1964 Cheetah GT V8.....!!!

how can it be, how is it posible to not know about this car!!! rockonsmile the bloody seat is almost over the rear axle, f#cking awesome !

1964CheetahGTV81.jpg

1964CheetahGTV82.jpg

1964CheetahGTV83.jpg

1964CheetahGTV84.jpg

ps: is there any kit for this car ?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I like a kit without doors, like this one. It sure would make a build easier, IMHO!

Too bad they were SBC powered--I bleed Ford Blue and can't stand Chebbie stink!

Doug

The Cheetah is also available as turn-key continuation series eligible for vintage racing:

The Cheetah Race Car

I looked into these about two years ago and they were selling for $85,000 as a turn-key. This is strictly a race car - not intended for the street. No headlights, brakelights, etc.

Oops, sorry. I didn't mean to duplicate the link already provided by Jonathan.

saw one in a shed a while back great looking car (sorry it was a little dark)

Attachments

• DSC02713 (Small).JPG
    DSC02713 (Small).JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 836
  • DSC02714 (Small).JPG
    DSC02714 (Small).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 811
markpreece, the body looks really nice, but i must say the shed is awesome, i love those kind of walls !

thanks for all the link everybody lots of info !

this looks like a nice concet, i mean, the engine is the midle of the car, the weight balance should be near 50/50
it has indepenent suspension on all 4 corners

ps: i would really like to learn for about ford/chevy engines, i hope i dont start a flame war, but i dont know a lot about the differences, any help
appreciated

Raca

There are 2 Cheetahs racing vintage occasionally in the Chicago area. My brother is a 30+ year racer/instructor that was assigned the task of instructing a student with one of these beasts. He found the car to be the most ill-mannered, unforgiving car he ever drove. He said it was either understeering or throttle oversteering.....there didn't seem to be a balance point. My recollection was that it was actually smaller than a AC Cobra and the driver position seemed to be an afterthought. Another instructor made the comment "That driving position reminds me of the kid's cartoons when they tape a seat onto a missle"

Ron Earp

Admin
more_ghz_project said:

ps: i would really like to learn for about ford/chevy engines, i hope i dont start a flame war, but i dont know a lot about the differences, any help
appreciated

That is easy. The Chevy engines you can find attached to chains in order moor ships in the harbor.

This is the Paddock....

They use the Chevy engines as anchors because the Ford engines powering the boat are too expensive to modify and keep running.....at least the anchor is inexpensive and reliable .........

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Fran, spoken like an ex-GM'er rockonsmile

And the boats are scheduled to be repowered by Toyota, who have graciously donated new engines at cost, and are eagerly awaiting the parts business to follow.....

p.s. Fran, just noticed "904" in your signature. How long has that been there? ;) Do you have a hookup with Technic in the UK now?

Last edited:
My uncle and his business partner used to race hydroplanes (2.5 ltr stock and 7 ltr stock). His partner, Steve, used a Chebbie 427 because it was affordable. However anytime a race boat showed up with a FORD 427, Steve wouldn't even take the boat off of the trailer. He got tired of racing his heart out for 2nd place.
:lol:

That is the difference between Ford and chevy....

:poke:

I think we are getting off the Cheetah topic but didn't the Chevrolet Corvette beat the Ford Aston Martin at the 24hrs of Le Mans a few times recently.....:pepper:

Sorry, please fogive me...

As for the Cheetah, It looks like it would be a handful to drive. When I was at the Bondurant School, one of the instructors said that really short WB cars are tricky. Big power/short WB could be fun,...but....

There was red Cheetah at the Elkhart Redman races last year....it had to be one of the new ones as it looked spectacular.....it was a roller on a trailer and if I remember it was for sale.....

Really neat piece of 60's thinking.....and design.

The new ones are supposed to be more driveable than the originals. I was told by the manufacturer that the new frames are constructed with larger diameter and thicker walled tubing than the originals to reduce the amount of chassis flex.

Back about 1978ish, when I was driving my Cobra on I-5 northbound in SW Portland, I had a Black Cheetah fly past me like there was no tomarrow. I attempted to gear down and catch up with him. Because of the flow of cars and no holes in the traffic, I was unable to get up to him. He took the next exit, and I could not get over to take the next exit too. So I just kept driving on my way. Then all of a sudden, waaaaaaa.....and he goes flying by me again! He had taken the exit, waited for me to go by the on ramp, and then gunned it past me. This time, he kept on going, and I was never able to manuver around traffic again to catch up with him.

As it turns out, the guy lived in Gladstone (suburb in SE Portland), and it had a 427 in it. I was told it was one of 2 or 3 that had a 427 installed instead of the normal sbc. I never kept in contact with the guy. Later on, I wish I would have kept some information on the car and the owner. I wonder where that car is today?

Gary Kadrmas

Orig's reported 90" wheelbase, 42" heigth, and 1550 curb lb.'s.
And Yes !
They Hauled Arse !
A south Seattle Chev dealer ..... Alan Green,
ran Corvette's, and and all so Cheetah's.
Jerry Grant was the main shoe for these car's.
Thomas built these car's with the help of Don Edmond's.
Known for building Sprint car's !
If you'd like to know how to drive a Cheetah,
I think some seat time in a Full Tilt Sprint car would go a Long Way !
(Something Everyone Should Try !)
Don't forget a change of drawer's !

Cheer's !

Attachments

• TC1.jpg
    TC1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 610
  • TC2.jpg
    TC2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 585
  • JG1.jpg
    JG1.jpg