Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Re: GT40 Australia #48

We managed to catch up with Brett McCall from the U.K. when he visited Brisbane on his trip downunder.A very pleasant very long lunch was followed by a trip home to inspect #48.
And several more cold ones were downed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Pic.is of Brett talking to DI.

Attachments

• 68321-Brett.jpg
    68321-Brett.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 888

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

After a couple of weeks of very pleasant but unmistakable comments by neighbors, like "heard you go to work yesterday"and being followed by the local police and getting very sick of short shifting, I decided that I should do something about taming the incredible goose bump raising sound of #48. P.R. recommended fitting Super Traps.
See Pics. The Super trap fits on the end of the exhaust pipe
and has a variable number of baffles or traps bolted on behind the end plate. The more traps in place the louder the music and the less back pressure. To quieten things down just remove some of the traps. So you have instant exhaust tuning capability. For track days just take off all the traps and you are back to the original exhaust set up.
The manufacturer claims that horse power is actually increased by fitting super traps. When we have done enough miles to put the engine back on the Dyno we will have a fiddle and discover what is the best setup for both H.P. and
torque.
How do they sound? Well gone is the ferocious BRAAAAAATTT,
replaced now with a more sophisticated VROOOOM.All life is a compromise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
How do they look? Frankly, compared to the end pipes I have been used to, I think they look crap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But some people have commented on how cool they look. Anyway I think if I was trying to win a show and shine I would take them off.
Do they do the job? So far, an emphatic yes, I am no longer worried about the neighbors or the Police. The Dyno will tell the story. I'll let you know.

On a different note, I want to give GT40 Australia, Peter Ransom and staff an accolade. On Saturday when I was washing the car, mysteriously the brake lights came on and stayed on. I thought I had got water into the wiring somewhere which was causing a short. I dried everything and even used a hair dryer (don't tell Di)to chase all moisture away. To no avail. I rang Peter who gave me a few things to try, but the lights stayed on. By now it was late so I disconnected the the power and called it a night. Sunday I was involved in other things so the problem remained until today.
I rang Peter and he said "bring the car down". I said "when" and he replied "whenever it is convenient for you" I told him I would be there in half an hour. When I arrived Peter had his crew move the Cobra they were working on out of the way and immediately put three people to work on my car to sort the problem.
As it turned out the short was not caused by me washing the car. When the compliance plate was fitted a drill nicked the plastic covering on a wire and the pop rivet came into contact. A couple of hundred kilometers was enough for metal to metal contact to happen and voila, a short and constant power to the brake lights. Ten minutes later problem fixed. No delay, no argument, no charge and sorry Pete, our fault. How refreshing. I hope that my customers think the same about my after sales service as I do about Gt40 Australia's.
No, I am not related, nor do I own shares in the company. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Here is a pic of the Super Traps.

Attachments

• 68828-Super-traps-1.jpg
    68828-Super-traps-1.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 857

Hey Pete,
I saw you pulling in as i pulled out i was in the white ute with trailer. Your car looks great on the road, i looked for some parking but couldn't find any with trailer on, i wanted to have a look at your car. Maybe next time, anyway car looks great.

Steve

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Well, 30,859 views and 424 posts. I think it is time to say my car is completed and so is this build thread. Thanks everone for the interest you showed and the help and support along the way. I have met and communicated with a lot of terrific people, some of whom, I am sure will become good friends. It has been a great ride. Now I wonder what the next project is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The start.

Attachments

• 68954-chassis#48.JPG
    68954-chassis#48.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 745

Pete, I haven't posted on this thread before, but I really enjoyed watching your build. It is a shame it has come to the end (your post, I mean - not your build!) as your highs and lows were very involving - particularly towards the end.

I hope you regularly post "A funny thing happened to me this morning as I was driving down the road..." type anecdotes, and about your general feelings as you and your car learn to get along.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the kind words Richard, I will continue to post
from time to time when something of interest happens.
Already I have learnt that despite the amount of rear wheel
rubber, too much right foot coming out of a slow corner will result in instant sideways. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifIt was pretty steep at the time.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

On Saturday DRB #48 had its first outing to a display.
We were asked to bring our cars to a Christmas party for underprivileged kids. Four cars turned up, three R.F's. and my DRB.The day went very well with the cars creating a huge amount of interest.So much so that I will spend the next week cleaning little kids sticky paw marks off the paint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif
Mick, who owns the black R.F. and I were interviewed by the course announcer who asked us a bit about the history of the GT40. Needless to say Ferrari copped a flogging /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
They must have thought it went o.k. because they replayed it about four times during the day. Mick reckons that Hollywood will now be chasing him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
It was very hot and humid, but fortunately we found the beer tent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif Micks car is the black and silver, #48 you know, Bruce owns the British racing green car with the gold stripe and Wayne owns the yellow car.

Attachments

• 69609-DSCN0243.jpg
    69609-DSCN0243.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 808

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

And we found the beer tent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif.
From the left,Wayne,Mick, yours truly and Bruce.

Attachments

• 69613-DSCN0253.jpg
    69613-DSCN0253.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 775

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

After 2500 KLM's of running in we went back to the Dyno and found a few more H.P. We now have 362.5 H.P. at the rear wheels and a healthy torque curve peaking at just under 1800 ftlbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif We will have another look at about 5000 KlM's.

Attachments

• 70383-dyno-small.jpg
    70383-dyno-small.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 698

Can you believe I just finally got around to reading this thread ! Inspiring and a great car !

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the kind words Johan. I have now clocked up just over 3000 KLM's despite being out of the country for six weeks over Dec, January. As soon as it is run in I will take it back to the Dyno and then hopefully find a day at QLD Raceway to put it through it's paces. I might even offer Flatchat a drive so he can report back from a race driver's
point of view. With the air conditioner turned off of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

Attachments

• 75118-FinishedReadyforDelivery12-10-05027(Small).jpg
    75118-FinishedReadyforDelivery12-10-05027(Small).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 779

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Oooooh boy! my knees are shakin'---I'd better get a new suit and shoes to match that interior--might have to take out the comfort control air bags from the seat to fit though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back