Would this hurt RCR?

Well, I just heard that there is a Superformance Dealer opening in the town I grew up in, where I lived until 2.5 years ago, Allen Park, Michigan. The building will be 3 blocks away from where I lived.

Allen Park borders Dearborn, hello Ford and a lot other companies that are in the area. Allen Park has some Ford buildings as well.

Will this hurt RCR at all?

Just weird to think of a dealership in AP and the street where they are opening up, if it is true.

Matthew

Why would it.??..they are not selling my products and Detroit is having a tough time selling OEM cars at present ...nevermind higher priced niche vehicles.

Besides buying a truly "Made in America"...infact even better a "Manufactured in Detroit" ...product still actually matters to many potential Detroit customers....(which are few and far between ..I can tell you)

I wish them well and good luck with their new venture.....

Last edited:
Why would it.??..they are not selling my products and Detroit is having a tough time selling OEM cars at present ...nevermind higher priced niche vehicles.

Besides buying a truly "Made in America"...infact even better a "Manufactured in Detroit" ...product still actually matters to many potential Detroit customers....(which are few and far between ..I can tell you)

I wish them well and good luck with their new venture.....

Why would it? Not sure that it would at all, hope it wouldn’t for all the reasons you stated above and others. Probably the why is there seems to be a lot of people that don’t care about the reasons as you stated above (Made in America and Detroit for that Matter) and also just buy without researching. However, I can tell you that it is one of the reasons why RCR will most likely be my next….one day :laugh:

I would be very careful in my selection of a Superformance dealer. The cars are great, and they do carry some clout on the market. But they still require a ton of finish/fabrication - they are not turnkey by any stretch, and it takes a good "dealer" to do this right. Around these parts, Dennis Olthoff is the only one I would consider.

When I first sat in a Superformance GT40 replica (rolling chassis, Gulf colors, on display at a car show in Richmond) I was very impressed. So I asked a lot of questions of the salesman about concerns. When I mentioned that I loved the GT40 but I was not a huge fan of the side fuel tanks his response was "Superformance changed the design for safety. The fuel tanks is in the front there in the center. There is nothing in those side pods". He had no idea what he was selling, none whatsoever.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Will this hurt RCR at all?
It might actually help.... When I was first seriously exposed to the world of GT40 replicas it was via CAV & ERA (which I had already heard of) and then Superformance. It was only later (via this forum) that I ran into RCR.

And when I ran into RCR I was absolutely stunned by what was being offered. Ferrari 330P4?!! GT40 MK IV??? Porsche 917 ???? And then the SLC........It all makes the Superformance lineup seem a bit tame....

If anyone does there homework they will learn that RCR builds one of the best products on the market. Along with being an American local company and the respect that customers have for Fran and his crew is the only reason I need to choose RCR for my future build.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
When I mentioned that I loved the GT40 but I was not a huge fan of the side fuel tanks his response was "Superformance changed the design for safety. The fuel tanks is in the front there in the center. There is nothing in those side pods". He had no idea what he was selling, none whatsoever.

And that is what sets some dealers apart. Some do not hire "salespeople" but rather have enthusiasts who happen to sell! There is a difference in dealers just as there is in product.

And as I have said previously, there is no "wrong" choice of GT...what you like and what you can afford should dictate your choice. Some are looking for the original DNA, for others the look alone is the trigger point (sort of explains the Fiero based "MK IIs" of some years back.)

My suggestion is that if the dealer you are talking to does not give you a "warm fuzzy", move on.

And Dennis Olthoff is one of the leading experts on the car and the setup/finishing of the chassis. Dennis is no longer a dealer so that he can do the installs without crossing the legal lines regarding component vehicles. Dennis has done installs for my dealership and in fact did the finish on the first SPF MK II "FIA" prototype for us when it arrived stateside.

In Australia we only have limited manufacturing locally (Ford, GM Holden, Toyota) and for other cars I sometimes look at the Internet, re the factory product in Japan, Korea, China, or wherever.. I wanted a particular feature on a 4x4 I was interested in, and asked the salesman was it possible? Oh no, he said, there were all these reasons why they didn't do that, and you couldn't. That's funny, I said, because it is an option available on this vehicle in Japan. He just didn't have a good knowledge of his product, but instead of acknowledging that preferred to rubbish the customer.

Always give business to the person who is sincere, knowledgeable, and treats you with some respect rather than insulting your intelligence. I imagine Fran and his workers will be in business for as long as they want.

[snip]

[snip]

It means a lot more to me than I ever thought it would.

-- Paul

American/Michigan built is a very important factor because it is the only way my wife will agree to let me do a build.

After being a former Ferrari owner and the B.S I put her through when dealing with repairs and dealership rules I was lucky to get her blessing. I am just glad she is a fan and former owner of early American made muscle cars. Now I just have to wait for all my retirement payouts the downside is I get a portion of the payout each year for the next 3 years. I just hope RCR does not go anywhere because it helps that the money will be staying in Michigan.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I just noticed this thread..I do not have either an RCR or SPF car as you all know, but Dennis Olthoff has been very helpful to me recently in the way of parts for my DB/Safir car. I don't know any of the other SPF dealers, but Dennis could not be more helpful and I think has saved us considerable time and effort, bless him.

The Superformance Dealership has been relocated to 47451 Avante Dr. in Wixom. Contact Todd Andrews,(Superformance V.P.) at 734-306-3402 for further details.

No, I am not affiliated with Superformance, just a former car owner.

Back