ZF Gearbox Fiasco/ Fraud / Pete Schomer

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Re: Pete Schomer Gearbox Fraud - Beware

Oh, I see, because you're in the "same business" as Tom, you get to stick your hand in his pocket and pull out whatever you like, is that it?

I don't know you. I do know Tom, although not very well. But his reputation is that he keeps his word, which is a great deal more than can be said for you, Pete.

You and Tom are not in the same business, Pete. He is a dealer in vintage and collectible automobiles who also races them. You are a ripoff artist. Two different occupations. Being interested in cars, especially as a way to steal from people, does not make you a vintage car dealer, Pete. Perhaps you've confused the two.

If you want to rehab your name, pay Tom what you owe him. How confusing is that?

Mr. Schomer you are a charlatan for not returning Tom's money. Googling your name reveals a 'proposed' motorsport resort scheme. Hope your reputation suffers over this inexcusable fraud.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

The series 1 gearbox was part of a package that included a vintage race car that I found on Craigs List and I had no use for the gearbox...

I made the mistake offering it to Tom for £7900 when I find out later they can be worth £20 > £25,000
Ah. so now things are becoming more clear.

No wonder he jumped on it, and no wonder he is upset that he did not get it
My guess is he is upset because he sent you money and you did not send him the transaxle.

Knowing Tom, I bet he already had it sold for a good profit!
Even if that was true, what does that have to do with you stealing his money and how is it any of your business to begin with?

stay away from Pete Schomer...I would think 50% of his listings or more are a scam!
There, I fixed it for you.

Sounds to me like you made a deal, took Tom's money, and then decided to sell it to someone else when you realized you could get more money from it.

One bad transaction has basically ruined my future

We can only hope...

Pete, I think it's safe to assume that you have eyeballs located in your head which function reasonably well such that you're aware that is apparently NOT just a private matter between you and Tom. It is, in fact, a very public matter disclosing a fair amount of detail. Detail which is searchable for the world to view if interested, and demonstrative of the character and motivation of the person's involved. You yourself have publicly defended yourself in an effort to justify your actions and position, so to say that it is a private matter is laughable.

You must be aware you look like a complete crook, and if you are not aware, then you must be laboring under some mental delusion. Further, to come into this public forum and declare that Tom is somehow not deserving of an immediate refund (and probably damages on top of that) shows a level of arrogance which simply compounds the crook/delusion factor.

I know if I was Tom I would be engaging a solicitor local to you to begin a legal process.

Pete

CURRENTLY BANNED

Troy
The gearbox was not advertised by me. I knew Tom was into GT40's. I emailed him about the ZF #260 and the package that included a F5000 car and truck load of parts. When I sent him the photos that I had received from the scammers he jumped to the chance to buy it. I all went very fast.
You are right troy..'It's not all black & white'

To Glenn Bilawsky: Do you own this site? What makes you the leader here? Do you work for a collection agency?
I see under your name : 'Oneofakind' I agree you really are...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

You sent him a check that bounced Pete?

He NEVER EVER told me he did not own the gearbox

I bought the gearbox from

Pete Schömer

Tel: +44 -7875 926699

He has sent a bad refund check(bounced), claimed he couldn't wire because I didn't have an IBAN code, gearbox was in Scotland, didn't materialize, bought a replacement box in Nevada but missed it by a day, guy hasnt returned his money, Monaco grand Prix, queens jubilee, London olympics. Etc.
Can't figure how to refund my approx £8000

I will provide his IP address tommorrow

Thank you

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter

As some of you know, I am an attorney and have helped Ron with various legal issues over the years. You all would be amazed at the number of times -- almost exclusively from the UK because, I think, of their rather loose laws on libel -- Ron is threatened with a suit for something someone else posts on GT40s.com.

It is amazing to me the lengths people will go to make other folks miserable over a few thousand dollars. Trust me, Ron doesn't appreciate the threats/etc. that come from disgruntled folks who don't like some of the posts here, and a continuing ongoing pattern of this type of behavior is just going to hurt the community as a whole.

Ron Earp

Admin

The situation here is that Pete Schomer is now threatening to sue the forum (for the second time actually) over this thread and the appearance of his name on this forum. He states that "Your site and threads by all members will be drawn into a law suite.." Jeff Young has offered to handle the lawsuit, much thanks to him, however it has already taken his time and mine to deal with the constant barrage of emails from Pete.

Anyhow, I'll keep the membership informed about how the lawsuit progresses and the outcome. If we need to start a defense fund I'll put out the word. In the meantime, please keep the thread on point and post only factual information.

Thanks,
Ron

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

I will commit to some funds for defense should it become needed. I doubt it will as the plaintif will be forced to reveal the workings of the deal which I assume would not reflect well on the merits of the case.

That said, I just play a lawyer on TV.......................and I work in a law "suite"....it is very nice with panelled walls and deep carpeting!

Last edited:

Like most of us here, the only "dog" that I have in this fight is the open and honest exchange of information about the cars that we all love.

That exchange includes information about resources related to procuring parts and accessories, who can be trusted, and who can't.

To that end, I too pledge to add to any "defense fund", should one be required.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

At least he is up front and honest in his profile.

