we'll miss you......

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I wonder what will come of her...she was a bit too acerbic for me, but I know the more radical right-wing liked her a lot.

Considering what happened in the most recent POTUS election, I have to wonder if there really is a future for the radical right....it seems like a fringe group to me, albiet a fairly "loud" fringe group that might attract the "fringe" from the other side of the spectrum, too....there's not that much difference between the two ends of the spectrum, you know.

She will bear watching, though....while she may not be have front runner potential (again, IMHO), she may represent her fringe-group supporters loudly enough to play an important supporting role at some time.

Cheers!

Doug

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
She never had an important role before. She chaired no committees, represented her constituents poorly, was out for herself to a degree unusual even in politicians of all stripes, who are, after all, virtually always out only for themselves. She was also a habitual liar even when measured against her colleagues, many of whom, from both sides of the aisle, are habitual liars. But worst of all, she was not effective, and more than likely she wasn't going to win in 2014. As a matter of fact, it's hard to understand why she was elected and then reelected three times. Maybe her constituents are no more intelligent than she is.

Hopefully we'll see someone in that seat who is more articulate, better able to work across the aisle, etc.

Steve

Supporter
She never had an important role before. She chaired no committees, represented her constituents poorly, was out for herself to a degree unusual even in politicians of all stripes, who are, after all, virtually always out only for themselves. She was also a habitual liar even when measured against her colleagues, many of whom, from both sides of the aisle, are habitual liars. But worst of all, she was not effective, and more than likely she wasn't going to win in 2014. As a matter of fact, it's hard to understand why she was elected and then reelected three times. Maybe her constituents are no more intelligent than she is.

Hopefully we'll see someone in that seat who is more articulate, better able to work across the aisle, etc.

I live in her district and, while I'm not a fan, the alternatives were far worse. She had a talent for exaggeration and putting her foot in her mouth like no other but the left-leaning media eviscerated her in a way that exposed their biases.

The more the left fears someone the harder they come down on them. She and Palin obviously scared the living shit out of them.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
That's correct Bob, the fact that complete imbeciles who think that Africa is a country, don't read, think that vaccines are a government plot to kill kids, think that the Peace Corps is setting up concentration camps, and so on are actually in power scares the living shit out of me. Should scare you to, unless you think like that as well.

Steve, so you voted for Bachman correct? I always wondered who actually did that.....

Question. You say the alternative was worse. Really? Or was it just the fact that the alternative was a Democrat, any Democrat?

Alternative 1: Patty Wetterling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alternative 2: Elwyn Tinklenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alternative 3: Tarryl Clark - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Really? All three of those folks are worse than a clueless, racist, homophobic harpy?

Steve

Supporter
There's a saying "all politics is local". You know nothing of local politics in the 6th district. Your rant reveals that as well as your blind biases against the right. As I indicated, not a fan of Bachman, but her misstatements aren't going to bankrupt our country like her opponents policies would have.

Interesting that Jim Graves (her opponent in 2012 that you failed to mentioned above) dropped out the next day. Running for Congress was just a personal attack for him.

Pat

Supporter
Really? All three of those folks are worse than a clueless, racist, homophobic harpy?

Do we really need this kind of thing???

The name calling and hate speech is really making the forum an unpleasant place to be...

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
There's a saying "all politics is local". You know nothing of local politics in the 6th district. Your rant reveals that as well as your blind biases against the right. As I indicated, not a fan of Bachman, but her misstatements aren't going to bankrupt our country like her opponents policies would have.

Interesting that Jim Graves (her opponent in 2012 that you failed to mentioned above) dropped out the next day. Running for Congress was just a personal attack for him.

I've voted for Republicans before (nationally and local). Will again. I try not to vote for idiots. I wouldn't vote for Charlie Rangel for example if he were in my district regardless of who the alternative is/was. So people who say yay, I don't like the idiot but SHE's my idiot and vote for them anyway really, to me sum up what is wrong with the country right now.

It's not "misstatements" Steve. It's a scary level of stupidity.

So try again in explaining why you'd vote for the village idiot over someone on the other side who is professional, intelligent, but who doesn't agree with you on some economic issues?

PS -- You might want to check on that bankrupting the country stuff. Deficit dropping faster than CBO expected.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Do we really need this kind of thing???

The name calling and hate speech is really making the forum an unpleasant place to be...

