Yeah, these people vote

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
But do you say the same thing about Watters world on Fox?

Judge W.W. for your yourself, marc (you too, Doc :)):

Watters' World: Dumbest things edition | On Air Videos | Fox News

O'Reilly has said numerous times on his program that the W.W. interviews aren't 'set up'. Jay Leno has said the same thing about his "Jaywalking" segments.

Google both ^^^ and watch any 1/2 dozen or so segments of either one. Then ponder the outcome/consequences of Obama's "mandatory voting" proposal should it ever be realized.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Wow...a bit surprised here...not unexpectedly, though.

People who are part of the "power base" have tried for centuries to keep those who are a threat away from the voting booths. Poll taxes that kept the poor from being able to vote. Unreasonable requirements for voter registration. All of them have been declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, which seems to share my belief that every LEGAL (i.e. not the undocumented immigrant population) citizen of our country should be allowed a small, but equal, voice in who runs our country.

What would you want in this case? A mandatory IQ test in order to get a voter registration card? I can assure you that almost every IQ test out there has some cultural bias...have given IQ tests for 25 years, so I am pretty familiar with most versions.

Sure, there are times I'm amused by some of the things people tell Jay Leno...but isn't amusement the intent of the feature?

Sorry, guys, I have championed access for the differently abled for all of my 33 years in public education...this just sounds like effit snobbery to me.

Doug

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Wow...a bit surprised here...not unexpectedly, though.

People who are part of the "power base" have tried for centuries to keep those who are a threat away from the voting booths. Poll taxes that kept the poor from being able to vote. Unreasonable requirements for voter registration. All of them have been declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, which seems to share my belief that every LEGAL (i.e. not the undocumented immigrant population) citizen of our country should be allowed a small, but equal, voice in who runs our country.

What would you want in this case? A mandatory IQ test in order to get a voter registration card? I can assure you that almost every IQ test out there has some cultural bias...have given IQ tests for 25 years, so I am pretty familiar with most versions.

Sure, there are times I'm amused by some of the things people tell Jay Leno...but isn't amusement the intent of the feature?

Sorry, guys, I have championed access for the differently abled for all of my 33 years in public education...this just sounds like effit snobbery to me.

Doug

I just knew someone would bring up that red herring, Doug.

May I remind you, sir, that many elections have been decided by only one vote? Would you prefer that vote be cast by an i-n-f-o-r-m-e-d voter...or by someone who couldn't care less about how he votes and 'simply throws the 1st lever he sees because 'the law' says he has to throw one of them?

All your bowing to "P.C." aside, Doug, I think you probably completely understand - and 'get' - my point. Dare I say that at some level you likely DO agree with it?

:chug:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
The irony of where this discussion is headed, is the apparent lack of foresight or common sense in not who is voting, but instead, who is being voted for. For example, this state's newly elected Tom Cotton. Also ironic in that as much political bickering that goes on here, how that topic (Arkansas's shinning example of tact) hasn't already made the Paddock's top ten.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think everyone should vote, but I am against making voting compulsory. That's what Soviet Russia had, etc. Some people choose not to vote. That's their right- just as some people choose not to attend church, etc. There are enough things that we HAVE to do- if they add voting to the list, I'm going to stop voting for exactly that reason.

