Visiting Goodwood Revival and Car Museum

Earthquake repaired has finally finished about a week ago, and now is the time to plan my trip to UK. Always like to view the original Ford GT40 in the flesh.

My interest is Ford GT40, Mercedes 300SL as well as some old vintage motor bikes, which I have had collected in Mid 70's before I came to New Zealand. Some of my collection includes Norton 750 commando, Norton Dominator 99, 1945 Triumph 350 single, 1952 Triumph Tiger 100, Kawasaki 900Z1 and numbers of super bikes.

Me and my wife will be at Goodwood revival for 3 days (Saturday on Grand Stand) we will be staying in Portsmouth and would likes to know how bad will be the traffic and parking at Chichester town. Will be travelling in England for about 2 week, and would like some advise on interesting car museum or collection.

As we are very close to our departure date, all information and advise is much appreciated.

Cheers
LIM

Lim,

A good museum to visit would be the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, its about 1 hours drive , west of Portsmouth.

National Motor Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are loads of very intresting Cars and Motorcycles there. The staff are very helpfull, if there is a car you want to take some close up pics off, they will allow you behind the barrirers to take pics

I hope you enjoy your trip to england

The traffic getting in and out of Goodwood is, and always has been a pain. I arrive early (between 7 and 7.30) and leave late to miss the worst of the traffic. This also allows me to have a good look round before the crowds arrive (rather than sitting in traffic). The parking at Goodwood is in fields surrounding the track, chichester is a few miles away, there are plenty of car parks for the town but you wouldn't park there for the Revival. Mick is right about beaulieu, it's a good day out with some Interesting cars, worth a visit.

Have a great trip

Jas

Beaulieu National Motor Museum is a must do if you have the time. The displays are
frequently changed, and there are always some very historic and interesting automobiles to be seen. Have a look at the 007 James Bond stuff while you are there. There is also a very interesting shop in Lymington. Rod Jolley's coachbuilding
37 Gordleton Industrial Park, Sway Road, Lymington, Hampshire, should you wish a little further drive. Neat stuff, all!

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
LIM,
The Goodwood car parks are excellent but massive and can be a bit of a hike after a long day, especially if the weather is off and it is pretty miserable walking across the grassland.
Getting out after the event can also be a bit of a long wait if you leave it late.

Alternatively, you can get a train from Portsmouth to Chichester and pick up an open top Festival bus right outside the railway station. (cheap)
These buses run about every five minutes to Goodwood and will take you straight into the Festival entrance. Many folks do this to avoid the parking and save time.
You can return back to Chichester from the same drop off point and it's quicker since the buses have a priority lane.

One small thing to remember is the dress code if accessing the paddock or membership areas.

Have a safe trip and enjoy it mate.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your valuable information.
10 days is not long enough to visit many places (as I be back in Singapore for the F1 racing and back to NZ for Vintage Car Swap Meet)

Will visit National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, might also go to Donington Park (if time permit) also Brooklands Museum if we can.

LIM

If you're staying it Portsmouth, you should visit the Mary Rose (King Henry VIII's flagship), the HMS Victory, and the other ships at the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - The Attractions

Tickets are good for one-year, so you can split your visit across a couple of days (but tickets for the Mary Rose are timed, so if you want to go back a second time to see the Mary Rose, you'll need to schedule a new time). Once we found out that the tickets allow you to return, my wife and I considered going back for a second day.

The "All Attraction" ticket includes a harbor tour which takes you past the modern navy ships.

The Mary Rose museum is well-worth a devoting a couple hours to see. They recently opened the museum and it's very nicely setup. I'll have to return in 2016 to see the Mary Rose after they finish drying it out (after 400 years at the bottom of Portsmouth harbor).

Lim - Interesting collection. What year is the Z-1? I still have my 1973 - bought it new. It was the first year and probably regarded as the father of superbikes.

If you're staying it Portsmouth, you should visit the Mary Rose (King Henry VIII's flagship), the HMS Victory, and the other ships at the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - The Attractions

Tickets are good for one-year, so you can split your visit across a couple of days (but tickets for the Mary Rose are timed, so if you want to go back a second time to see the Mary Rose, you'll need to schedule a new time). Once we found out that the tickets allow you to return, my wife and I considered going back for a second day.

The "All Attraction" ticket includes a harbor tour which takes you past the modern navy ships.

The Mary Rose museum is well-worth a devoting a couple hours to see. They recently opened the museum and it's very nicely setup. I'll have to return in 2016 to see the Mary Rose after they finish drying it out (after 400 years at the bottom of Portsmouth harbor).

Hi Ben
Thank you for your information, sound like an interesting place. We have change our departure a few days earlier so that we have more days in UK, leaving tomorrow to Singapore.

Hopefully there will be a Ford GT40 50th Victory anniversary celebration in 2016 at Le Man, if so will be planning to go and will be more travelling in UK and Europe.

LIM

Lim - Interesting collection. What year is the Z-1? I still have my 1973 - bought it new. It was the first year and probably regarded as the father of superbikes.

Hi A.J
Apologies for the late response, am busy at the moment.
My Z-1 (1975) bought it second hand in 1980 with a big bore kit. You are "RIGHT" at that time it is regarded the father of superbikes. The only problem with this bike is it waves at high speed corner or riding hard, at that time I am quite small size less than 55kgs. Always bring back memory of those days when my friend Z1 race against Ron Haslam Honda in Malaysia track. His Z1 placement is always at the back of the grid and he can only beat Ron Haslam on the first corner in every race, and always come last.
Sold all my bikes and move to New Zealand about 27 years ago. My last bike Honda Valkyrie interstate was sold 4 years ago

LIM

Attachments

• IMG_0773_1_1.jpg
    IMG_0773_1_1.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 253
  • img774.bmp
    466.2 KB · Views: 249
  • img775.bmp
    868.9 KB · Views: 235
  • img776.bmp
    426.5 KB · Views: 213
  • img783.bmp
    433 KB · Views: 217
  • img785.bmp
    433 KB · Views: 225
What is your itinerary and do you have a contact number while you are in the UK?
Dave M

Hi Dave

My only interest is Ford GT40 for this trip. Any other visit is a bonus. You can contact me or text me on my Singapore mobile number 9890 7741. Will be at the Revival for 3 days

LIM

Wow! That's a monster for anyone! Have you had that topple on you at any time?

It's a monster alright. 9 feet long and more comfortable than Gold Wing and other touring bike that I have biked.
During those day that I have rode in Singapore and Malaysia (have crashed 4 times at high speed and luckily no broken bones), we only have helmet on never have had any leather jacket nor hand gloves (those days when you a caught on high speed with leather jacket and gloves on will be charged as hell rider)

LIM

Attachments

• img781.bmp
    433 KB · Views: 217
  • img782.bmp
    433 KB · Views: 216
Hi Dave

My only interest is Ford GT40 for this trip. Any other visit is a bonus. You can contact me or text me on my Singapore mobile number 9890 7741. Will be at the Revival for 3 days

LIM

Flight was delayed for 4 hours and managed to rent a car and a new SIM card for UK. My contact number 07586078861.
Would be nice if I could meet with some GT40 enthusiasts

LIM

Back