Which shock absorbers

Hi all,

Just after some guidance as to which shocks are best for my SouthernGT, budget is key so Koni's are out but what are good alternatives? So far I have found AVO's and Gaz Golds via google but really know nothing about shocks so dont know which would be best? And I'm sure there are other possibly better or or better value alternatives? Just need pointing in the right direction...

:thumbsup:

Paul

Hi all,

Just after some guidance as to which shocks are best for my SouthernGT, budget is key so Koni's are out but what are good alternatives? So far I have found AVO's and Gaz Golds via google but really know nothing about shocks so dont know which would be best? And I'm sure there are other possibly better or or better value alternatives? Just need pointing in the right direction...

:thumbsup:

Paul
Hi Paul, just fitted 4 Spax shocks on my CAV mono GT40, part #G66Ap, all 4 corners take the same shocks, I bought them from Motorsport Tuning in Finmere, Bucks, there email is: sales@motorsport_-_tuning.co.uk these are listed for a GT40 and seem to work very well , hope this works for you, all the best, Neville Nesbitt.

Hi Paul, just fitted 4 Spax shocks on my CAV mono GT40, part #G66Ap, all 4 corners take the same shocks, I bought them from Motorsport Tuning in Finmere, Bucks, there email is: sales@motorsport_-_tuning.co.uk these are listed for a GT40 and seem to work very well , hope this works for you, all the best, Neville Nesbitt.

Hi Neville, any idea how much the SPAX cost? I think I need to do the same as you and I'm just trying to decide if SPAX or KONI is the way to go. Thanks.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
If you get them over thar, I've had great results with QA1 two way adjustable shocks. they have a good line of springs as wells.

Tim

Great response thanks everyone.

I shall be looking into the Protech, Gaz and AVO I think to compare product and price, I have been advised that the Spax aren't best for my chassis by SGT so will cross them off the list and the QA1's don't look to be available here?

plenty to look at anyway :thumbsup: they do all seem to be in a similar price range but does anyone feel there is one that is reputed to better than another or are they all the same performance wise?

Chassis arrives three weeks today, very excited...

Cheers

Paul

Hi Neville, any idea how much the SPAX cost? I think I need to do the same as you and I'm just trying to decide if SPAX or KONI is the way to go. Thanks.
Hi Cliff, sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, things have been hectic here. I ordered 2 Spax last June and they were 121.00 Brtish pounds each plus 50.00 British pounds for shipping ,I think for the money they are very good, I know konis are going to be a lot more money, I am very happy with the spax, they are gas/oil and fully adjustable. At some point i want to talk to you about Audi Trans in my car, all the best, Neville nesbitt.:thumbsup: P.S. Spax part # for CAV GT40 is: G66AP all 4 corners, hope this helps.

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Tim,

As my GTD40 might be similar to your tornado?, I'd like to look into QA1 for replacement. Could you please let me know the part number of the shocks and springs if available? Your use is for road and some track days? If so, might suit my requirement.

Thanks and Regards
If you get them over thar, I've had great results with QA1 two way adjustable shocks. they have a good line of springs as wells.

Tim

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Tim,

Thanks for the info. Will look into those as my shocks are still original Spax and might need to be replaced for better ride?!

Regards

Yuji,

I've had good luck with these shocks due to the adjustability. they can be set up for street and track but you may want to have a separate set of springs for each.

These are my part # DDR3955P and DDR5855P (2008, appears they have changed now)

Proma Star Double Adjustable Shocks | Custom Mount Coil-Over Shock Absorbers | QA1 Suspension

Also, I had to buy a cone shaped upper spring seat to obtain clearance. Spring rate is 350 rr & 450 frt

Back