1st RF in UK

JP,

I dont think he will want to wait for the requisite decade!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rick

Very good Rick, yes the MDA has taken time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BUT

You need to realise that much of my car has been development work for future MDA's.

AND

By the end of the Summer I imagine the lead time for chasis kit will be down to 4-6 weeks.

AND

The OLD delivery joke will be over.

AND

ALL will be able to see what MDA really does have to offer.

A comparison can then be drawn. I am very confident that the MDA is in fact superior to any other tubular chasis - out of the box so to speak. And the FACTS will speak for themselves.

I'm a patient man, and I know that from experience that the better product is the result of time and serious attention to quality.

Many people have given Mark Sibley a hard time - I put it down to jealousy. And it is totally un-just.

Best,

J.P

Can we still use the build manual joke and the handbags at dawn lines then? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Firstly let me appologise for taking so long to reply. I was playing hockey last evening (yes we won and I scored !!!!) and I got home at 11 o'clock and it was way after my bed time.

With the seat padding removed and the pedal box fully adjusted back , we have had Gordon Levy's engineer < Mathew> in the car. Mathew is a full 6'6" tall with LONG legs (sorry did not measure his inside leg).

Our drivers legs are at worst case level with the centre line of the front wheels and there are substantial bracings at ankle and knee level to protect in the case of an accident. As mentioned by JP, this is the case in almost all GT40's but is not the case in such things as Cobra's and Lotus 7 (clubman) replicas. RF also has door intrusion bars as standard.

Chris Liokos (ChrisL) on the forum is about your size and he fits in well, ask him with a PM.

Best wishes to all

Robert.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jerry,
Congratulations on a fine purchase. From what I've seen, the RF is truly and nice car.
I would be interested to know if you have decided on your engine and transmission specifications and your schedule for building the car. Also if Mr Chattell is offering you any technical back up.

james,
thanks for the congratulations! the engine will be stock 302 to start with, which will be modifyed in no time cos i just love tweaking engines. As for transmission i'll probably go for the audi six speed. Rick chattel is offering a full technical back-up with the rf's. the build schedule will be get the car in september and then spend every possible moment on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
hows the build coming on on your M.D.A.? what spec are you planning?is it going to be similar to J.P's?
all the best, jerry

Jerry

I'm envious but looking forward to the delivery of your Component RF40.

You do realise that as the first RF in the UK you will probably be inundated with requests to come and take a peek by prospective purchasers like myself!

Rick says 'Its OK. He's a nice guy and understands'

Great when you the agent not the customer!

Put me down as first on the list of visitors please.

Well done to you for purchasing and Robert for producing what looks to be a great product, and Rick for realising its potential in the UK.

Cheers

John J

Ian,
If they can't make an RF that you can fit in then they ain't doing their JOB ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ian, Believe me, I have a friend that is 6'4" and he sat in the Gulf GT with ease. I'm in hopes of him buying one soon. Robert Logan has devised an ingenous method of fitting tall people without changing important aspects of the car. If you really want a GT then you owe it to yourself to look into the Roaring Forties...
Yeah, I know, another commercial for RF. But what the heck, I believe in what I say.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jerry,
My machine is progressing well.
The body and chassis specification is the same as JP's but the fit out is mostly different. We had a bit of a delay modifying the layout and building the whole back end to a new design to accomodate my new ZF trannie.
Some parts on JPs car are the same such as the wheels and management system but the rest is radically different.
I am using an original GT40 racing block with a custom Crower crank to mate with the ZF and these are supported by chip controlled electric pumps for all oil, fuel and cooling services. I specified and procured all these parts myself with Mark's technical advice and he is also fitting them.
My interior is all original specification to keep the aesthetic including a complete set of NOS original Smiths / Lucas dash fittings.(Try finding an original white Lucas fan warning light).
I am currently messing around with a 1967 column indicator switch as used on the Mk3 road version. The existing contacts, as built are a bit lightweight, so I am beefing them up a bit. I have also modified my Jenvey throttle system to accomodate Weber horns and fitted a central cam operated throttle. I have a design for "out of sight" integral filters for my Weber horns.
Original bits like the dash fittings have taken a while to find so if you need any help you only have to ask.
MDA do get a few snipes about delivery, but they are the only guys out there who will actually accomodate you to build a turn-key, completely original car. When JP's car and mine are both finished, I hope you can pop over here for a look.

Bloody Hell James !

I thought my MDA was the dogs!

Sounds like a truly awesome car. There's nothing like those good ole Smiths gauges, and the rest, well . . . .

I eagerly await to see what people do have to see when they do see the finished articles.

James, any idea what colour scheme you are going for?

Best,

J.P

Robert Logan

James and JP,

I just love the way you guys hijack the "Roaring Forties" threads. I wish people would stick to the topics of the thread.

If you think I am just "winging" (which is usually accepted as a "POME" trait) it is not true. As one of the founders of this forum, I must admit that the use of this medium for straight blatent advertising is a little rich (now that should stir up a few!!!).

Please start your OWN thread and lets see how many READ it and dont just act as paracites.

Robert

Jimmymac,

I wish you all the best with your car.

