Wilwood Front Brakes

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Yuji, thanks.
I see that Hispec have expanded their range and now have a number of Granada / GT40 specific offerings. I bought Hispec rear brakes for the built in handbrake, but to get the brake balance needed I went for Wilwoods at the front. At the time I made my choices, hispec didnt offer these kits and I had to specify dimensions for them.

Just received my front brackets and will post pictures soon.

Dave

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Simon,

Glad to hear you were pleased with the Hi Spec conversion kit. I'm looking for the kit to replace standard Granada brake to fit 15" wheel. So Hi Spec might be the good choice?
Personally, I prefer AP Racing as I'm satisfied with the conversion kit for my BMW M3, but no kit available to fit GTD??

Thanks

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Simon,

Looks really nice brake. But your rotor is two piece. The kit from Hi Spec for 15" wheel is one piece rotor. Your one is for larger wheels?

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Here are pictures from my first fit.
Yuji, like Simon, I was really pleased with my Hispec (rear) brakes too, at the time they didnt offer a kit so I specified the bracket dimensions and they adapted their existing bracket design for me.

The Wilwood front discs are 310mm dia x 32mm. They fit fine 10mm+ clearance inside my 15" 3 piece wheels.

The only small difficulty I had was fouling of the caliper bracket on the bottom suspension arm at full droop full lock, cured by grinding a notch in the end of the bracket. If I was to do it over, I would skew the bracket to lift the caliper 30mm or so.

Dave

Attachments

• Picture 001w.jpg
    Picture 001w.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 507
  • Picture 004w.jpg
    Picture 004w.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 576
  • Picture 006w.jpg
    Picture 006w.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
310mm disks into 15" wheel? Must be pretty nice view w/o wide space between disks and wheel.
Thanks Dave for the info. Will reseach a bit more for brake upgrade.

Regards

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Yuji,
With spun or fabricated rims for 3 piece wheels, the wall thickness is only about 2.5mm so the internal radius is larger than for a cast wheel. This allows a maximum disc size of 310mm, which leaves about 6mm radial clearance between the Wilwood caliper to wheel inner surface. My 15" 3 piece wheel has an internal diameter of 365mm.
You have to be sure of your own dimensions or it will be safer to stay with a 295 or 300 diameter.

Dave

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
Dave,

Thanks for further information. Will check the internal size of the wheel so that I could determine the size of the disks!

Thanks again for the detail!
Regards

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Wilwood 1/8 27 NPT taper / straight fitting

Guys, a technical question on NPT taper fittings as for Wilwood Superlite

background:- I ordered Euroquip -3 brake pipes from Rally Design with 600 series fittings RD1538 for the Superlite Caliper. On their web site the item picture shows what is clearly a taper fitting. However, what I received is different, clearly a parallel fitting designed for a copper ring seal. It does enter the caliper, has 27tpi, so I presume that it is NPT parallel. When I phoned, their response was that they had supplied correctly, and were in denial when I pointed out that it was not a taper fitting as displayed on their web site. I can send them back of course, but they do not have an alternative, which leads to my question;

question:- Is it ok to use a male NPT parallel thread with a female NPT taper thread on a Wilwood caliper?

regards

Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Is a parallel fitting ok in a Wilwood 1/8 - 27 taper connection?

Wilwood 1/8 27 NPT taper / straight fitting
Guys, a technical question on NPT taper fittings as for Wilwood Superlite

This time with a link to the item on the site
Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design

and below, a picture of the fitting received.

background:- I ordered Euroquip -3 brake pipes from Rally Design with 600 series fittings RD1538 for the Superlite Caliper. On their web site the item picture shows what is clearly a taper fitting. However, what I received is different, clearly a parallel fitting designed for a copper ring seal. It does enter the caliper, has 27tpi, so I presume that it is NPT parallel. When I phoned, their response was that they had supplied correctly, and were in denial when I pointed out that it was not a taper fitting as displayed on their web site. I can send them back of course, but they do not have an alternative, which leads to my question;

question:- Is it ok to use a male NPT parallel thread with a female NPT taper thread on a Wilwood caliper?

regards

Dave

Attachments

• fitting.jpg
    fitting.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 378
Re: Is a parallel fitting ok in a Wilwood 1/8 - 27 taper connection?

Dave,
I have the Powerlite Handbrake calipers and they use a tapered 27TPI thread on it. I'll double check tomorrow for you, once I recovered from going out tonight.

Brett

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Thanks Brett,

does anyone know who makes these euroquip fittings? I have been searching the net to find a catalogue so that I can determine the correct manufacturers part number, but so far I have been unable to trace them.

Dave

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Good site Ian, I hadn't seen that one before
their stuff is very similar but is called 'Aeroquip', the rally design stuff is called 'Euroquip' - thats marketing for you. Anyway, I 'half' solved my problem; when I dipped in the bag of bits for the next piece, lo and behold, the second part was correct (I know, I should have looked before), so they have sent me one taper and one straight by mistake. I can resolve this on tuesday.

Yes I do need to get the Dax back on the road :eek:and I am trying very very hard :dead: but I will get there soon as the brakes is the only major issue, then there will be :D and :pepper: and everything will be rockonsmile.

Dave

Sorry to ressurrect this thread, but I have just ordered Wilwood Midilites from Rally Design. did you get a 1/8 NPT to 10mm metric female adapter? The one they sent me is 1/8NPT to 10mm male (i.e. male-male fitting), just wondered if the male-female was available?

Also did you you have any issues with M10 bolts mounting the caliper to the brackets? The bolts they have supplied (M10) do not fit, they say this is because the wilwoods are imperial and so use a 3/8" hole (approx 9.5mm), and have suggested I use a 10mm drill to enlarge. unsurprisingly I am reluctant to do this to a brand new set of calipers... They said they checked a shorter M10 bolt and that fitted so may be down to tolerances of the bolt supplier.

Cheers
Jono

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Jono, I used the male-male adapter.

Yes I noted that the 10mm bolts are rather tight. I found that if I inspected the bolts carefully, dressed any small bruises and nicks on the shank, and kept everything clean and oiled, they did go in without hassle. Up to that point I was considering taking them to an engineering shop to get them reamed, but they ended up ok.
Consider that if the bolt fits perfectly with no residual clearance in the hole, the pitch of the holes in the bracket has to perfectly match the pitch of the holes in the caliper. With no clearance for the bolt to move in, the bolts can not move to accommodate any mismatch, so even if the bolts drop in the caliper hole, they still may not engage the bracket. Also if the bolt is not perfectly straight. In these cases you will have to get the holes reamed out.
From an engineering point of view, this is all a bit naff, and really they should supply the right bolts and brackets, or get the calipers bought in with a 10mm clearance hole instead of leaving problems for the customer to sort.

regards
Dave

Thanks Dave. They will screw in on mine, but very difficult to remove again once onto unthreaded shank. I might just run through with 3/8" drill as I think some of the problem may be the thickness of the anodised coating.
Cheers
Jono

Back