Airbus A340 -Engine Failure

Found this a quite interesting footage (no simulation) of a flight from Zürich to Shanghai by "Pilot´s eye", a TV program featuring real flying footage. Here, they captured an engine # 3 failure and the crew´s handling of the situation (having some good swiss chocolate while dumping 53 tons of fuel...):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEf35NtlBLg"]Airbus A340 EMERGENCY - Engine Failure - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Keith

ACTUAL TRANSLATION:##

Ha! Today ve dump ze fuel and eat chokolat, zis is just practis, but tomorrow, ve are headed for London, unt ve vill NOT be dumping fuel, but 500lb schnitzels Be qvite sure about zat..

Zay gutbye to your Eye!

Ja.

Sorry, but I found it quite boring actually.

They simply did their job and followed a set of instructions, the checklist.

You guys would be amazed at all the inoperative equipment on an airliner at any given time.

Did anyone notice the red placard "#4 Fire Loop Inoperative"

That had to be a joke.

what I found interesting was neither pilot or co-pilot EVER looked out the windows in front while they were flying.

I get that they are in a controlled flight on autopilot, but geeze, talk about "head's down distraction"

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Lee,
they could equally have been IMC (in cloud for you groundhuggers) so looking out is immaterial. I have issues about resource management and an inop fire loop but the DDM (Despatch Deviations Manual ) may have a caveat in that the second loop has to be operative and its often a time limit such as 'return to base'. There seemed to be an overload on the Captain though I think it was self induced.

That had to be a joke.

That struck me, too. But since I find it hard to believe that they overlooked it during their pre-start checks my best guess is that it had remained there from the previous day´s test flight (a bit strange though).

Just a lay´s guess, of course.

@ Keith: Dumping Schnitzels over London...like that idea. How about dumping Bratwursts over Dave´s place?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

I flew in American's LAST DC6 flight on a charter with a friends father as Captain (circa 1966). As a result we spent much tine in the cockpit. The number of "system inop" and "system deactivated" tag on switches outnumbered the active ones!

Number two was pumping oil out at a rapid rate but it didn't seem to concern the crew much. I assumed then that they knew what they were doing. When I heard them argue about what river was below and was it time to turn, I wasn't so sure...........

Lee,
they could equally have been IMC (in cloud for you groundhuggers) so looking out is immaterial.

You can still "bump" into things in cloud!
As a glider pilot, look out is imperative to my survival as so many "spam can" pilots fly head down and are often oblivious to my presence. We carry no transponders and can often be found at heights up to FL19.5 esp in Scotland in Lee waves and don't show up terribly well on radar, we also have a very low frontal area so incredibly difficult to spot "head on", although will add, we don't float around in controlled airspace. But I believe there was a collision between a glider in wave and a Biz jet in the States some time ago, guess Minden way?
Heaven forbid if I was sucked into one of Rolls-Royce"s finest, I suspect the crew would be slightly more perturbed!!

I have issues about resource management and an inop fire loop but the DDM (Despatch Deviations Manual ) may have a caveat in that the second loop has to be operative and its often a time limit such as 'return to base'.

Great point David. Since airliners are but flying busses (revenue positive) it makes sense to have redundant fire detection loops on each engine.

The aircraft I'm involved with (FA7X) are merely gigantic cost centers and as such do not require the systems redundancy of an airliner.

We would not dispatch without engine fire detection, unless we were coming home from Angola or Nigeria....lol! :)

I flew in American's LAST DC6 flight on a charter with a friends father as Captain (circa 1966). As a result we spent much tine in the cockpit. The number of "system inop" and "system deactivated" tag on switches outnumbered the active ones!

Number two was pumping oil out at a rapid rate but it didn't seem to concern the crew much. I assumed then that they knew what they were doing. When I heard them argue about what river was below and was it time to turn, I wasn't so sure...........

That's funny!

But operating 4 R2800's was more of a "Top the oil tanks and check the fuel" situation :shocked: :D

Back