Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Re: GT40 Australia #48

Windscreen wiper motor and assembly fitted.

Attachments

• 38140-wipe1.JPG
    38140-wipe1.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,166

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Really nice progress Pete - I bet you are getting just a tad excited by now !

Your aly radiator looks beautiful - mine must be an early incarnation (a modified Commodore, I think). My RHS pipe is at the top of the side tank which was a pain to plumb - yours should be easier.

One quick observation - are you planning on any type of bleed from the top of the rad ? I ended up putting one in after having huge problems getting all the air out of the high spots - it is just a spigot with a threaded cap. Once I have time, I'll change it to a nice neat tap with a spout that I can stick a length of clear plastic tubing on for the bleeding process. I'll also do the same for the top heater hose going into the heater core, and on the top of the intake manifold where the temp sensor is located. With these 3 high spots covered for bleeding, things should be much easier when it comes time to replace the coolant.

After all the initial bleeding dramas, I saw a Toyota MR2 with such taps at the high points & nice little coils of clear tubing attached so that they can be led out of the car for bleeding. How come you only see these things after the event ??

Some of the guys have run a small-bore tube from the top of the rad, back to the header tank so as to provide a continuous bleed from the rad - they all swear that it make a big difference. It might be worth checking this out now, as it is a real bitch to run another tube from front to back later (which is why I haven't done it (yet) ) !

Keep the pics rolling !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Peter, if you look at the last picture of the radiator, in the upper left hand corner you will see a small black circle - this is actually a bleed port already in the radiator with a "thumb screw" plastic nut.

I do like your idea of running a tube from that point back to the blead tank in the engine compartment, if I can fit another tube in the center tunnel I'll add that in - thanks for the tip!

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

I know I'm getting old, but even I should have spotted that little bleed port !! I think that a hose from here back to the tank (& from the heater pipes)is a "nice to have" option, but have concluded that a bleed from the rear of the intake manifold to the thermo / pump / tank is more important. I am using the DC&O 8-stack setup, & had to drill & tap holes in the back of the manifold - the car runs much cooler now - 90degC on the move with no rad fan, 95degC at standstill with the fan on. That sure beats looking at steam - either out of the car or my ears !!

I think there was a thread called "Hey Robert" which teased this out.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the heads up Peter, that is a bleed point on the top left corner. But I like your idea of a bleed from the rear of the intake manifold also.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Thanks Pete, but I can't take any credit for the rear manifold bleed idea. Its been around for quite a while - Robert Logan has done it ages & nearly all the other DC&O manifolds I have seen have got it. The strange thing is that the holes are not there in that manifold in the first place.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

A bit more progress,hydraulic reservoirs in place. Steering
rack fitted,sway bar fitted.

Attachments

• 39030-RIMG0002.JPG
    39030-RIMG0002.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,352

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

And nothing to do with my build, but this car looked so good
just back from the paint shop I couldn't resist taking a pic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 39035-RIMG0011.JPG
    39035-RIMG0011.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,405

Pete,
Did you go with the aircon. from DRB or is that aftermarket? Also, did you have to alter the footpedals any?
Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Bill, Aircon is supplied by DRB.WE will fit me in place once seat is ready. The drivers seat is on rails and can be moved back and forwards to suit. (only possible if you are a relative short arse like me). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great looking car Pete. That's real close to the paint I'm looking do do on mine.
John

Pete, can you post pictures of the seat with rails installed? I'm looking to do this as well on mine, but the manual stated that DRB had not passed the ADR's with a "movable seat" so mine's hard bolted to the floor.

thanks

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Dave, my seats are not the replica "hammock" type seats but
are a much stronger design. I dont think the ADR's (Australian Design rules)would have any effect in the U.S.
anyway. You would have to pass your local rules.I will post picks when the rails are installed.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

head light covers fitted

Attachments

• 39823-GT40 #48 Under Construction 24-6-04 005.jpg
    39823-GT40 #48 Under Construction 24-6-04 005.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,061
Back