger than the stock UN1 components (as advertised) ?

Can someone give me a feedback about the GTO kit?

There is a new guy on the block who will release a UN1 upgrade in the USA in collaboration of Derek Bell (his design but USA material).

The shaft/gears & other components will produce by
EMCO Gears in Chicago Illinois. Thier upgrade could be good too. They haven't tested thier product and I'm afraid to spend the $$$$

any advice?

Lotus V8,

I spoke to a sales guy. He did not reveal to much, just that more info is to follow on the mod.

We'll see!

Cheers,
Scott

Lotus V8,

Tornado sells the Single Piece Input Shaft.

If you are willing to wait a few weeks, I can have it put in the crate that my TS40 is coming in, and save you the shipping costs from England.

Those parts are heavy and it could save you some significant coin!

Regards,
Scott

Hi LotusV8

We use the DB conversion, manufactured by Quaife, in a UN1 in Roy Smart's Mk1 GTD....

It has worked very well for a number of years, (5+??) and is combined with an ATB Diff. Roy's stroker motor produced 500+ hp and Derek Bell's Lola T70 (Chevy Powered) also had similar amount.

Dave Parker has used one on his GTD R42 with a 6.3L Chevy + 150Nos... Still ok... although he has now switched to a GTO 6-Speed Straight Cut conversion, which also fits in the UN1 casings and he reports he's very pleased with it thus far. It has also been driven hard with slicks on the R42 which weighs approx 1400Kg...

There is a lot of info already posted on the forum re the UN1 upgrades, so use the search function and you'll find a load more info....:)

Yeah I did search and read a couple of them.
I didn't know there are couple of this shaft around.
I thought there are only two design, GTO engineering & Derek Bell.
Hmmmmm what is DB conversion?...excuse me. Is this another shaft kit?

I will be spending lots of money. While there, I need to buy a quaife, change my clutch (twin disc + pressure plate, bearing-pilot), then my 2nd gear is grinding, therefore I need a synchro too....oh boy, my xmass gifts is gone! Wife will not be happy.

Hi LotusV8

We use the DB conversion, manufactured by Quaife, in a UN1 in Roy Smart's Mk1 GTD....

It has worked very well for a number of years, (5+??) and is combined with an ATB Diff. Roy's stroker motor produced 500+ hp and Derek Bell's Lola T70 (Chevy Powered) also had similar amount.

Dave Parker has used one on his GTD R42 with a 6.3L Chevy + 150Nos... Still ok... although he has now switched to a GTO 6-Speed Straight Cut conversion, which also fits in the UN1 casings and he reports he's very pleased with it thus far. It has also been driven hard with slicks on the R42 which weighs approx 1400Kg...

There is a lot of info already posted on the forum re the UN1 upgrades, so use the search function and you'll find a load more info....:)

DB = Derek Bell....:)

Derek Bell was the chap who originally designed the conversion kit. The input shaft is one piece and does not 'neck down' at all, so is a lot stronger than the two piece std Renault item. It comes cut with a std Ford spline that allows a wider range of clutch options too.

1st gear is straight cut and both 1st and 2nd are longer than standard UN1.

I believe there is another 'version' of this conversion about too, not too sure about it, who made/makes it etc.... someone else might know...

I think Derek has stopped producing kits now. He was very meticuluous with the specifications and all the parts he provided I believe to be of very good quality.

The 6-speed GTO conversion is being used by at least 2 club members, Daves R42 and Jool's Mk1 40.... Dave really likes the conversion and time will tell as to its strength - they don't call him 'max revs' for nothing!:D

DB= dEREK bELL HOLLY sH&&T i DIDN'T CATCH THAT.

I'm afraid to use the Ford shaft/clutch because of any modification.
I wish I can use the Ford because the AP racing clutch for Lotus V8 is sucks...garbage.

z
DB = Derek Bell....:)

Derek Bell was the chap who originally designed the conversion kit. The input shaft is one piece and does not 'neck down' at all, so is a lot stronger than the two piece std Renault item. It comes cut with a std Ford spline that allows a wider range of clutch options too.

1st gear is straight cut and both 1st and 2nd are longer than standard UN1.

I believe there is another 'version' of this conversion about too, not too sure about it, who made/makes it etc.... someone else might know...

I think Derek has stopped producing kits now. He was very meticuluous with the specifications and all the parts he provided I believe to be of very good quality.

The 6-speed GTO conversion is being used by at least 2 club members, Daves R42 and Jool's Mk1 40.... Dave really likes the conversion and time will tell as to its strength - they don't call him 'max revs' for nothing!:D

Well, S2KLotus, why dont you just get the spline type you want cut on the shaft, or easier still, get a set of plate(s) with the correct spline centre put on to the plate type you want?
I have a 1-peice shaft in my Un1-13 box. I had it made to my specs following along the lines of the English version. I found it was going to be extremely expensive to get the upgrade kit from the UK, and they wouldnt make the shaft longer for my application either. So I made my own version of the upgrade, including different gears etc etc. Ive also had the chance to see what other modifications I can do, and I will be enlarging the size (width) of the 5th gear for extra strength - a 27% increase in size, as this has in the past been prone to failure in the Lotus V8's and other users of the gearbox.

Malcolm

Supporter
I also run the DB upgrade on my box and have done so for many years like Roy Smart. With the ATB diff it makes a good combination. As comparing DB kit to GTO kit, I think you will find they are the same as I beleive GTO took over the distribution from DB a short while back. GTO also do the full 6 speed conversion kit as mentioned above. All quaife parts.

One other point of clarification I need to make having read the posts below.

The GTO 5 speed upgrade is not my design, or it had better not be!

My upgrade has only been made as described as in my earlier posts, there is no agreement with GTO to make my design.

Derek Bell

Back