01E install

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
New cv shaft has arrived. Was costly, must be a better way? But here it is so looking forward to getting home and getting the car back on the road.

I don't know the spline size for your joints, but what I did for the 930 joints I have is use Sway-a-Way axles or similar dune buggy products in the aftermarket world. Mine cost about $200 for the pair. They come in 1/4" length increments I believe (I think mine are 21-3/8"), so I got the right size without any additional grooving for the rings in a different location. They make splined axle sizes for just about any German standard bearing.

Basically I set the suspension where the gap was the shortest which was at full droop. I then had a dummy cv shaft and I cut it in half and kept shortening it till I had about 4mm of free play when fitted. I tack welded the shaft to together and then refitted . Then I removed the shock spring and ran the suspension from top to full droop checking for shaft clearance as I ran it through the full arc. All was good so sent tack welded dummy shaft to machine shop and they copied it .

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Dave. How did you decide on 4MM? Does the 4mm play you built into the axle correspond to the inboard-outboard travel of the plunge joint in the transaxle side CV?

One cv was fixed and one is floating. The fixed had approx 3 to 4mm free play. The float has approx 20mm . Basically I made sure the shaft did not bind at any position. I left it a little on the loose side as it's easier to fit a shim then shorten the shaft again.

Got the car running today. New shortened shaft turned up. only driven around the backyard but I got all gears and clutch that works. Road testing tomorrow. Still need to adapt speedo wiring. Here's a pic of the rear panel cut out for clearance .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 869
Last edited:
finally got the car on the road. The 01E is a real nice driver, the shift is much nicer than the 016 and my car sits on 1900rpm at 100kph or 60mph in 6th gear. There doesnt seem to be a detent to seperate 1st from reverse so need to fit a lock out plate to stop me accidentally selecting reverse. The south bend clutch seems to hold and is light on the foot.

finally got the car on the road. The 01E is a real nice driver, the shift is much nicer than the 016 and my car sits on 1900rpm at 100kph or 60mph in 6th gear. There doesnt seem to be a detent to seperate 1st from reverse so need to fit a lock out plate to stop me accidentally selecting reverse. The south bend clutch seems to hold and is light on the foot.

The 01E's don't have an internal reverse lockout feature. That was performed by the shifter which required the knob to be pushed downward.

Hi Dave, with all the Audi boxes that are going into these cares now days is the steeper shaft angle and obvious extra work the CVs do not a problem long term or under race conditions. I know that 99% of these cars see much less milage than you daily driver.

Cheers Leon.

I know of a DRB running Audi/Porsche 944 trans with near on 10 000km of race only driving and that car has never had a cv failure. So no concern at all with the CV's.

Dave, congrats on completing the swap. Nice to hear things are working as planned. What is the shift pattern for your box? Where is reverse located?

Sadly, no real news on my swap. The shop I chose to perform the change had to use an outside vendor and that vendor is causing delays. My patience is wearing thin but I hold out hopes things will move along quickly once the axle is obtained. Can you post a pic of your "lock out plate" once completed. Based on Scott's comment I suspect I'll have to do something similar. Thanks.

Shift pattern is
R 1 3 5
--2 4 6
Yes making something very similar to pics above. Jimmy you will be amazed how much nicer the 01E is over the 016.

RICH, thanks for posting those. A couple of solid ideas.

DAVE, thanks for providing the shift pattern and the comforting words mate. My swap should be completed soon. (fingers crossed!)

The final $ figure will determine just how much I think the 01E is better then the 016! :anxious:

It will be a massive difference Jimmy, well worth the effort...my costs approx. No labour as I did all the work in house.

adapter / clutch kit with freight and duty $2800
01E diesel model with freight and duty $3000
new cv driveshaft $1000
balance flywheel $280
new gearbox mount owner made
So yeah about 7k Australian to install.

Now that's interesting Dave. Being able to do your own labor is massive when it comes to the final $ tally. If my calculations are good 7K Australian = just over 5 K US. I'm waaaaay past 5K mate!

As previously mentioned I have at least $ 2K of "guinea pig" money in mine. Walking out on the ledge has its hazards and I've been standing on that ledge for far too long and paying for it. Its only money, right!

Exactly....if you get great service from them and a great result then the cost is inconsequential in the end. If you feel you are being ripped off or smell a Rat then that's another story. Being a Pioneer for your upgrade doesn't help either...lol. Keep at it and keep the updates coming. I can assure you the differences is massive...when you select 6th for the first time you will smile.

Working on reverse lock out type arrangement for the shifter. I didn't want a gate type plate as that's to Ferrari for me....just something simple at start with a flip up reverse lock out. Also more so as a guide for 1st / 2nd....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 379
Very nice Dave! Simple, effective and kinda period correct in the looks department. You won't mind if I steal your idea would you? I love the simplicity of it.

Sadly, (no pun intended) but I'm still stuck in 1st gear as far as my swap goes. That damn drivers side axle is holding up any progress on mine. I'm told once it comes in they'll get the car done in a couple of days. Fingers still crossed.

i found an old bit of alloy with a bit of patina then cut it to shape was very easy . then used normal number stamps and a hinge from the hardware shop, oh and feel free to copy the copy of the copy of someone elses work....ha ha haaa.

Back