Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Re: GT40 Australia #48

You are right Craig I cant wait. I think my biggest problem now might be getting the car from Peter R who was last seen doing four wheel drifts around the back streets near his factory under the guise of "testing". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Peter D winning the Ipswich cup with Forest Jim made me "Ecstatic"(see pic) but 355RWHP comes close.
Brett, I spoke to Peter re the mirrors he has the high mounted mirrors same as on my car available in both manual and electric. The price of the manual $A278.00 each and electric $A377.00 each. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• 66154-DSC_0056.JPG
    66154-DSC_0056.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 616

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

The car is back from the paint shop after application of pin stripe and final buffing. I am very pleased with the way
the pin striping highlights the silver stripe.
The car should be ready for me to take home today. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'll give you my drive impressions tomorrow.

Attachments

• 66679-PinStripingFinished11-10-05001.jpg
    66679-PinStripingFinished11-10-05001.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 755

Looks great Pete. Glad it's finally ready to go.

Can't wait to hear how it drives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Hi Pete,

"The car should be ready for me to take home today. I'll give you my drive impressions tomorrow."

How you have waited to post that line !!!!

BLOODY BEAUTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The car looks stunning - I just don't know how you had the self-control to leave it alone until the last tiny detail was finished - "I tips me hat to you, me old son" !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Craig and Peter,much appreciated. Here is the car in my front Driveway at home Woooooohoooooo, yeeehaaaaar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 66747-arrivinghome13-10-05003(Small).jpg
    66747-arrivinghome13-10-05003(Small).jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 905

Peter,

WOW it looks great, but how did you get that big scratch on the door? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good on Pete. What a relief it must be to finally have it in YOUR garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Enjoy it!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Drive home impressions, Peter Ransom gave a run through on the controls and which switches did what. Didn't hear a thing to keen to get going. Finally settled in the seat belts on and away. Terrified I would stall it in front of the assembled staff of D.R.B. However no problem, the clutch take up was very smooth and progressive. A gentle second gear run to the end of the service road and onto the on ramp off the freeway.
The speed limit is 110k so I decided to give it a bit of a squirt on the ramp to get up to speed. Gave myself a mental
4000rpm rev limit because of the newness of the engine and put the right foot into it.
HOLY SNAPPIN DUCKSH#%T the rev limiter was quicker than my ability to find the next gear. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Entered the freeway at about 150k on the speedo when I had time to look. Oops sorry officer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Settled into the flow of traffic, reminded myself to breath and started to enjoy. At the speed limit 110k in fifth gear
the engine turns at about a lazy 2000 RPM. The torque is such that the car will accelerate smoothly and with no apparent effort from 1500 revs in fifth to subsonic very quickly. Drop it down a cog and it snaps your head off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
At one stage I did drop it into 4th to overtake a slower car
and changed lanes only to find myself having to brake to avoid running into the car in front.
The noise level within the car is such that at cruiseing speeds one could easily carry on a normal conversation or listen to the radio with no problem. When you put your boot into it then things are different, but it sounds terrific.
It took me a little time to get used to the pedal offset, but after ten minutes no drama.
The suspension is firm but that was expected. Steering was direct and much lighter than I expected. I guess that is one of the benefits of a mid engined car.
The gear shift is positive and easy, even though I was not used to the five speed configuration.
Handling I cannot really comment on although I did throw it into a couple of S bends at the end of the freeway the car was nowhere near its limits. My impression was that my limit would be reached long before the cars was.
Peter's race seats are terrific and very comfortable and they offer great support in all the right places.
When I arrived home people seemed to materialise from nowhere and I found myself answering questions from complete
strangers.
My overall impression F%%#king Fantastic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Di wants me to ring PR and order one for her. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Grin from ear to ear in MY garage.

Attachments

• 66753-arrivinghome13-10-05005(Small).jpg
    66753-arrivinghome13-10-05005(Small).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 874

Pete,

Now give us your honest impression. Do you like it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Congratulations! BTW, I love the pinstripe!

Bill

Pete,
Congrats!!! You have attained what all of us want to. You saw it through to the end. It's enough to keep me going. Maybe by spring I can do as well. Have fun now and "learn the car" so she doesn't have to visit the painters shop. Let's get some track time and see how she performs!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Just got this pic, which I think is really good, from my mate Ross who drove me down to DRB to pick up #48. Shows me in his rear view mirror on the way home.

Attachments

• 66837-arrivinghome13-10-05002(Small).jpg
    66837-arrivinghome13-10-05002(Small).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 794

Bill Hara

Old Hand
GT40s Supporter

Awesome shots Pete and congrats to you, lovely job on the 40! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Will you be christening the car with a drive down to Melbourne for the OZ F1 GP next March 31????
Hopefully I will have my project on the road by then........... famous last words... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Well Pete, its finally done - you and the "second love of your life" are together at last !

The car looks gorgeous, and it sounds like you did the right thing in waiting until everything was done - trouble-free motoring from Day 1. I bet that drive home was really something (lucky there were no "gentlemen of the law" around for that 150kph squirt) !!

Perhaps you would like to complete the running-in process by dropping down to Sydney for our second GT40 Drive Day (a run out to Steve Shedden's place & a BBQ) ?? !!

Have fun, and remember that you will have to get out of the car from time to time to eat & take more pics !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Bill, next years F1GP is firmly on the agenda.
Peter D, thanks for the kind word's. I had to raise the front ride height a tad to enter my garage without scraping the nose, so drove back to GT40 Australia yesterday to borrow the tool. Much more confident driving it now and enjoying the grunt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thank God I installed cruise control, only way I can stay below the speed limit.
A nice touch from Peter Ransom, when I got to the factory he had made me the tool to raise and lower the ride height, polished it up and engraved
"DRB GT40 48" on it. Thanks Peter.
I was followed a couple of times by Police cars on the trip,
just having a look I think. And I was hoping for a chick magnet, not a cop magnet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter R. told me I just missed you on Saturday morning.

Did you consider modifying the driveway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How much did you have to lift it up? Might need another wheel alignment if you changed height enough.

I've got to get a different set of front springs as my GT40 needs to be lowered more...much, much more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Sorry I missed you Craig, but I didn't hang around as I was in a hurry to go and lose money on a ##%%% horse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
We only raised it a couple of centimeters. And I thought about modifying the driveway but dont think "She who must be obeyed" would go with that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'll be at Indy Thursday and Sunday are you going?

Back