Woody's new project

Iv'e been tossing the Idea of trading up the transaxle. With a possible sale on my G50/01 and my hands on a 996 GT3 trans things are looking good.
Just a minor problem of paying for the 996.
So while Im saving my pennies Iv'e started on the drivers cockpit.
Its trickier than I imagined to get the seat, peddles, the steering colum and gauges all in the right place. I started with the seat then fabricated the peddles then I must have made 10 different brackets for the cloum then shifted the seat. Made cardboard gauges to see how the layout works, or not as the case maybe.:furious: Then shifted the peddles and the seat
Now I can see out the windscreen. I'm just glad theres a fridge in the garage :shy:

Attachments

• IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_2197.jpg
    IMG_2197.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 669
Hi KB
The sides are lazer cut from 3mm stainless steel and the pad is 6mm stainless from a 50 x 6 flat bar. I drilled the blind holes in one lenght of about 500mm and then rolled the flat bat till the radii looked about right and sawed the pads off. Really simple and efective.

Its been a while with little progress on the 40 because another project got in the way. My partner wanted a new kitchen and well, the garage is never big enough so we decided to build a new house. With much grovelling and begging the bank gave us the go ahead. 6 months on and the lady loves the house and the 40 loves the garage

Attachments

• IMG_2313-1.jpg
    IMG_2313-1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 608
  • New House 015.jpg
    New House 015.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 553
  • New House 004.jpg
    New House 004.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 548
So its on with the build. I purchased a new trans in the winter a 2004 Porsche 996 GT3 6 speed. How many people have heard this story
"low km's 1 carefull lady owner" oh and it may have been dropped it has a crack in it!! I was silly enough and inquisitive enough to take a look.
The price was to good to be true so I took a punt. Yip she's been dropped alright
sideways into an armco at about 160 km/hr.
So I learn yet again " if its to good to be true it probably is"
The case needed lots of welding and stress relieving and remachining
New bearings and new input shaft.
On the up side this box seems a lot beefier than the G50 the internals ( crownwheel and pinion) look twice as strong it has tripple syncro 1st and 2nd and steel on the rest and an internal oil pump and cooler. And came with a cable shifter.
Has anyone used one of these transmissions before? It would be good to get some feed back Pro's and Con's
Woody

Attachments

• IMG_2317.jpg
    IMG_2317.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_2318.jpg
    IMG_2318.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 538
Woody

here you have a G96 in an RCR. it fits nicely and is even shorter than a G50 because of the side shift.
PICT3997.jpg

PICT3998.jpg

With the 9" R&P it is very stout. The GT3 version is a little short geared for a V8 engine
( The p car is turning 8300 and more). So i think the turbo version is better suited. it is a AWD version, but it is a snap to modify this. Shifting will be smooth and quick with this syncro system and gearbox design. THe advantage of the 6 speed is there, although one doesn´t realy need it with a torque V8. But it gives you a nice short first for city traffic and competitive closely spaced 2nd to 6th for track usage. The good thing is they are used in each of the turbo´s since the 996 is out and not so rare as the G50 turbo variants.

With the 9" R&P the dimension of the mounting surface to the centerline of the drifeshafts are about 3/4" more than on a G 50. THis would allow you to move your engine this much more forward ( if your firewall allows it) and still keep the squared driveshaft angle ( viewed from the top).

All the G50 clutch components fit ( see my clutch post in my built log). One can build a clutch from mild ( 550NM organic torsion dampened) to wild (1050 NM sinter fixed, with extra heavy duty pressureplate) with all of the shelf parts from Sachs.

Find attached a gearing chart for the GT3 and turbo box

nice shifters readily avaliable as well

porsche-996-997-race-schaltung-4.jpg

TOM

Attachments

• GearSpeedCalculatorgt3vsturbo.xls
    56.5 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
Hi Tom
Thanks for the pic's and the info. I dummy fitted My G96 and it is longer than the G50/01. I'm in a pickle because I either cut the back off the car or go to another type of intake manifold I have milled the back mount off and trimed up as much as possible but the internal oil feed line comes out from the back which leaves me about 70mm or a tickle under 3" longer. I have had trouble identifying the trans as all the numbers aren't clear, I think it is a G96/96. It is 740mm long or 29 1/8".
How long is the G96 in that RCR car?
Cheers
Woody

Made slow but steady progress through the winter between the house and the car.
I've mounted the peddles and cylinders fitted the steering shaft and modifyied a u-joint to suit the rack. Now the steering is complete.
Made up and Fitted heavy wall stainless coolant pipes through the tunnel
and puchased a Mezerie 55 GPM remote water pump which is mounted up by the radiator. Now the engine can come forward a few inches.
Mounted a new radiator from DRB and the cooling system is also complete

Attachments

• IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 418
Good going Pete, great to see more progress. Glad to see your keeping your wife happy with the new home, allows you more time on the 40.

