Yet another engine suitability thread

I read through the previous thread that went dead back in April, but still feel the need to pose the following question:

Was wondering if a 09-11 BMW 335d 3.0L I6 Turbo Diesel engine would fit into the SL-C without too much modification. Also, would I be able to just use the transmission that comes with that engine? And what would I need in regards to a transaxle to get this drive train up and running? (Apologies as my car knowledge is limited.)

I like the idea because the motor produces a mountain of torque (415 lbs.), decent hp (265hp), and would be very efficient to boot, most likely averaging around 38+mpg in the SL-C.

Also, if one were to use say an Audi as a donor for the engine/trannie etc.., would it be possible to actually get the SL-C running in AWD?

Thanks in advance!

I think engine would be a tight fit ( I was going to use an s54 M3 motor + turbo) and you would NOT be able to use the trans so thats out. I bet you could get a decent amount for that trans and use it to get a new Griffon box :)

I would suggest you read up on mid engine cars and design. You would be able to answer your own questions and if you were serious about building a mid engine car the information will serve you well in the future regardless what you end up building.

There is no room in the standard design for all wheel drive. A system like that takes a lot of room. I'm sure RCR would build you one that could handle the AWD system but then I doubt you (certainly not I) would be able to afford it.

I like the idea because the motor produces a mountain of torque (415 lbs.), decent hp (265hp)

Have a look at this.

Most modest power plants could achieve decent fuel efficiency in an SL-C, due to the weight and relatively low frontal area. If you're looking to be frugal, then I'd look at FWD longitudinal drivetrains. However, I don't think that you'll save that much, and you'll always wonder what the extra horsepower would feel like :shocked:.

I am guessing if you want 40mpg you want a daily driver. If that's that what you want. You might want to look at some vws gas ones. They get mid to upper 30s. The reason I say that is cost. You can have a golf or jetta for under 20k. My buddy has a diesel Jetta that gets over 40. So that could also be choice. I think it was just over 30k. It is fully loaded.

I don't own a slc yet, but I am looking at one. I am not sure the sl-c will be the greatest daily driver. Its kind of like the F40. Its raw, loud, good looking, and not the best car on the road. With some thing from vw you will have ac, good seats, a good ride, a radio, and a bunch of safety stuff.

As for the diesel part. I am guessing you have the money other wise you would be looking at a gas motor. You have to think of a few things with diesels. The over all cost will be twice as munch compared to there gas cousins. With the BMW name it will coast at lest 3/4 more. What happens if you break down in the middle of no were? You just cant go to a 60 dollar a hour guy and get it fixed. With it being BMW you would have to be towed to shop that deal with BMW's. BMW's shops in my neck of the woods are over 80 dollars a hour.

Also you have to look how easy could you get parts. I don't know of to many BMW diesels in the states. So finding parts could be a pain. Also BMW's require almost every thing to be bought from them any more. Other wise stuff don't work right.

Do you plan of going to the tack ever? If no then go for it. If yes A stock diesel would get lapped by a lawn mower. If you plan on going to a track. It will cost a lot to get it tuned for a track. It would cost you far more then the 6k Ford and Chevy offers for there v8s. Those have over 400 hp each. Plus there is a huge after market support.

If I was you I would buy a cheap daily driver. Then build the slc with a gas v8 for weekends, and driving it a few times a week. That's just my honest opnion.

Last edited:
I am guessing if you want 40mpg you want a daily driver. If that's that what you want. You might want to look at some vws gas ones. They get mid to upper 30s. The reason I say that is cost. You can have a golf or jetta for under 20k. My buddy has a diesel Jetta that gets over 40. So that could also be choice. I think it was just over 30k. It is fully loaded.

I don't own a slc yet, but I am looking at one. I am not sure the sl-c will be the greatest daily driver. Its kind of like the F40. Its raw, loud, good looking, and not the best car on the road. With some thing from vw you will have ac, good seats, a good ride, a radio, and a bunch of safety stuff.

As for the diesel part. I am guessing you have the money other wise you would be looking at a gas motor. You have to think of a few things with diesels. The over all cost will be twice as munch compared to there gas cousins. With the BMW name it will coast at lest 3/4 more. What happens if you break down in the middle of no were? You just cant go to a 60 dollar a hour guy and get it fixed. With it being BMW you would have to be towed to shop that deal with BMW's. BMW's shops in my neck of the woods are over 80 dollars a hour.

Also you have to look how easy could you get parts. I don't know of to many BMW diesels in the states. So finding parts could be a pain. Also BMW's require almost every thing to be bought from them any more. Other wise with stuff don't work right.

Do you plan of going to the tack ever? If no then go for it. If yes A stock diesel would get lapped by a lawn mower. If you plan on going to a track. It will cost a lot to get it tuned for a track. It would cost you far more then the 6k Ford and Chevy offers for there v8s. Those have over 400 hp each. Plus there is a huge after market support.

If I was you I would buy a cheap daily driver. Then build the slc with a gas v8 for weekends, and driving it a few times a week. That's just my honest opnion.

