would this work?

Would this set up work? I'm new to this fourm, do not know if it's been looked at.
Thanks, Coleman

SR8 Transimission

Powertec-Quaife six-speed sequential transaxle
l_0003.jpg

radical

spdl%20logo%20redu.jpg

Powertrain Design Consultants

Radical Sportscars Powertec RPA V8 engine

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">RPA V8 engine - to power Radical SR8 sports prototype road & race cars. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">2,6 litre V8 - 360 bhp, 10500rpm with 6 speed sequential transaxle transmission. <LI class=MsoNormal style="mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">2,0 litre, 2,5 litre & 3,0 litre variants are now available.
  • 88 kg mass basic engine.
  • Steve Prentice Design Limited have designed this engine for Radical Sportscars & their in-house engine builder Powertec. It is used in the Radical SR8 sportscar & is also available to purchase as engine only at exceptional good value per horsepower.
The RPA engine uses cylinder heads from Suzuki GSXR1300 motorcycle, the rest of the engine & transmission has been purpose designed for this project. Steve Prentice & Radical have worked closely with Quaife to design the sequential 6 speed transmission, Hewland have also produced a transaxle transmission to suit this engine.

assy%20v8%20internals%20web.jpg

Design started in December 2003, the first engine ran on dyno in September 2004. The RPA engine was launched in USA at Performance Racing Industry show, Indianapolis on 9 - 11 December 2004 and in UK at Autosport International, NEC Birmingham on 13 - 16 January 2005.
It won its first race in UK & USA and has gone on to win most of the events it has competed in, setting outright fastest laps at Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park & Nurburgring Nordschleife.

Check out these links to Radical, Powertec, Quaife, Autosport , PRI

Back to Index ......... Recent work ........ Beginners guide to design ........ Rogues gallery ........ Design for casting

Radical West
(775) 537-6600​

2.6 litre 380bhp RPA Macroblock V8​
------------------------------------------------------------- £ 17,750

including flywheel, two oil pumps, four scavenge pumps, water pump,
starter motor, alternator, all brackets and pipework
(dry weight – 88kg / 194lbs)​
2.0 litre 320bhp RPB Macroblock V8​
------------------------------------------------------------- £ 22,750
2.5 litre 375bhp RPC Macroblock V8
------------------------------------------------------------- £ 22,750
2.6 litre 430bhp tuned RPA Macroblock V8
------------------------------------------- £ 22,750
Dyno engine & provide power & torque figures
-------------------------------------------- £ 320
Twin-plate clutch
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- £ 650
Breather System Kit
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ £ 193

Comprising 2 × cam cover fittings, hose kit & one-way valve​
Induction System​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- £ 2,350

comprising cast aluminium plenum, carbon-composite trumpets,
eight injectors, two fuel rails and twin 50mm throttle bodies​
Engine Management System​
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- £ 2,800

comprising engine control unit, throttle position sensor, barometric pressure sensor, ignition coils, ignition leads, and engine wiring loom​
Stainless Steel Exhaust Manifold​
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- £ 1,407

comprising eight header pipes, two 4-into-1 collector pipes, and set of springs​
Combined Bellhousing, Oil Tank,
Cylinder Head Brace & Engine Mount​
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- £ 1,339

(including braided oil pipes)​
Issue 5 – June 2006 prices quoted are in GBP Sterling, ex-works, and subject to VAT at the current standard rate where applicable E & O.E.

I was at first looking at the transmissions, so:

Attached please find the price sheet for the V8.
Currently we are using the Hewland gear boxes.
As mentioned please email me with any other questions you may have.
Thank you,
Nicole Richards
Radical Operations
775-537-6600 x231

Hi Coleman,
without any polemics, can you show the dyno diagramms for power and torque related to revs, with which general temperatures ( controlled on the dyno ) you got the figures and the specific consumption diagramm as well???
After checking those infos, if you agree to put them in pubblic, I will tell you where it will work fine and where not.
Which kind of clutch are you using?? Is the transaxle synchronised??
Can you show the spread ratio diagramm???
What is the reference car for this powertrain??
Tell weight distribution, tyre grip, center of gravity position, cv and frontal section area.
With those data I start my straight line performance program and I give you the results.
Ciao
Wanni

The engine curves are not available but the rev cut is at 10.500.
This means no torque. This means no drivability.
In the city with that kind of engine, you can burn 1 clutch every 3 lights if you are so lucky to engage the first gear.
This is a propper racing powertrain usable by professional people on tracks.
Ciao
Wanni

There is a very talented bloke who works for Buckley Systems here in NZ who has already built and raced the same style of motor in speedway and I seem to remember talk of 360hp from 2400cc. Buckley Systems make the electro magnetic devices that helpmake the silicone chips in 80% of your computors. I can find out more if you need. Cheers

A very clever bloke at Buckley Systems ahs already built the same kind of deal and raced it successfully in speedway. From memory he ran two 1200cc units and talked of 360hp. Cut the crank case out from solid aly with a CAD unit. I ca find out more if you want. Buckley Systems make the electro magnetic devices that make 80% of the worlds micro chips in your computor. Cheers

I have the article here with me in PetrolHead mag. The guy used Kawasaki ZX12R heads, barrells and crankshafts. He designed a crankcase to take both crankshafts that were joined by a gearset. The estimated hp is 360 and revs to 12000 rpm.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Back down to earth boys, Thats about $60K for a 350HP motor all in and god knows how much more for the gearbox $20K???. I suppose that the engineering is very cool but man that's a lot of money for cool.

If I'm way off here I'm sure someone will tell me. But 350hp SBF... 6k and ZF all there with bell-housing clutch etc. etc. $11K ish. I must be missing something.

Back down to earth boys, Thats about $60K for a 350HP motor all in and god knows how much more for the gearbox $20K???. I suppose that the engineering is very cool but man that's a lot of money for cool.

If I'm way off here I'm sure someone will tell me. But 350hp SBF... 6k and ZF all there with bell-housing clutch etc. etc. $11K ish. I must be missing something.

The reason the guy in New Zealand made the engine out of 2 bike motors is because the class of racing he is in has a 2.4 litre cap for 4-valve engines. There seems to be a lot of rules regarding the engine and size etc, so this design fits well within the rules and produces more power than the competitors.

Back