Here's what we really need. When Larry, or Lonesome Nutjob, or Automan, or others goes on one of their far more offensive rants about people/politicians on the left, you need to jump in and say that's out of line. Because that is what started the downward spiral in this place, and guys like you -- who don't do it yourself -- sat around and let it happen. Some of it because you didn't want conflict, which I understand, but some of it because although you disagreed with the tone of the message, you didn't disagree with the message.

And yet, when it gets used in the other direction, you have a "we need civility freakout!"

There's a word for that. It starts with an "h" and ends with an "e". You figure it out.

P.S. My GUESS is if looked hard enough I could find you saying things similar to what I said above about Democrats.

P.S.S. I'll take back racist. The others are spot on, and accurate. Prove me wrong if you want.

Steve

Supporter
I've voted for Republicans before (nationally and local). Will again. I try not to vote for idiots. I wouldn't vote for Charlie Rangel for example if he were in my district regardless of who the alternative is/was. So people who say yay, I don't like the idiot but SHE's my idiot and vote for them anyway really, to me sum up what is wrong with the country right now.

It's not "misstatements" Steve. It's a scary level of stupidity.

So try again in explaining why you'd vote for the village idiot over someone on the other side who is professional, intelligent, but who doesn't agree with you on some economic issues?

PS -- You might want to check on that bankrupting the country stuff. Deficit dropping faster than CBO expected.

Over 50% of a highly educated and active 6th district voted for her in 3 straight elections. Might have been the lesser of the evils but regardless she won. Despite her gaffes, her fiscal policies were sound. Also, you're completely unfamiliar with her opponents and you won't find the details on the web.

The CBO estimates reflect the reality that many people took income in 2012 in order to lower their income in 2013 when they'd pay higher taxes. Even the Costco CEO (big Obama supporter and DNC speaker) did this. Still, Obama may well incur as much debt as all previous presidents combined. He couldn't do it without the help of a negligent congress.

Say what you will about Bachman, she vehemently opposed runaway spending. Even the chairman of the joint chiefs of staff views our debt as the country's greatest security risk.....

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Your middle paragraph is a nonsequitur. Do you even understand the point? The deficit is dropping faster than the CBO project and by 2016 is expected to be in the $500 billion range, and at a sustainable percentage of GDP. "Costco" and "people taking income in 2012 v. 2013" have exactly zero to do this.

I check on the illustrious 6th District. It's lily white (96%), religious, rural (almost 40%) and solidly Republican (+7 points). Despite this, Bachmann almost lost in 2012 to Jim Graves.

Again, when you are voting for the village idiot because she's your idiot, you are doing a disservice to the country. And her sound fiscal policies? I'll pull some quotes; that woman hasn't the faintest clue about macroeconomics.

Steve

Supporter
Jeff,

Your description of the 6th district is inaccurate at best. You don't live here, you don't know so you can quit acting authoritative. BTW, didn't know it was bad to be "lily white, religious, and rural". It's sad that any of those descriptive terms are considered so negative. Our founding fathers, and the strength of this country's backbone, were lily white, religious and rural. Most of the "greatest generation" were lily white, religious and rural."

The middle paragraph is indicative that the deficit was artificially deflated in 2012 by people paying taxes earlier. It's not a nonsequitur. Wow, if the deficit is dropping so fast why do we still need more Obama tax increases? Oh that's right, more spending on programs to secure more votes for the next election....

I'm happy to do a disservice to you and the left, but I doubt Bachman left enough of an imprint to do a disservice to the country no matter what her policies so you can ease up on the exaggerations.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Steve, my "description" is straight from the books. 96% white, religious, more rural than the rest of the country. And more Republican. It's not "me" that is authoritative, it's like numbers and stuff.

I've got no problem with white, religious and rural except when they send nutjobs like Bachmann to Congress, just like when rural, diverse and secular sends nutjobs to Congress I get pissed as well.

You're looped on this "taking income in 2012" stuff. Please go read the CBO projections, which show the deficit dropping significantly faster through 2016 than expected.

But the point remains. People who voted for Bachmann because "she's a nutjob but she's MY nutjob" over qualified alternatives are at the core of what is the problem with this country.

How can you believe a government projection going out to 2016 when every month the government revises their unemployment records up a week after their initial reports for over four years now?

And how does the deficit drop when trying to lower the automatic annual rise in the budget is called a "draconian" cut?

Back