Tyre Choice in UK

I'm looking at tyres for my RCR Mk1 here in UK which is heading toward IVA testing. It came with S rated (112mph) BFG tyres which I assume will not pass IVA. I guess V (149mph) would be acceptable. The only 295/50R15 and 205(or 215)/60R15 I can see right now are the very pricy Avons at around £1300 a set. But there seems to be another issue from their website which states the tyres can only be fitted to pre-registered old classics - is this correct?
Any advice on correct and good tyre choice and availability in UK for a new registration would be appreciated.
Cheers
Roger Allen

To be clear, here is the note on the Avon UK website:
"The Avon CR6ZZ is EXEMPT from the EU tyre labeling regulation EC1222/2009 because, The tyre is designed to be fitted only to vehicles registered for the first time before 1 October 1990. View the Exemption label."
Cheers
Roger Allen

Anyone got news on alternatives to the pricey Avons for 15" rims. With due respect to Avon whose excellent products I used successfully for many years sprinting and hill climbing they are very expensive for the road.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
A couple of years back I fitted 255 50 r15 v rated Kumho
Got 4 tyres front and back for about £330

But I cannot see them available now

Others used Maxis tyres of similar size and ratings
Ian

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Can you get Cooper Cobra GT tyres over there? If I remember correctly they are H rated (130 mph). Might be worth a look.

What about the Michelin TB5 or TB15's?

TB's are more expensive than Avons and not sure what milage they'd do on the road if driven enthusiastically, they are pretty soft. However I have a set on my rims for my project, so will see how we get on!

TB's are more expensive than Avons and not sure what milage they'd do on the road if driven enthusiastically, they are pretty soft. However I have a set on my rims for my project, so will see how we get on!
Yes you are right Chris ; you really need to have good suspension set up not to "cook" those too quickly :drunk:
particularly with hot weather and harddrive

Chris ; how is your project coming ....? any news in your thread :drunk:
Are you driving her ?

Roger,
I tried a lot of different tires
Michelin TB is short live on road, excellent tire but not the right size on front wheels.
I strongly suggest the Avon CR6ZZ, a bit expensive but best quality for road and track.
Success in your choice

Rgds
Fred

Mike Pass

Supporter
+1
Get the Avons. I have been using them for quite a few years. Apart from standing water they are very good and seem to last reasonably well - or maybe I am getting old. As the man said - the quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten. Shop around for the best price. BMTR, Longstone, Southern GT etc. 1,300 quid sounds a bit high to me.
Cheers
Mike

+1
Get the Avons. I have been using them for quite a few years. Apart from standing water they are very good and seem to last reasonably well - or maybe I am getting old. As the man said - the quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten. Shop around for the best price. BMTR, Longstone, Southern GT etc. 1,300 quid sounds a bit high to me.
Cheers
Mike

Agree 100% with Mike. Best investment I made were the Avons. Wonderful tyres. Around SPA they give almighty traction, feel and are so predictable. Last pretty well too. Best not spoil the boat for a ha'p'oth of tar!

If it is of interest I have 295/50x15 Hankook tyres on the back which are HR rated I don't have matching tyres on the front but for what I use it for its fine

A though for you. You mentioned the tire cost as being high. What is the cost of a new car? What is the cost of getting your body repaired after an accident? When it comes to safety, buy the best. I love my AVONS, however mind them when in standing water or a summer downpour.
Signed experience...

Yes you are right Chris ; you really need to have good suspension set up not to "cook" those too quickly :drunk:
particularly with hot weather and harddrive

Chris ; how is your project coming ....? any news in your thread :drunk:
Are you driving her ?

Slow but steady is the word Mic!!! Restored 2 tractors and now back on the car with plenty of vigor. Hope to get it wired up and the engine running by this summer. Done a lot of work but seems not a lot to show for it. Put an update on my thread (now I have learnt how to post pictures again!!)
Trust you are keeping well?

Back