Attachments

• 43511-instruments-from-rear.jpg
    43511-instruments-from-rear.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 979

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Re: GT40 Australia #48

Wow Pete, that is a nice dash setup !

Is the side-by-side tacho/speedo a new DRB standard, or a special for your car ? (Heaps better than being stuck with the tacho way off to the left like mine). Is that a big eye-ball vent on the left where the tachos used to go ?

Also, what is the little box of tricks just to the right of the L/R fuel changeover switch ?

Getting close now !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Peter, DRB will do the Tacho set up either way at your request. I thought it was better to have the tacho in front
of the driver rather than off to the side. The traditionalists out there would disagree. The "little box of tricks" is cruise control. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif And that is an air con vent where the Tacho normally sits.

Nice set up of the dash. I think you would find that most 40's have the tach in front of the driver and the speedo off to the side.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Correct!! That is my dyslexia showing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Us lucky little ducks here in Oz have to have the speedo in front of the driver to meet the ADR's.

I have the speedo in front & the tacho way off on the side - not ideal, but legal. (I would have preferred the reverse setup as per original). What interested me is Pete's setup with both in front - both legal & practical. I might have to wait a while until I can justify a completely new dash !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Progress update: Car has gone for body preparation prior to
painting. Decided on Mazda RX8 red with a silver stripe.
Body will take several weeks to prepare so no posts for awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Was down at GT40 Australia last Saturday, got told your 40 was at the paint shop.

Hmm, have to keep an eye out for Red RX8's to get an idea of the colour.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Here is a small sample panel the painter did for me.
It does not show the gold pearl too well. Loses a lot through the computer. Do you like the blue or the black pin
stripe??

Attachments

• 45242-sample.jpg
    45242-sample.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 905

Pete,

Red, white, and blue? A bit patriotic, don't you think?

It'll look like Austin Power's Shaguar! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No offense to the Union Jack.

Go with the black pin stripes. JMHO.

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Thanks Bill, I think there is a little bit of Austin Powers
in all of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The blue is several shades darker than it appears in the pic.And the majority of people who have seen it "in the flesh" so to speak, reckon the blue lifts the silver stripe more than the black. Me?Still undecided. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Pete,

Here's an idea that you might want to try.

I fit temporary, paper stripes on my car to help in the decision making process. I tried 3",4", single stripe, double stripe, etc. I took photos of each different configuration, then pored over them for a while, before deciding. I knew my stripes were going to be be white, so it was a fairly simple procedure for me.

Bill

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Good idea Bill. I have decided on the RX8 red and a silver
stripe. Just need to work out the pinstripe. So thanks for the practicle solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Go down to the fabric store and get different color satin ribbons. Cut strips to the width you want and tape it on. Very visual and takes the quess work out of the decesion.

Bud,

The ribbon is great idea, especially the colors that would be available. I used a roll of adding machine paper(white)that I had lying around. Cheap, but functional. If I had thought of the ribbon before, who knows what color I'd have used? Striped stripes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif A checkered flag pattern? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter

Hmmmmm. Strips,stripes,ribbons,colors?? which reminds me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif You remember president de Gaulle who wore the funny little skull cap--it had 'Greek' letters on it-right!well you can imagine how hilarious it would be if it had 'French' letters on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Pearl red with snazzy silver--might as well do the blue pin stripes-just don't go dotty yet.
Have you decided where to put the "Fairlane Limousine" badges /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Been thinking about this and I think the black pinstripe would be more subtle. Blue pinstripe would have a little more flair.

My previous(Cobra) experiences with choosing colours etc is that it really helps if you can see or have photos of cars that have similiar paint schemes, even if the shades are different you can see what works and what doesn't work and what you like. Doesn't even have to be on a GT40.

Don's car that pictured on GT40 Aus website runs dark blue with silver stripe. He has run fairly thick orange pinstripes. I reckon it looks great. So yours is basically the opposite of that if you run with blue pinstripe.

Personally I would go with blue pinstripe.

I hate choosing colours, I never really make a decision till the last minute. Got to go through the process again in the next few weeks...fun, fun, fun.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Jeez Flatchat 200,000 comedians out of work and you're trying to be one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Speaking of Limos how about a stretch GT?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Norman, here is my version. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 45396-20482-19sandown%2019-07-03%.jpg
    45396-20482-19sandown%2019-07-03%.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,016
Back