Making voting compulsory is bullshit. If you make voting relevant and make voting education worth a pinch of shit, then people WILL vote and no one will have to be compelled to do it. If people feel it means something (which it does) then they will vote. People don't bother to vote now because they feel it doesn't make any difference. If you show them otherwise, then they WILL vote. Perhaps not all of them, but more than now.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
You may be interested to know Jim that Australia has compulsory voting, and I agree with you that it is bullshit. We have a huge "donkey vote" where people who don't give a shit or are limited by only one or two brain cells just tick the first name on the ballot paper to fulfilled their legal obligation. One really sure way of getting elected is to have your name first on the ballot paper.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I didn't say this is a "set up" but there was significant editing of those that made it to the final edition that was on TV. Even WW edits there stuff as if it was not funny (sad) who would watch it. Proving that there are people that are incompetent is just the same as making them vote to. Its the reverse of paying for people to vote for you. At least that was the idea of the liberals that put O in office. Remember ACORN.
Lastly I want to say that if you are receiving money from the government for welfare, you should be considered a ward of the government and excluded from voting as you have a predisposed consideration that you are protecting. Also while there are many countries that allow others to vote in their elections, the USA constitution specifically identifies US Citizens as voters. non citizens, convicted felons, and Doug(just a joke) are not allowed to vote. That means naturalized citizens, and those born in the US are allowed to vote. Guess what is not being followed.

You may be interested to know Jim that Australia has compulsory voting, and I agree with you that it is bullshit. We have a huge "donkey vote" where people who don't give a shit or are limited by only one or two brain cells just tick the first name on the ballot paper to fulfilled their legal obligation. One really sure way of getting elected is to have your name first on the ballot paper.

This made me laugh. Its a bit like when the exit poll`s are conducted and you hear what some of the numbnuts say in response to their election choice. How they even worked out how to get there would appear to be a miracle. One woman said of Tony Blair " I dont like his cheesy grin" Nuff said.

Bob

Jeff you did listen to the responses? It is sad that these are people in California who may vote and raise children just as illiterate. Just fodder. Slander? Their words from their mouths. I just hope some were joking in front of the camera.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Jeff you did listen to the responses? It is sad that these are people in California who may vote and raise children just as illiterate. Just fodder. Slander? Their words from their mouths. I just hope some were joking in front of the camera.

I did. ONe was from Ohio by the way, and two looked to be about 12. But regardless, my point remains. I see just as much ill informed crap posted HERE on this message board as in that video.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I didn't say this is a "set up" but there was significant editing of those that made it to the final edition that was on TV. Even WW edits there stuff as if it was not funny (sad) who would watch it. Proving that there are people that are incompetent is just the same as making them vote to. Its the reverse of paying for people to vote for you. At least that was the idea of the liberals that put O in office. Remember ACORN.
Lastly I want to say that if you are receiving money from the government for welfare, you should be considered a ward of the government and excluded from voting as you have a predisposed consideration that you are protecting. Also while there are many countries that allow others to vote in their elections, the USA constitution specifically identifies US Citizens as voters. non citizens, convicted felons, and Doug(just a joke) are not allowed to vote. That means naturalized citizens, and those born in the US are allowed to vote. Guess what is not being followed.

The above is a good example.

Anybody want to point out the obvious errors in our constitutional scholar's prose?

And Marc, if you have evidence of voting by illegal aliens -- a frequent right wing nutjob scare tactic - post it up.

But hey, if you have received government money/subsidies, you don't vote! I like that idea. First voter registration card we confiscate is Al Wolhstroms as he took unemployment for a good while.

Then we go out and take all of those older folks, many of them veterans, who are on social security or Medicare. Next up is students on federally subsidized loans. After that, the temporarily unemployed, no vote for them.

Then maybe any family whose kid gets a free lunch at school. Or how about anyone who drives on federally funded roads, or is protected by the US military? Hell yeah, all of their voter registration cards be gone!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Al not me dude. I think you should be able to vote. Talk to our constitutional scholar Marc though about getting your voter registration card back.

Keith

So like in your world, I can't vote Marc because I get a weekly allowance to help me continue to live at home? :shifty:

Well, saves me a bit of trouble actually, getting to the polling station is always going to be difficult. Well, not getting there, but getting in the building! The voting booths just don't seem big enough to accommodate my all terrain scooter! :laugh:

Oh, in case I never mentioned it, I collected unemployment once after 45 years of work.
I paid 7.5% of my pay for it as did my employer for 45 years.
I collected unemployment! I collected unemployment! I collected unemployment!
Did I tell you I collected unemployment?

Back