Wondering about the evolution and placement of the wiper motor?

What wiper motor did they use in the early cars? Was it still the 6WA?

Where was it located when the spare wheel was fitted in the nose, ie P103 during Daytona in 1964?

When did it move to the location in the spare wheel recess?

Did they use a 2 speed version of the 6WA? The DR series of motors available in the 50s were available as 2 speed?

Which cars got the Boeing 707 type Alcoa made motor and converter box? Were they 24V or 12V. I believe the 707 would have been a 24V aircraft.

In the MK II, when they fitted the dry sump tank, where was the motor located. I have looked at the photos of P1016 and can’t seem to work it out.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The MK II and MK IV used the Boeing motor, a 24V unit running on 12V so it was turning slower than it does on an aircraft where the cycle rate is very fast.

Thanks Rick, the MK IV is easy to see as it’s a direct coupled motor and converter unit that pokes out from under the screen. Wondering where the MK II mounted the motor?

Been googling images again this morning and located this one that I hadn’t seen. Not sure which chassis it is

The 6WA wiper motor fitted was unique to the race GT40 and had a single high speed. Road cars had a 2 speed unit. Before it moved to the spare wheel recess it was mounted under the windscreen scuttle inboard of the left hand fuel fller.

As for when it moved to the spare wheel recess, you will have to wait for the new book that John Allen and myself are currently working on.

Regards,

Graham.

SAE papers for the MKll show the mechanism. And as Graham mentioned, the motor on the MKl was located in the left scuttle/cowl area. Presumably, but I am not certain that this location was maintained on the MKll as well?...

Attachments

• 20200216_125939.jpg
    20200216_125939.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 614
  • 20200216_144747.jpg
    20200216_144747.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 572
SAE papers for the MKll show the mechanism. And as Graham mentioned, the motor on the MKl was located in the left scuttle/cowl area. Presumably, but I am not certain that this location was maintained on the MKll as well?...

Thanks @carnut75

The attachment ending in 939 shows the Boeing 707 wiper that was presumably used on the MK II race cars. Note that the wiper arm contains attachments and adjustments that are similar to those found on aircraft.

I presume that attachment ending 747 is a road car and the dome in the scuttle cover would be where the 6WA motor would be located and the dome coincides with the location of the dome where the park switch is located? I had wondered what that dome was for. Note that the wiper arm on this car looks like a chrome Lucas production unit.

Ryan

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
We have fitted the MkII wiper motor and gear box to both of out MkI cars for reliability. Wiring to the 24V Cannon socket was no problem.
A similar wiper arm and blade were also used on the Bell Huey helicopter. It is a heavy looking piece of engineering so to be consistent with the MkI look we have fitted original Trico stainless wiper arms and the rare plastic wiper blades which we are copying from originals.
Spare blades for these are also sparse but we managed to locate a few.
The "Trico" wiper arm spline to the "Alcoa" gearbox rotor are different diameters so we had to make these.
I suppose we can easily change out the lightweight road wiper arm for the heavier kit if Alistair want to race in the rain.

Original MkII Wiper.jpg
BELL WIPER.jpg
MKII Wiper System.jpg
image70010875.jpg

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
and

Has the Boeing parts guide in one and pictures as they come out of the planes on the other.

Ian

@JIMMYMAC thanks for the pictures of the wiper arms. Great stuff. Does the aircraft one allow you to set the angle of the blade relative to the arm as you bolt it on?

the other Trico/Lucas looking one seems to have about a 15° bend in it. Would that be correct?
While I would like my car to be as original as possible I am also keeping one eye on the rego requirements, so am looking to see what sweep coverage and areas I need to achieve.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Ryan

Yes to both questions.

Your sweep is determined by your wiper motor. The Lucas 6WA unit is delivered with either a 110 or 120 degree sweep.
The Alco converter unit is also 120 degrees.
We chose the MkII motor and converter because they are obviously better built but more importantly weatherproof, there is no decent sealing on the Lucas motor housing unless you dismantle and goop it up yourself. Lucas never heard of IP65 ! :D

Here is a photo of the dry gear assembly in my wiper converter. (lovely bearing races and an Irish mile better than the plastic gear and stamped armature in the Lucas unit)
120 deg. Gear Cluster - Boeing wiper converter.jpg

Is the vertical panel you sometimes see on the front clip, in front of the driver, have anything to do with the wiper?

Thanks @JIMMYMAC. I have been hunting though the Lucas catalogs and parts the last few weeks. I think I am ok with how that set up all works.
If you opt for a later motor you can get different wheels again in the main motor.
there also looks to be a few different options on the wheel boxes, so you can get different sweeps on the arm by changing the wheel boxes as well. or even two different sweeps on different arms if you have a multiple arm set up.

A smaller wheel in the wheel box would result in more sweep.

Back