" Gay Pepperoni "
" Pete Schomer "
" Rookie "

Count me in on the legal fund if needed.

Regards Brian

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Translation... Game on Pete, bring it!

Pete

CURRENTLY BANNED

Can a Blog Be Sued for Defamation; Isn't It All Free Speech?
This is a knotty issue, but a short answer would be, generally, that a blog or web site owner whose blog has published obnoxious or slanderous materials can be held liable. The Communications Decency Act of 1996 is a protector of blog owners. It states, in section 230, that it "precludes courts from entertaining claims that would place a computer service provider in a publisher's role." As to how the court sees blogs, in general, overall, the US Supreme Court has ruled that blogs are similar to news groups, saying "in the context of defamation law, the rights of the institutional media are no greater and no less than those enjoyed by other individuals and organizations engaged in the same activities."

For bloggers, all Defamation legal rules apply to their posts. But there are many complications in applying them. First, many people who post online comments, and probably those tending to make the most inflammatory and false statements, will do so anonymously, for obvious reasons. So the first threshold is identifying the blogger making Defamatory claims. Several things make this difficult, as well. Since the blogger probably will not identify themselves when the issue comes to light, there needs to be a legal process that allows identification. They can be traced by high-tech means, but a court must agree via summary judgment that all the elements of Defamation have been met. This technology does have some limits, as well, as it can be stymied through use of "Proxies," which mask the true origin of the blogger. Also, the website owner may not cooperate in the search, as well.

A recent case showed how powerful Defamation laws, applied online, can be. In November 2006, a Florida woman, Sue Scheff, was awarded $11.3 million in damages in Broward County Circuit Court, in one of the biggest awards ever tolled. The suit was filed for Internet defamation, and the jury found a Louisiana woman had posted caustic messages against the Scheff and her company, claiming she was a "con artist" and "fraud". The jury found the charges were completely false, so the Louisiana woman had no defense. Interestingly, Scheff's attorney had offered to settle the case for $35,000 before it went before the jury.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Re: ZF Gearbox Fiasco / Lawsuit vs. GT40s.com

Mr. Pepporooni, I lost my wife to malignant cancer 3 years ago, I hope you can clear your soul before your time comes. Although we weren't "married" in the eyes of our beloved govt., I still made good on any of the outstanding debts she had. None were from FRAUD, if Tom is lucky your heirs will be of a higher level of integrity than you display. Regardless of the FRAUD involved the writing of a bad check here is a crime as well.Tom could probably prosecute you on that alone. I have. The court enjoys adding additional fines and some jail time under conditions that seem to exist here. Pussiville...is it named after you???
I will add that there are some larger entities that I have dealt with, in the last decade, that display this level of disgusting behaviour. I think being within driving distance prompted them to clear up their fraud attempts fairly quickly.I would guess, from some of the comments here, you might want to not venture out of country again.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Re: ZF Gearbox Fiasco / Lawsuit vs. GT40s.com

The unfortunate part of all this nonsense is that Tom is most likely out a sizeable chunk of change due to this dishonorable bad check writing crook.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter

Mr. Schomer:

Note that the below involved an action against the actual blogger/poster, and not the owner of the website who is generally insulated from these types of claims.

Note also that truth, or reasonable belief that what you are posting is true, is a complete defense to a defamation or libel claim. So if the facts as stated by Tom are true, you have no claim for lible or defamation.

I'd advise you again to stop the threats of lawsuits and work something out with Tom like an adult.

Thanks.

Can a Blog Be Sued for Defamation; Isn't It All Free Speech?
This is a knotty issue, but a short answer would be, generally, that a blog or web site owner whose blog has published obnoxious or slanderous materials can be held liable. The Communications Decency Act of 1996 is a protector of blog owners. It states, in section 230, that it "precludes courts from entertaining claims that would place a computer service provider in a publisher's role." As to how the court sees blogs, in general, overall, the US Supreme Court has ruled that blogs are similar to news groups, saying "in the context of defamation law, the rights of the institutional media are no greater and no less than those enjoyed by other individuals and organizations engaged in the same activities."

For bloggers, all Defamation legal rules apply to their posts. But there are many complications in applying them. First, many people who post online comments, and probably those tending to make the most inflammatory and false statements, will do so anonymously, for obvious reasons. So the first threshold is identifying the blogger making Defamatory claims. Several things make this difficult, as well. Since the blogger probably will not identify themselves when the issue comes to light, there needs to be a legal process that allows identification. They can be traced by high-tech means, but a court must agree via summary judgment that all the elements of Defamation have been met. This technology does have some limits, as well, as it can be stymied through use of "Proxies," which mask the true origin of the blogger. Also, the website owner may not cooperate in the search, as well.

A recent case showed how powerful Defamation laws, applied online, can be. In November 2006, a Florida woman, Sue Scheff, was awarded $11.3 million in damages in Broward County Circuit Court, in one of the biggest awards ever tolled. The suit was filed for Internet defamation, and the jury found a Louisiana woman had posted caustic messages against the Scheff and her company, claiming she was a "con artist" and "fraud". The jury found the charges were completely false, so the Louisiana woman had no defense. Interestingly, Scheff's attorney had offered to settle the case for $35,000 before it went before the jury.

Back