Where can I buy a ultra high performance audi transmission?

Looking for a performance transmission builder that offers
pro built Audi 016 transmissions for 400hp applications.

I know this isn't an ideal situation, I want to know my options with the
transmission currently in my mid engine kit car I recently purchased.
So let's assume I'm not swapping the trans for a porsche g50 or other audi, etc.

I don't think any 016 is going to handle 400hp consistently and reliably. There's certainly some improvements that can be made but the 016 is definitely not bullet proof above 250hp like a G50/930 or ZF is past 350-400hp. I'm no expert...and there are some experts on this forum like Mr. Dewitt, but I think they'll say the same about the 016. It's just a good cheap transaxle that can be blown up and thrown away w/o major economic loss. I had six of 'em, sold two, and now I'm down to four. They can be swapped out in my GT40 in about four hours so it's pretty painless.

Good luck!

I honestly dont drive too aggressive anyway,
but I really enjoy having piece of mind and I'll pay cash to get it.
I'm open to having parts machined or custom made.
i just don't know what the weaknesses are. I have a budget of $5000 or so.

The only modification I'm aware of is this exact procedure has been done to my transmission, exactly. Maybe I can have a cnc machined aluminum gear case made.
but im sure there are other weaknesses and that alone would soak up a lot of budget.
Audi Transaxle Upgrade Step-by-Step

what else can be done?

Last edited:
Edward,

OK. The spider gears break, and the rear casing can let go. So, a limited slip and the reinforcing plate go a long way to getting the thing to handle a bit more hp/tq than it was designed for.

You might be best starting with an 01e, and then improving from there. Scott can advise. These guys also know what they're doing with an 016 -http://www.germantransaxle.com/

Good luck!

from my original post:
"So let's assume I'm not swapping the trans for a porsche g50 or other audi, etc."

the 01e is a 6 speed and the car is a 5 speed (console has a beautiful shift gate, like a Ferrari)
I really really want to keep the authentic style shifter.

since the audi 016 is already in there, i was hoping gt40 guys know some tricks or know of some hard to find aftermarket part in Europe or something... I guess nothing more than the LSD and the steel reinforcement

I have considered the mendeola MD5. It's a 5 speed and it wont obstruct the
rear suspension and frame like a Porsche trans will, due to the Porsche trans being inverted.

It's gonna cost me 12k to drop in a mendeola with fixings.

Last edited:
i think i found a 01e 5 spd that would work.
now that i discovered that you can change the shift pattern to match

1 3 5
R 2 4

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
You might contact Tornado Motorsports...IIRC they offer a "High power" Audi option to their customers, maybe they can help you.

Cheers!

Doug

First answer is you're doing it wrong. With your mentioned budget you could swap your 016 for an 01e and have a strong trans. Don't want a 6 speed? Easy - don't use 6th gear! It's just a well overdriven cruising gear anyways.
If you choose to ignore good advice, do what I did - adapt a Porsche 944 S2 or turbo trans ( same, but different diff ratio) to your Audi 016. Search my thread for how this is done. Mine has lasted for over a year of competition events with a 380rwhp 347 that is driven to the limit. Search YouTube for 200mph gt40 to see what my trans puts up with! It also has quaife ATB plus case reinforcement plate.
But don't do what I did...not worth it.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
For street and occasional track excursions the 016 is fine. The problem is that people pull well worn boxes from the wrecking yard and put them behind V8s thinking they'll win Lemans. Fact of the matter is the main shaft bearings wear and cause enough slop that failure is inevitable. Cracked center sections are proof of this. You'll see posts about steel reinforcement plates to compensate for this. Bottom line is that if you put a crap box behind your bullet it will fail. Then there is the gear ratio issue. No suitable ratios for street or track without going custom. I bought a prototype 3.22 box with Quaife LSD 5 years ago and love it. It sits behind 465hp / 455 tq and has survived my heavy foot on road and track. I purchased it for 1/3 of a prepped ZF/ZFQ barring the $8k in development money that was put into it by someone that got screwed in the old RF fiasco. (Not to be confused with the current RF.)
An 016 is a viable budget option when prepared properly. If you want bullet proof step up to a ZF/ZFQ/Quaife.

These guys did the development on the 016. Home - German Transaxle of America
They know their stuff and are a good resource if you want to go down this route.

Dumping $5,000 into an 016 is a waste of money. Most all internal parts are Not available new, strip a first gear and you have to start over. If you must have an 016 then I'd look at a 951 porsche box they are perhaps the strongest box available, but even those fail behind 400hp 4 cylinder cars.

The 01E can handle approx 50% more torque out of the box than the 016 and with custom internal parts (straight cut gears etc) can handle over 100% the torque of an 016. The only failure that I know of an 01E due to too much torque, resulted from dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm behind an 900 ft/lbs supercharged 5.4 liter engine, the diff blew up and split the case in 2 pieces but it was repaired.

One of the best things about an 01E is that it will use the same engine adapter as the 016, and it's dimensions are very similar, I've helped several people dumping the 016 in favor of the 01E.

Back