Where is A/C thermostat

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Does anyone know where the SPF A/C thermostat is located and if it is adjustable (looks as though it is from schematic); also assuming the thermostat is adjustable is it a rotary knob and is temp decrease achieved by CCW or CW rotation?

I understand that the SPF A/C system was designed to produce 40F (I'm reading 50F) at the dash outlets when toll windows closed, recirc switch in off (not recirc) and with engine at 2,000RPM's...When temp reaches 40F the thermostat should open and power to the A/C compressor clutch is removed idleing the compressor untill thermostat senses something over 40 and the cycle repeats ect...

Thanks, Steve

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Steve, I just finished a 845 mile journey in my car, 625 of it in one day so I had plenty of time to fool around in the car while on the freeway. I took an IR temperature gun and shot everything inside to find the source of the heat. I had 48 degrees (outside temp was 91) coming out of the vent on high and 45 on low speed. 96 in the foot well and 96 on the engine firewall. I messed with all the dials for the AC unit and only had results on the one which directs air from your feet to the dash. The Temp control and the defrost control do nothing. I will say that I have had the AC unit off and may have put a couple wires back-wards but never less this was my results. Where did you get that info on the A/C system?

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jack,

My info above from factory source.

Thermostat I am ref to is not one of the door mounted controls ; I find that it is under the faux oil cover. It is used for initial system set up.

Door controls should work as follows:

A/C switch controls power to the compressor clutch. The path is from switch through thermotat, and pressure switch to relay coil for clutch and brakes or makes power to the clutch as temp at the thermostat when temp gets to or rises from designed 40F when the thermostat is properly set.

Recirc switch contols 2 relays to the recirc servo controlling damper that admits or closes off air from NACA ducting. (from your previous post on this you need to swap your leads at the servo that is mounted under the faux oil tank )

Left most dial is temp (rotate to left for cool and rt for heat); signal sent to servo regulating the ammount of hot water to the heater core only; so should be to max left unless want heat and if to right will fight the A/C

The two remaining dials control air..One is demist and in my car closes off air to dash and footwell directing to windshield; the other allos dash, footwell or mixing. Both of these controls work as dessigned and if don't on your car you may have a lead disconnected on the control or at the servos.

Steve

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Steve, again thank you, I was going off this crude drawing.

Attachments

• gt40manual.pdf
    222.2 KB · Views: 227

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jack,

I have by now a pretty good understanding of the elex system and corrections if you need

Steve

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Steve I wish you were a little closer we could compare notes with the cars side by side. The only issues I have had was with the heater AC system, seems none of the controls worked except the floor to dash and the AC system. If I recall there were only two connections for electrical devices going to the unit. When it gets cold I guess the heater (if necessary) is next.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jack,

The 3 rotary door controls are directly connected to their respective servo motors allowing variable control of :dash to floor, demist (top of dash outlets), and heater valve (water flow control). All of these servos are mounted to the evaporator box or heater/blower box (eg the heater valve is under the heater box accessible from passenger footwell).

The "recirc" alternate action push button switch controls a dual set of relays set to open or close the recirc damper located on top of the evaporator box under the faux oil tank.

A/C on off push button operates as per my post above.

Steve

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Steve please review the pictures and tell me what is correct and not on the AC heater controls. If you like these plastic covers I will laser a set out for you and put them in the mail for free.

Attachments

• IMG_9171.jpg
    IMG_9171.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_9172.jpg
    IMG_9172.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 240

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Jack,

My rotary dials are in different positions and seem to operate differently than how yours are labled.

My left dial is TEMP (like yours left cold/rt hot), next dial to the right is FLOOR /DASH and mine is like yours floor left and dash rt, Dial to right is DEMIST and mine operates open to left and closed to rt. All of my dials are min/max not on/off.

Thanks for the lable offer but, some time ago Lynn sent me a set of engraved lables that I'm using (yours are nice as well)

Steve

PS...
Earlier post re thermost adjust. On my car the thermostat doesn't have an adjustment dial/shaft. I'm exploring how adjustment is achieved and will report. There are two wires (PU/W and PK) going to 2 of the 4 male quick connect terminals on the thermostat that is mounted on the passenger side of the evaporator exposed through the faux oil tank , the other terminals are unused but, may be for set up? If anyone knows please advise but, if I find out first I'll post.

Back