15" Brembos on the SL-C

15 inch rotors with six piston monoblock calipers....

Attachments

• BIG BRAKES 022.jpg
    BIG BRAKES 022.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 579
  • BIG BRAKES 023.jpg
    BIG BRAKES 023.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 601
  • BIG BRAKES 035.jpg
    BIG BRAKES 035.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 503
  • BIG BRAKES 024.jpg
    BIG BRAKES 024.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Nice, are you offering this as an upgrade? If so please email me with the cost with trade in for my Wilwoods. Also, those pictures you sent still have not shown up on my end, please try again and email my office account as a back up.

Thanks

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Grooves on Brembos :
Additionally, all of Brembo’s slotted discs are directional: the discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the brake disc, contacts the brake pad first.

Is that right Fran?

I think David is right. I was chastised for the same reason, posting pics of my rotors on the wrong side. (I had just grabbed the nearest one for a test fit!)

It's all to do with the internal vane direction, and so on.

Dave, you is right them's is yours...

Morton.
if you look carefully you will see that the caliper is also the right front ...as the bleed nipples are not at the top of the caliper....you must be really bored ....:uneasy:
I just took pics for you guys to see what we have been up to....

ps. Troy,
just like you I threw the nearest to hand on for sharing pics only...

DM doesn't need brakes on his GTD...he never drives the bloody thing ..so he can only dream about needing big Brembos....:tongue2:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Hall.
I knew you would know.
Morton

ps You are right - I can only dream of Brembos.
pps Mine has the big AP's with a Brembo handbrake.

You are also right - it's never been used.

Fran,

Looks like a nice upgrade. Love the two-piece rotor-hat configuration: should help with some heat dissipation. Dave's car is coming along nicely!

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Them's is mine :D

Very nice man!! And a white car to boot? You really are building my car for me aren't you? Now just put in a turbocharged 4 rotor and we're in bidness!! LOL

Can't wait to see the build thread on this thing!

Brian

A damn fine system. (other than being shown upside down/backwards)

Looks like MR Smith and Mr Valskis set you up with the good stuff.

Congrats, they dont usually move so fast for independents, you must have sent some really good beer!

cheers
Eric

It all fits and works just fine....its the same system used on the SL-C in Florida by Breathless perfromance...lots of youtube of it in use.
One comment from the driver was "no matter how late he braked , it was still too early"......
We are using the same CCW 18 x 11 and 18 x 13 rims we supply for the SL-C as an upgrade option.
Crash...we do try to think this stuff through..honestly we do...!..

Seeing as you have spent time with Richard and his racing GTM..will you be doing one similar???

If all things go well, I will be driving the GTMR a couple more times this year in races. I have a set of 8 pot mono block brembos sitting on the shelf. I have 12, 13 and 15 inch rotors as well, but was not sure if they would fit with an 18" rim. The GTMR is in Stockton and I am in San Diego so test fitting is kind of hard. By my calcs I would have to go to 19s to run that big of a caliper and a 15" rotor. The 8 pots are probably a bit much, and obviously I won't know until I actually try if they will fit, but I have them, so I may want to use them, and I was interested when I saw this thread about using 15" rotors what your whole setup was/is.

Now that the GTMR has a tire package, I think the brakes will be something to look at. I put brake paint on the rotors when I drove the car and then purposely went and drove very hard. I didn't intentionally abuse them, but used them about as hard as I could given the tire. I noticed some fade and all the paint was toast on the fronts. Therefore I feel the brakes may need an upgrade as well as the brake cooling system. Probably even more so now with the new tires.

The GTMR guys are always looking to make improvements, and I will be helping them in any way I can. Once tires, brakes, and suspension are done it will be time to move on to HP. It's ALL in the works. We need to drop about 12 seconds a lap to compete with the overall fast car on the track, which is a Radical in another class, but I think all the above will get the team close enough to beat the Radical since their fuel tank is relatively small and they must make quite a few more pit stops. Already the GTMR finishes on the lead lap even with the 12 second a lap differential. The GTMR is very fast already, but I think the goal is to make it Daytona Prototype fast at half the cost.

As far as me doing a GTM or GTMR, PDG has expressed a desire to have more than one GTMR at the races. I have expressed that I would like to be a part of any developement of a ground up car. Things are in the works. We'll get through the major developement this year and see how the team does at the 25 hour race. I wish to be a part of PDGs success in the GTMR program, and will do whatever I am ask to, or able to, do.

I'd also love to see an SLC out at the Southern CA race tracks. Is there anyone who may come out and race against the GTM with an SLC? Knowing the attitudes of the GTMR guys, they would LOVE some friendly competition. They're a really good bunch of guys. They'd give you the shirts off their backs, or anything else you may need, just to help get you out on the track so everyone can race.

I would love to see a full race SL-C being campaigned......but as you well know racing is a fulltime gig....and most people want to have dual usage out of their cars...so a full on race car is probably a little ways off......

Maybe Dave with his rotary powered car will make it happen in Ca...

The SL-C is just as you mention a DP type car for the masses.....

I respect what the guys have done with their GTM but its unfortunate that there were so many mods to the standard car to make it more usable on track.

Back