01E first and second straight cut gearset

was looking at advanced automotions site and they list a 1-2 gearset, seems to be both in straight cut or helical and has a much better 1st gear. One of the biggest problems with the 01e is having a 3.5 first gear, so making it about useless. The new gearset has a 3.1 first and making it a much better option. So my question (for Scott) does this gearset work with the fwd box?

https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/144

can you mix and match the straight cut with helical? As in 1st-2nd are straight cut, and the rest of the box 3rd-6th is helical? Seems like this might be a best of both worlds kind of scenario.. extra strength in 1st and 2nd for hard launches, but the quiet factor for reg driving 3rd-6th.

So what kind of power could you put through the straight cut 1-2nd with sticky tires?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What would make straight cut gears stronger than helical cut gears in your opinion?

no idea, probably changes the directional forces being applied. and maybe has a larger contact patch per tooth maybe?

everything I have always read is straight cut gears can handle more power.

Yes, you can have one built with straight cut first and second with helical for the others. One of the members here has one done that way. I read an article on one of the transmission builder's sites that said it is not true that straight cut gears are stronger. They are used in race transmissions because they create less heat and don't have the axial load that helical teeth do.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yes, you can have one built with straight cut first and second with helical for the others. One of the members here has one done that way. I read an article on one of the transmission builder's sites that said it is not true that straight cut gears are stronger. They are used in race transmissions because they create less heat and don't have the axial load that helical teeth do.
My presumption is that they use larger (and fewer) teeth with a deeper contact patch on the straight cut. Helical cut gears are much more quiet and have a very long contact patch - but some of that contact is somewhat small since the gears start to mesh on one end an leave mesh on the other...
Maybe one of our resident experts can expand our knowledge in this!

With regard to helical vs straight cut, I still get a lot of Jerico & Top Loader trans work.. The Jerico obviously straight cut & Top Loader Helical... I was just trying to remember when I last saw a top loader with actual tooth damage, and I cannot!.. Twisted input shafts-Yes...Seized 2&3 gears on mainshaft Yes...Twisted/broken mainshafts in rear extension Yes....... Now the Jerico... teeth broken off Yes,.... Any of the splined gears on Layshaft split from spline to tooth Yes.... Case distortion to the extent it needs steel bushing to recover shaft center distance ..Yes... When you look at the straight cut Jerico tooth contact its a line from front to rear of tooth at any given time,but that contact point moves up and down the tooth flank as it rotates. but the helical gears only have a shorter contact point that stays at about the same height on the tooth flank. Cost of making these gears in helical form must be a factor as given the above a Jerico in lower helical angle with all its other plus's of caged roller bearings, stronger input shaft and multiple ratio choices would be a lot more user friendly and perhaps make it a more suitable road car option even with the dog engagement.

Was doing a little reading on how strong the 01e box is, and Audi guys are putting 1000+ hp through the awd box with straight cut gear swap.

So it seems that at least in this instance that the straight cut gears are the choice for crazy hp and drag racing.

Curious to how much different the fwd and Awd versions of the 01E is as far as strength.

Was doing a little reading on how strong the 01e box is, and Audi guys are putting 1000+ hp through the awd box with straight cut gear swap.

So it seems that at least in this instance that the straight cut gears are the choice for crazy hp and drag racing.

Curious to how much different the fwd and Awd versions of the 01E is as far as strength.
Its Torque that strains a gear set, not horsepower.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Put a set of really sticky tires on the car, beat it like the proverbial dog and you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to strip the gearset in almost any gear box....
It’s the combination of torque and traction. Because you cannot measure torque unless you’re putting it against an immovable object - hence “stalling” the movement. That point of stall is where torque ca; actually be measured.

For the same tooth profile helical gears will be stronger, however straight cut gears allow the tooth root to be much thicker which increases strength. Straight cut gears are also more efficient as there is no thrust force produced like in Helical gears.

For the same tooth profile helical gears will be stronger, however straight cut gears allow the tooth root to be much thicker which increases strength. Straight cut gears are also more efficient as there is no thrust force produced like in Helical gears.
well considering you make them in both a straight cut and also a helical, which one would be stronger in this instance?

im talking about your gear set that your company engineered..

This one..
https://advancedautomotion.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/144

it said its in either straight cut or helical, so which option would be the stronger option.

It depends on what definition you choose as to what is stronger. Straight cut gears tend to be stronger in static loading, and helical show superior strength with dynamic loading. Ths big difference is if you desire a quite gearset or loud one.

Back