UN5 Gearbox - Wanting a LSD.

Hi all, we're running a UN5 in our car, but I'm getting fed up of lighting the tyres up and getting nowhere, I've been searching for the past couple of months for a plate-style LSD without success, does anyone have any suggestions?

A custom-made one is probably not an option as it's a fairly low-budget car.

Thanks.
-Phillip

Hm, after doing a bit more reading on here it looks like nobody else is running a UN5, so probably not much in the way of help?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I believe the UN5 is used in vans and as such the final drive is too short to make it much use in a V8 engined car and so yes you will end up smoking tyres

LSD wiould help - perhaps a call direct to Quaife and see if they have something that will fit

IAn

Mike Pass

Supporter
Try Chris Cole. He rebuilds many different transaxles. He may know if the Quaife diff normally fitted to the Renault transaxles (eg R25,30,21 turbo etc.) will fit your box. Most people use the 21 turbo box as it is the strongest and has the best ratios. It may be easier to change to this box rather than modding the one you have. They can be obtained relatively easily via Ebay, Chris Cole etc.
Cheers
Mike

Thanks all, I didn't really want to use an ATB as they're pretty crap if one wheel completely looses traction, and it's built as a rally car, hence the use of the UN5 box with the shorter ratios (which work quite nicely with a 10krpm limit), it sounds like their's currently no plate diffs. available for the renault transaxles then?

May have to cobble one together with a housing and some bike clutch packs.

Hmmm Didnt the Lotus Esprit Sport 300 use a plate-type LSD? Mind you, there were only 53 of those cars made ....

I've been offered a UN1 diff. for a few hundred quid, I've not really looked at the UN1 so I don't know what it's like, but can it be adapted for use with the UN5?

Back