SL-C #50 Allan's Build

Oh my.....

...and that dash? Oh wow.

That's.... made me quite speechless.

Any interior shots? Looks like you are going for the full interior kit, the dash from the top looks VERY production car IMO which is perfect.

Amazing work.

Oh my.....

...and that dash? Oh wow.

That's.... made me quite speechless.

Any interior shots? Looks like you are going for the full interior kit, the dash from the top looks VERY production car IMO which is perfect.

Amazing work.

Absolutely agree, your dash looks factory!

Allan-- That is a gorgeous build!! It looks like it's doing 200 miles an hour just sitting still. That thing is going to turn a lot of heads. Congratulations. I've got to get me one of those.

Thanks everyone!

The dash is sprayed with the Alsa soft feel clearcoat with some candy black in it. Two coats and it looks and feels like leather, I'm really happy with it.

Now I just have to finish the rest of the interior, put in the front blinkers and the door struts and it will be all set.

How do you reckon that new soft touch paint will hold up durability wise?

Is Alex worrying about nothing? :p

It *looks* LOVELY..... but if you can easily scratch/chip some paint off, I'd be worried about it all the time.

But it DOES look LOVELY.......

Did I say it looks lovely?

The Alsa Soft Touch is pretty durable IMO. The formulation of the resins are the same as used in many OEM auto manufacturers coatings, such as VW and Chrysler's
use of a Dupont product (VelveShield). I have specified the Alsa coatings in the marine industry for dash shield "eyebrows" and found the UV resistance to be okay to good after a couple of years open exposure in the real world. Good choice for the dash and possibly door panels/consoles. A little pricey though. If you want a price shock, look into the Dupont stuff. No basecoat is required over the gelcoat after sanding, unless untinted clear is used. A good urethane 2K primer would be suitable.

I scuffed the gelcoat with a grey pad then just sprayed the panels. You mix in 1 ounce of kandy per quart, any color. A lot less expensive than leather and a perfect fit.
It will be as durable as a good clear and I have already dropped it without any damage.

Perfect Allan! The product is really a lot tougher than a straight clearcoat. It is mar resistant and has good elongation properties. No, I'm not selling this stuff, just like it.

Good to hear your positive experience with the Alsa Soft Touch paint. That looks like a great solution for several parts of the car interior, especially the dash.

I'm now rethinking the notion of upholstery on the dash. Hope I will be able to see your car in person in September!

Will, I have only considered the soft touch coating or flocking for my dash. No leather for me. Maybe some combo of CF and flocking or soft touch elsewhere too.
I've been playing with some Carbon/Kevlar hybrid fabric as well, difficult to work as the Kevlar does not sand to an edge very well (must be cut with a razor blade, etc.).
Just playing though. Did we speak of tangents lately?

The Alsa Soft Touch is pretty durable IMO. The formulation of the resins are the same as used in many OEM auto manufacturers coatings, such as VW and Chrysler's
use of a Dupont product (VelveShield). I have specified the Alsa coatings in the marine industry for dash shield "eyebrows" and found the UV resistance to be okay to good after a couple of years open exposure in the real world. Good choice for the dash and possibly door panels/consoles. A little pricey though. If you want a price shock, look into the Dupont stuff. No basecoat is required over the gelcoat after sanding, unless untinted clear is used. A good urethane 2K primer would be suitable.

That's interesting - when I spoke w/ Alsa I got the exact opposite advice (poor UV abilities, okayish durability if you're going to be constantly pawing at it)

I scuffed the gelcoat with a grey pad then just sprayed the panels. You mix in 1 ounce of kandy per quart, any color. A lot less expensive than leather and a perfect fit.
It will be as durable as a good clear and I have already dropped it without any damage.

Does it show marring really easily?

Back