I would just like to straighten out one little thing. MDA are not the only people who can offer a fully built, original style, turnkey car. RF do (and Robert will be delighted to build it) and CAV do as well. You will also be able to get a Superformance next year. RF are now on their 100th chassis and so not only can the car be turnkey, but it will benefit from the development that only experience can bring.

I can understand you and JP wanting to talk about your cars, but why don't you stop making outlandish claims both of you, wait until you get one on the road and then let it speak for itself?

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robert Logan

James and JP,

Well lets try again !!!!

I wish you would stop highjacking the "Roaring Forties" threads as you frequently do. As one of the three founder members of this forum the whole reason for the forum is to keep the GT40 family FULLY informed of what is going on with GT40's worldwide. I do not advertise except on the "manufacturers announcements" part of the forum or the "For sale" section.

I wish that all the other manufacturers would "put up or shut up" and get their own section on the forum (it is free and all the manufacturers have been asked and it seems to me, are to worried about what MIGHT transpire). Let MDA have their own section, let them explain how many cars they have made, how many kits they have produced and the REAL size of their operation.

I realy get fed up of paracites blatently highjacking legitimate threads for their own gain. I am sure that I am not the only person to view it this way.

JP write your own thread and lets see how many READ it!!!

Robert

MDA

Robert it certainly is not my intention to highjack ANY thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Not today at least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

But on a serious note. If Jerry states that the RF is better than all other kits available then that it is his opinion, BUT I also believe that the MDA is the best on offer too. And since MDA is based in the U.K I wondered why he had not had a proper look. It's that simple in this case.

I hope MDA do have a builders section. That would be great.

Now less of name calling. Parasite!! I've never been called that before! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

With regard to my lack of starting new threads. So what? When I'm good and ready!

Regards,

J.P

JP,
i did have a look at the MDA's at the exeter kit car show and the supercar show also at exeter,and talked to mr Sibly about his product for some time. If there had been an MDA on the show stand for me to inspect, then i would have been able to make a decision as to weather to progress towards a sale or not.
The cars on display were GTD's, not MDA's.I therefore decided not to buy one i couldnt inspect MDA's products.
I have also inspected GT40 kits from Tornado, CAV, GTD and Roaring Forties and decided that the RF was the better kit.every-one has, and, is entitled to thier own opinion about which kit is the better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess it bear's repeating...what is "best" for one customer is not necessarily "best" for another.
We all tend to speak from our own situation...

Every kit is a compromise between cost/content....
originality/modern....street/race...etc, etc
There is no singular "best" replica.

MikeD

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Robert,
What's all this about hijacking ?
Jerry and I were having a conversation here and it looks like your are the hijacker. Scared of something ?
I personally have nothing to gain from any of my input this forum, except getting some really good advice on parts for my car, albeit mostly from outside the UK. After all I believe it's still called a forum, and to me, unless you want to call it the RF secret handshake society, anybody can contribute if he likes and I shall continue to do so as long as it's democratic.
I will also say that I agree that there are now a lot of self-interested people hawking their wares on this forum, and the odd-ball plainly covetous type who like having digs at people from their little damp bedrooms. I will tell you now that I will not always rise to this because I don't really have time as I'm getting on with a busy life.
Incidentally, if you remember last year I did contact your company about purchasing one of your cars so I am not the partisan with my opinions about anybody's kits here.
I feel that no apology is necessary but I will respect your censorship if you believed that I am maligning your product in the slightest way.
All I want is some fun building my car without all this recent tripe.

Robert Logan

James and JP,

I am sorry that "sturing the pot" has offended. I am all for the FREE SPEECH thing , that is why I was one of three who started this FORUM. The last thing I want to do is to stop our members and non-members having their say regarding all things GT40.

I am most happy when opinions are from a position of strength. When the person making the coment has at least seen the car that they are bagging or not. I noted this morning that LEE has come on to the forum with his reasons for choosing a DRB over all the rest. Lee came here to Australia and NZ a year ago and checked out the manufacturers for himself. He chose the DRB for the reason of his perception of fragility of the Audi gearbox and the fact that the Ford engine could be lowered using a Porsche gearbox. These are his opinions and I respect him for those opinions. I would like to note here that we have had cars built (with mods) to fit ZF gearboxes and therefore the Porsche box would also fit. Rick Mertz has fitted a Porsche gearbox into his GTD and a great job he did with all the mods.

I have not commented about the MDA cars as I have never seen them and for those who have not seen my cars and wish to make coments, I believe you are at least uninformed.

I did not wish to offend anyone and I would not wish people to not contribute but to comment on things that are not known about is just alittle silly (I hope that coment does not offend either).

I am sure that JP and James both love their MDA's and I am sure they will be great cars when they are finished.

Best wishes to all owners,

Robert

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Robert,
No worries and no offence taken.
Although I did take grevious offence at you presuming that I am a Pom !.

RF UK UPDATE

The first 2 UK cars are nearing completion and will be shipped in the next few weeks, ahead of schedule.

Robert will be posting a few photos of Jerrys chassis (no 99) shortly - if that is OK with you Jerry!

Kitcar magazine's UK RF editorial will be out in August and we should be able to confirm the commencement date of the Kitcar RF build very shortly.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Back