Why G50 r+p is not flippable?

Look at this picture of a G50. It looks like there's plenty of room to flip the r+p to the other side, so I don't understand why. Please enlighten me.

G50Diffverwijderen005.jpg

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
It's not the amount of room, it's because it's a hypoid r & p. The tooth angles will not match up.

You could potentially run G50 with a different custom made ring and pinion, but why?

Invertion is a much easier and less expensive way to go.

Just my .02 cents on this.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work

Not to my knowledge yet, as the cost would be very prohibitive (around 5K for a one off ring and pinion) When you consider that these gearboxes, if done correctly, will run very reliably inverted, the cost just is not worth it.

More then happy to help you with this though if you want to be the first.

Have a great holiday.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales

Chris Duncan

Supporter
I don't think there is room inside the case to flip.

Also the heights on the input shaft and axles is better with it flipped. Puts the Ford V8 as low as possible, not so when it's "right" side up.

For ****s sake, if the pinion is 16mm below the CW centerline then it cannot be flipped- period. & even if you get a reverse cut crownwheel & pinion set made the crownwheel would have to be reduced in dia to clear the casting relief area around the input shaft seal & clutch release fork.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
For ****s sake, if the pinion is 16mm below the CW centerline then it cannot be flipped- period. & even if you get a reverse cut crownwheel & pinion set made the crownwheel would have to be reduced in dia to clear the casting relief area around the input shaft seal & clutch release fork.

Who says ? :lipsrsealed: :laugh:

You a bit tetchy today Jac Mac ! I thought you learnt to suffer fools gladly years ago!

You cannot flip a Hypoid ring gear because of the design. If you flip it the pinion needs to be at the same relationship as it was before you flipped it. You would need to move the pinion to the other side of the ring gear centerline for the teeth to mate. Unless you cut new gears.

You can flip a spiral bevel gear set because the pinion is on the centerline of the ring gear.

Back