Thanks for the advice. Yea i'm looking for it to be my daily driver, but my commute is a whopping 6 mi, which takes about 7 minutes without traffic and maybe 18min in rush hour. Looking into just picking up a LS6 off a wrecked 'vette and going that route. Thanks for everyone's advice :thumbsup:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Is that the Skoda diesel engine? For a while they made more power and torque than the then Porsche petrol options. I believe they were also attached to a very good 6 speed transaxle

Ian

I would like to see someone build a diesel powered SL-C...before we do....wink

Planning on showing a certain company how you *really* do a 'diesel-in-a-supercar' are we? :p

Audi V10 + the AWD transaxle from the R8, that would be my fancy. The forward driveshaft is already offset so hopefully it would clear the strong centre spin Fran built into the chassis all the way to the front, then you 'just' need to find a place for the front diff, appropriate arrangement for the front half shafts and different hubs.

I can't really tell where the front 'axle line' would be and how far into that the driver and passenger's feet would be.

I've just been in my friends RS5 and whilst I know full well the SL-C would be even quicker than that, the RS5 has astonishing grip, I mean just obscene considering the road was what Top Gear would call 'mildly moist' and it weighs in at 1.7ish tonnes. And that V8..... oooh that V8....

4 litre BMW M3 V8... It would be a 9000 rpm hurricane back there. But nothing beats an LS-fill in the blank. Well, maybe a three rotor...

Pro: Blasting by Alex
Con: Not being able to see the tears in his eyes as he disappears from view

Even if you could pass God's gift of the all-mighty V8, I give it 2, maybe 3, miles tops before you're on the side of the road puking out apex seals =)

For your consideration and delectation:

The engine from the 2012 Bentley Continental GT V8

Bentley-Continental-GT-V8_5.jpg

All in one unit, you get the engine, the differential and and an eight (count 'em--8!) speed transmission for the 2012 Bentley Continental GT V8. Just chop off the end that goes to the rear wheels and you've got your entire drivetrain, all integrated and set up for you! And it's a factory engine with a warranty! :)

According to 2012 Bentley Continental GT V8 - Images, Specifications and InformationUltimatecarpage.com - Powered by knowledge, driven by passion

The engine, available in both the GT coupe and GTC convertible body-styles, is similar to that of the latest Audi S8. Displacing just under four litres, it is equipped with two turbos and direct fuel injection. Capable of producing 500 bhp, it can also run on four cylinders to reduce emissions and consumption at times when not all that power is required.
According to the Bentley press release (December 12, 2011):

The new 4.0 litre, twin turbocharged V8 Continental GT coupé and GTC convertible achieve exceptional standards for power-to-emissions in the high luxury sports car sector.

This remarkable, new Bentley V8 engine delivers maximum power of 500bhp (507PS/373Kw) at 6000 rev/min and an extraordinary peak torque of 660Nm (487 lb ft) which is available across virtually the entire rev range from 1700 to 5000 rev/min, providing exhilarating performance and effortless power delivery in the Bentley tradition. Combined with a new close-ratio 8-speed automatic transmission, this translates into a sub-5 second acceleration time for the 0-60 mph (0-100km/h) sprint and a top speed of over 180mph (290km/h)
(All in a 5100 pound car! What would it do in an SL-C which weighs less than half that and has wonderful aerodynamics?)

At the same time, the new V8 Continental models achieve outstanding levels of fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions for the luxury performance sector and are capable of travelling over 500 miles (800km) on a single tank of fuel.(It deactivates cylinders! :)
Bentley-Continental-GT-V8_6.jpg

The high-technology V8 also features high pressure direct injection, low friction bearings, thermal management, energy recuperation via the charging system, and innovative turbo charger packaging for greater efficiency.
Again, for a 5100-pound car. Over 500 miles on the highway in a featherweight, small SL-C? Oh, yeah! :)

General specifications

Country of origin Great Britain
Numbers built N/A
Introduced 2012
Introduced at 2012 NAIAS

Engine

Configuration 90º V8
Location Front, longitudinally mounted
Weight 220 kilo / 485 lbs
Construction aluminium block and head
Displacement 3.993 liter / 243.7 cu in
Bore / Stroke 84.5 mm (3.3 in) / 89.0 mm (3.5 in)
Valvetrain 4 valves / cylinder, DOHC
Fuel feed Direct Fuel Injection
Aspiration Twin Turbo
Power 500 bhp / 373 KW @ 6000 rpm
Torque 660 Nm / 487 ft lbs @ 1700 rpm
BHP/Liter 125 bhp / liter

Drivetrain

Gearbox 8 speed Automatic
Drive All wheel drive

Performance figures

Top Speed 290 km/h (180 mph)
0-60 mph 5.0 s

And from an earlier press release about the Continental GT in general:
Dimensions

Weight 2320 kilo / 5114.7 lbs
Length / Width / Height 4806 mm (189.2 in) / 1944 mm (76.5 in) / 1404 mm (55.3 in)
Wheelbase / Track (fr/r) 2746 mm (108.1 in) / N/A / N/A
Drooling may now commence . . .

Bassanio et Portia :)

Last edited:
Back