Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Re: GT40 Australia #48

Nah, doesn't look like I'm going to be able to make Indy this year. Looks like I have house renovations to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Considering I got away to Cobra Nationals & Bathurst this month. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'm not complaining that much.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Well raising the ride height didn't work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif So I will have to sit down and figure out how to modify the drive way to stop the nose scraping, and I'll put the ride height back to where it should be.
I spent yesterday at Indy on the Gold Coast with Peter Ransom and his engineer Gary as my guests in the Lexmark VIP
box. Miss Indy did a Photo Shoot right in front of us which was pretty distracting. Unfortunately I forgot to take my camera so no pics. Sorry guys. I will be back on Sunday and will make a point of taking the camera so stick around.
We were able to go on a walk around the pits and the contrast between the attitude of the Champ car people compared to those of F1 is remarkable.
The Champ car guys were friendly and were happy to let you look all over the cars and answer questions. the only things covered were wing settings. A bunch of very friendly
"good guys". My experience with F1 has been the exact opposite, where if you could wangle a pit walk (almost impossible) everyone was very cold and distant. Good onya Champ guys you are great ambassadors for your sport.

Thanks for the update Pete.

With the driveway, try entering from a few different angles, from the left, from the right, try on a severe angle or even dead on. Just get someone to watch the front of the car, if it's going to scrape, reverse and try another angle. Reversing normally makes things worse, but you could always try it.

Also make sure you do the testing with neighbours watching, will give them a good laugh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You could always drop some timber down as a temporary measure, just make sure you don't clip the side of the timber with tyre and cause it to spring up onto the body etc.

I actually had to make some timber ramps for my old place to get the Cobra up the driveway. Was a pain in the backside, getting them out and putting them away each time I wanted to drive the car.

My current driveway is flat as a tack, I reckon you would even get a champ car in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You have probably tried some of this stuff anyway.

Have fun at Indy, I'm not going this year, got some house renovation work to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well I did getr to go to the Cobra Nationals & Bathurst...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, thanks Craig,I have tried all of the above with zero
result. I am using timber at the moment so thanks for the heads up about the bodywork. I dont need to invite the neighbors to watch, as soon as I fire her up they just seem to materialise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Pete,
Might be able to help you get your car into the driveway. Actually thats how I came to get a 40 in the first place. I went to do a quote for a guy who was building a car & it was just about finished and he couldnt get it out. Turned out it was a 40 & the rest is history. I feel in love and now am the proud owner of DRB#17.
Back to your driveway. I am involved in the asphalt industry so depending on your road, kerb & driveway construction etc. we can modify it to allow for a gentle approach to allow your 40 to get home & tucked away in her safe warm bed.

Can you send me some photos of your driveway etc. & I might be able to give you some advise here or we can arrange to meet.

Cheers
Greg

Sorry that should be fell in love and that should be qualified with "again" with permission from the navigator and with a material object not a person as in the first time.

whooah how to get yourself in the #%&*/ real quick.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Good call Greg, I think you would have a job with every '40 owner on the land --- as opposed to the ocean or the sky-- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif--What? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Pete:- It's been 3 weeks short of 2 years from go to whoa,29353 views, 409 replies and a 5 star rating to this project and now you find out it won't fit the driveway--what have you been doing??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now theres another idea Chris. Hey Pete you can park it at my place until you can get it in your driveway, just leave me the keys too!!!!! At least it will have company.

Hey Pete,
I can help you with your drive way problem! Once I tell you what to do you will never see her scrape again!
Next time you take the car out of your drive it will be the last time it scrapes if you follow my instructions. Before you take it out of the garage, give me about six hours notice as i live in Sydney. I'll jump on a plane and come to your place, them we'll fire her up and i'll watch and see where she scrapes while you drive her out.
Then you jump out, I'll jump in and as I said earlier I promise you won't ever see her scrape again on your drive.

Anyway jokes aside your car looks great, i hope you will bring it down this way one day.

Steve

Gee Pete. The car must come first...sell the house. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Greg, thanks for the offer but I have a solution which won't entail a reconstruction of the drive.
Flatchat, you are right it has been a long haul and I had plenty of time to think about the drive, basically I screwed up. I made sure I could get from the road onto the driveway and forgot about the entry to the garage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Steve, thanks mate I have had a lot of offers like yours from my neighbors. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Norman, correct /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
I went to the gas station to fill up on Saturday morning and what normally takes about ten minutes took about half an hour with me answering questions of complete strangers.
Of course I loved it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hi Pete,

What we did at Closeburn was make an asphalt ramp up to the mountable kerb to lessen the angle of approach. Quite simple and cost was about $450.
If this is of any help give me a call.

Cheers
Greg

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Greg, thanks I have solved the problem with a sheet of treaded aluminium plate, reinforced with top hat beams. Quite light and moveable. I will post pics when it is in place.

Hi Pete,
Sounds flash. Glad to here you got it sorted. dont tell to many people though, you might do me out of business lol.

I am looking forward to seeing the car in its finished state after seeing it in the shop and following the picks here. Probably wont be able to make the next open day at GT40 Aust. Wife has other priorities, something about an anniversery.

Cheers
Greg

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Don't worry Greg, I wont tell anybody. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You are always
welcome to come round share a beer, bullsh#t and have a look over #48.
I am already discovering a whole host of new friend's through the GT40 fraternity. Yesterday Mick an RF40 owner who saw me driving home past his place about one click from where I live (small world etc) called in and we became newest best mates.
Mick has done an excellent job on his GT and unfortunately
the batteries on my camera went before I got photos to do it justice. I will post the ones I took anyway. And tomorrow I am meeting up with Brett from the U.K. for lunch
and then back to my place to look over #48.
It's all good mate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Mick's RF.

Attachments

• 67713-m1.jpg
    67713-m1.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 1,057

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Garage access solved. Treaded plate Aluminium re-enforced with top hat beams.E.Z.

Attachments

• 68319-small-p1.jpg
    68319-small-p1.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,086
Back