yet another tire post...

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply..

So would it be best to use a 215/60/15, on the front..?

Ive just found a Firestone Indy 500... P295/50R/15 V rated. with a diameter of 26.5 in. Can you give any advice on these tyres...are they road legal...expensive...etc

thanks

mick

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Mick

Try Kumho UK
They have some correct height 15 inch tyres in V rating with all the right e markings for IVA etc - Perhaps not quite as wide as you want for the back but they will cost abot £300 fo a set of 4

Ian

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply..

So would it be best to use a 215/60/15, on the front..?

Ive just found a Firestone Indy 500... P295/50R/15 V rated. with a diameter of 26.5 in. Can you give any advice on these tyres...are they road legal...expensive...etc

thanks

mick

Things may be different in the UK, but in the US the Firehawks are an S rated tire not V rated.

Here is the logic I'd use - please remember this is probably priced for value ;-)

You have 6.5 fronts and 10in rears. I'd try to match that 3.5in on the section width so that the tires present the same profile. So I'd look for a rear tire about 90mm (3.5in * 25.4mm) larger than the front.

I'd also look for tires in the 26-27in range so that they appear to fill out the wheel well.

Also, I think it looks a bit better if the front tire is about .5in shorter than the rear. It kind of replicates the original and looks more aggressive.

Looking on tirerack in the Firehawk or Goodrich T/A that would make the rears 295/60-15 and the best front would be 215/65-15. Not quite the 90mm, but close.

Mick

Try Kumho UK
They have some correct height 15 inch tyres in V rating with all the right e markings for IVA etc - Perhaps not quite as wide as you want for the back but they will cost abot £300 fo a set of 4

Ian
Ian, which Kumho tyre type and sizes are you using front and back.

@Mick,

I actually meant did anyone call them, they are very receptive to the idea of making unique tire sizes and compounds, and as we all know there are not a lot of choices for wide 15" tires.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ian, which Kumho tyre type and sizes are you using front and back.

Just looked it up on BlackCircles.com

Kumho KL12 255/60-15V (102) on the rear
Kumho KH17 215/60-15V (94) on the front

This is the same size as the BF Goodrich tyres that a lot of people had on GTD and Tonado from the early 1990's

255 tyre is 255mm tread width so 10 inches and will fit on 10 inch rims
215 tyre is 215mm tread a little over 8 inch

Cheers
Ian

I use Avon 295/50/15 on the rear ,they stick like shit to a blanket.
I Have done 3 track days and after doing many suspension changes I have concluded at this point that the avon 215 front is to narrow .
The low CG and pollar moment of enertia causes understeer issues in a lot of rear engined cars.

A 245/50/15 works out a nice ratio between front and rear 295 but i have not found anything in a street tyre(hoosier make a track tyre).

With a diff and 215 on the front you are likly to get understeer.

I found for the street sumitomo htr2000 do a 265/50 for the front and 295/50 rear
They fit my car but I made my front suspension so clearance is not an issue.
Larger sizes are yet to be tested but I feel confident.

My advice get as larger front tyre on there as you can.
Or you put some rear steer in your car.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi,

friend of mine uses Michelin TB5 R on his GTD and he loves them, as long as it is dry :)
But they develop a lot a lot a lot grip........
I use Avon's and I am not to happy with them, here Ron is right ....overpriced......not usable for just driving around.....
I have Hankook's on my Cobra but only 70mi. old so no real experience .....
Cheers
(C)arlos

Back