You should have some spare credit points there. Most car projects only involve a new kitchen! The car is looking good. Hope you are not located down south near Christchurch.

Thanks Guys
Dalton, Im in the north Island and all is good up here. I do feel for the folk in Christchurch its been horrific. My son was working down there as a tiler after the fist quake. He had been working in a building for 8 weeks only to have it come crumbling down in Febuary, Thank God they weren't in it at the time. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those in Christchurch

Making progress but very slowly. I've pieced to gether most of the engine bits now and have dummyed it up for fit. Hope to have it together over the x-mas break.
Made up all the brake and clutch lines and fitted them. Now the colum is in, I was able to fit all the gauges to the dash. I wanted something a little different so I made a horn button from alloy bar. Turned it to the size of the momo button had the machine shop engarve the ends on the milling center then black anodize it. Then re turn the radius ends. Worked out a treat. Its enjoyable making components but it sure takes a lot of time.

Attachments

• IMG_2333.jpg
    IMG_2333.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_2693.jpg
    IMG_2693.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 422
Hi Guys

Fontana alloy block, Wilson electronic fuel injection CHI power pac heads and dry sumped. I'll be disapointed if it does any more than 5 miles to the gallon. With no emissions to worry about here in Kiwi land its all road legal.

Hi there Woody, I do not wish to rain on your parade but yes we do have emission standards for low volume vehicles in NZ.

Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association Inc. ::: Documents

Have a look at the( Exhaust Gas Emissions 90-10) standard. At the above link. It might also pay to have a look at the Exhaust noise standard as well. You may find that you need Cats as well as good silencers.

Have a talk to the certifier you plan to use for the certification at an early stage as it might save you a lot of heartache in the long term. What part of NZ are you in?

Hi Tim
Thanks for your concern, but there are no worries here. I'm in Pukekohe and we have two certifiers and a very strong hot-roding association in this area. Both of which have said there are no requirements for cat's at present nor in the near future for a low volume vehicle.
On the link you sent me , if you read pages 7-8 it lists all the exemptions for catalytic converters.
However there is a stipulation on noise. I recently went with a mate to cert his big block 32 roadster, the certifier stood behind it and said "yip it sounds good to me" Iv'e never seen them use a decibel meter.There is an emission law but it's not inforced, so long as it's tuned properly it will pass.
With elections coming up it looks like the present government will stay, which means the changes the greenies wanted in concern with emissions for 2012 will be pushed out even further.
Lets hope we all get time to play with our toys before then.
Were are you from Tim. It would be good to know if the certifiers in different areas have different views.
Woody

Hi Guys
Iv'e been plugging away slowly. After reading Toms waterpump theory I decided to change the cooling system closer to the system Mike Trusty posted. Like the attached sketch. It wasn't a big change now but hopefully save some headaches later I found a used waterpump and striped out the impellor, machined out the back and welded in a blanking plug. This will act as a manifold on the engine. and fitted a BMW 318i bypass themostat and ran 2 hoses from the expansion tank, one back to the front of the pump and a bleed line from the radiator. I borowed a neat little tool my friend had made and swaged the ends of all the pipes. A few mods to the expansion tank and now the cooling system is done.
Thanks again to Mike Trusty, Tom ,Jack and Kirby for your imput.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC00056.JPG
    DSC00056.JPG
    541.8 KB · Views: 394

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Nice job on the cooling system, you are well ahead of me on the execution of that design, but it's basically the same design I am planning on using. Will have to stay in touch with this thread to see how well it works! :thumbsup:

GT-Forty.com

Finally time for the engine build
Its taken a while to gather all the bits but now it's the fun part.
I couldn't find a sump to fit in the car so a donor sump was chopped up and a new bottom rolled. A crank scrapper formed from cardboard made a good template.and the pipe work and fittings welded in. a quick beadblast, really good wash and a coat of paint. first step complete.

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2483.jpg
    IMG_2483.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_2541.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2600.jpg
    IMG_2600.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 354
The block had a new sleeve fitted and was decked, align honed and new cam bearings fitted. The crank was crack tested and polished, all the bearing clearances checked.
The pistons were ceramic coated and the block finished honed to suit.
The short block is assembled and the roller cam dailed in. This engine originaly had a gear set but I've reverted to a Rollmaster chain set. These have a torrington thrust bearing and are brilliant for street and mild track use.

Attachments

• IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_2523.jpg
    IMG_2523.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_2525.jpg
    IMG_2525.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_2527.jpg
    IMG_2527.jpg